What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Note
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Note »

Appreciate the input on these survival horror games opa, stickem, and Ack. I saw a listing on ebay for Carrier and Blue Stinger for about the cost of one of the game's current going rates. Maybe I should have jumped on it, but have some other games currently stuck in the mail.

I saw some footage of that Alone in the Dark title a few months back and thought it looked decent -- good to hear it's recommended. I'll have to check that one out down the line. Alone in the Dark on the 3DO was the first survival horror game I experienced back in the day, as my cousins had it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Note wrote:
stickem wrote:Playing through Nekketsu Oyako. It feels like streets of rage on the saturn. I only have a burned copy but this looks like one I may drop the money on to buy.

I've wanted to try this for a while, the gameplay footage I've seen looks pretty good. Glad to hear you liked it as well. Did you end up finishing the game?

another snow day home from work so i spent a few go's on this one today. the first playthrough, i made it to the final stage again before it glitched on me, not advancing the game after all bad guys cleared. next playthrough beat it, takes about an hour with 5 stages/worlds. at some point i'll run through it again with the other 2 characters. basically streets of rage 3 on the saturn (but easier) with more wackiness thrown in. heck of a soundtrack as well, combos to pull off, double jumps.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

stickem wrote:another snow day home from work so i spent a few go's on this one today. the first playthrough, i made it to the final stage again before it glitched on me, not advancing the game after all bad guys cleared. next playthrough beat it, takes about an hour with 5 stages/worlds. at some point i'll run through it again with the other 2 characters. basically streets of rage 3 on the saturn (but easier) with more wackiness thrown in. heck of a soundtrack as well, combos to pull off, double jumps.

I'm envious of your snow day but hope the weather isn't too harsh where you are. That's too bad about the glitch throwing off your first game, but it happens -- part of the joy of playing on original hardware. Lol, but it's awesome you were able to finish the game. I think I'd really enjoy this title, as I'm a fan of the SOR series. I'm gonna check it out through emulation tonight, but I might also have to add it to my Saturn want list.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Beat emups weren't really my thing when they came out so I'm just now getting into to those.

usually if it's a game I like that I've pirated, i purchase it within a certain price range. I have stacks of cdrs i don't play anymore because I've purchased the games.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I am kind of in between games at the moment, not sure what I want to play next, I bought bloodstained: ritual of the night because I heard there was a linear classic mode added and I started that. It is fun, but it so blatantly rips off the original Castlevania that it feels more like a rom hack than its own game. The level design is near identical as are the enemies and placements, the bosses are changed, but I was expecting a game inspired by castlevania(like curse of the moon) not a game that just copies it. A bit dissapointed but I will probably finish it.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I wanted to finish seven mansions tonight but hit a roadblock. halfway into the game you run into something that infects you if you get hit. there are 2 paths to follow after that, depending if you get infected or not. no indication you have so much time left infected to find the serum, just extra steps and fmv sequences I thought and in the gamefaqs walkthrough. I get over 2/3's into to this and I finally get to a cut scene and find this serum but no matter how fast I do this sequence the game ends on me like I had the virus to long. replaying from a start point, moving as fast as I can, sometimes I can heal myself but not my partner (2 serums to pickup and use), other times I may hit a wall running to fast and I can't heal before the death sequence. If I have to start over and use a walkthrough to have enough time, It's fucking bullshit like this that make me not want to finish some games. I literally need more 20 seconds lol.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

So if you look at every Zelda ranked video they have either Triforce Heroes or Zelda 2 at last place.

This is only my first impression of it, but I've been playing Zelda 2 for a few hours now, and it's awesome. Yes, it's difficult, but I find the precision of the combat to be fascinating, the dungeon designs are fairly complex but not in an annoying way, and horsehead's pose is fantastic. Sure, the lives system is annoying, but even in far away places like Death Mountain it only takes like 5 minutes to get there. The argument they say is that it's not a Zelda game, but like... The formula wasn't even established yet. I went in expecting a fun NES game and so far I am getting exactly what I want.

Monkey Island 2 on the other hand is so disappointing. It's missing that sense of wonder and adventure that the first part has. It also replaced the fantastic absurdist humour and replaced it with jokes you've seen a million times.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Zelda II is one of the LoZ games. Glad you’re enjoying it, PH.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hm... but... are the Zelda CDi games a LoZ game?

So I just finished Snatcher (Sega CD emu) and moved directly into the PS1 English fan translation (running patch in emu).

Man... the dedication to translate this game is amazing. Obviously a ton of text. IMO the Japanese voice acting and English subs add to the mysterious noir film atmosphere.

I'm only about an hour in and can tell I'm in for a ride like Snatcher 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

PretentiousHipster wrote:This is only my first impression of it, but I've been playing Zelda 2 for a few hours now, and it's awesome. Yes, it's difficult, but I find the precision of the combat to be fascinating, the dungeon designs are fairly complex but not in an annoying way, and horsehead's pose is fantastic. Sure, the lives system is annoying, but even in far away places like Death Mountain it only takes like 5 minutes to get there. The argument they say is that it's not a Zelda game, but like... The formula wasn't even established yet. I went in expecting a fun NES game and so far I am getting exactly what I want.

The game definitely has some of-the-time confusion and hidden information, but on the whole I love Zelda 2. It is one of my favorite titles in the series and deserves revisiting. I would love to see it remade in the Breath of the Wild engine. Sure, you'd lose that unique 2D combat, but you're not going to get that in a modern Zelda game anyway, and the world really invites the kind of exploration Breath of the Wild introduces.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.