Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
artphotodude
8-bit

Out of the Gate Running - RetroTink 2X...

by artphotodude Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:40 pm

******* UPDATE - NEW INFO *******
So spoke with the people making and selling this and it turns-out the tech is using Field-Scaling, so there is no loss of vertical resolution on 480i. What the box does is simply double one 240p field (or both, if in 480i) so you wind with either:

- one 480p frame for each 240p frame if coming from a 240p output,

- or 2 480p frames for each 240p field stacked at twice the refresh-rate.

Now if you are in say a 3D Driving game with lots of vertical motion you won't be getting really 480 detail, because the original interlaced-frame didn't have it, BUT for more horizontal or static pictures (like say Resident Evil 2 on N64 running at 480i), you are indeed getting a sharper picture and all the resolution the original signal had to offer.

Further the "Smoothing" function interpolates in between frames (line-average antialiasing), so you wind up getting a more solid image in 480i games after processing than you would have had even on the original with less vertical resolution loss, and comb-tooth ege aliasing detail-loss.

This is the box to get. If he goes on to make one with scaling and scanlines, Framemeister (Micomsoft) might be out of business.

WOW :D all this for under $100!!

Input Composite, S-Video or Component from any non-ED/HD device and output to HDMI without latency (roughly 1 frame out of every 60).

While there are obviously other niceties we could want, for the money this is unbeatable. The creator is planning to keep working on this too eventually adding support for scanlines and possibly scaling.

He currently also has a breakout "hat" of similar configuration for people using Raspberry Pi for emulation that can output to Composite, S-Video, Component and VGA - providing high-quality arcade simulation using readily-available CRT devices.

Metal Jesus Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgW8pXcgew

Pre-Orders:
https://castlemaniagames.com/shop?olsPa ... hip-083118
Attachments
RetroTink2x.jpg
RetroTink2x.jpg (167.38 KiB) Viewed 9590 times
Last edited by artphotodude on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you"
— Yogi Berra
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Out of the Gate Running - RetroTink 2X...

by Sarge Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:10 pm

I just saw this recently and have been doing some research. Sounds awesome. The only reason I haven't bitten on an OSSC is that most of the systems I really want to leverage use composite and S-Video, and I haven't modded them for RGB/Component. I'm very, very tempted to jump in on this once I see more feedback.
artphotodude
8-bit

by artphotodude Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Sarge wrote:I just saw this recently and have been doing some research. Sounds awesome. The only reason I haven't bitten on an OSSC is that most of the systems I really want to leverage use composite and S-Video, and I haven't modded them for RGB/Component. I'm very, very tempted to jump in on this once I see more feedback.

Should be GREAT for N64 (DAMN that's expensive for HDMI most of the time).

What I really hope someone makes is a 240p Downscaler for all the Great Neo Geo and Capcom 2D games that the XBox and PS2 force up to 480i. These look so much better with the normal scanlines.
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you"
— Yogi Berra
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Here's an interview with the creator:
https://youtu.be/pdIgmQH4AHA

After confirming my TVs can force 4:3 480p over HDMI, I'm in. Planning to pre order wave 2.

[Add] Should explain the creator confirmed it is 480p at 4:3 but some TVs may force this to 16:9, and it's up to your settings/menu options from there.

My 3 Vizios will not let me force 720 or 1080 to 4:3 over HDMI. They will for component (where input is available). Odd quirk.

Fortunately, I have a BluRay player that lets me force resolutions for testing. 4:3 over HDMI at 480p worked. 8)

I think this fills a great gap in the market for those looking to future proof but not wanting the full RGB jump.

Hmmmm.... any idea how widescreen will work?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 pm

So the question is, which 480p resolution does it push out, 640x480 or 720x480? If it's the former, I'm golden. I can set to PC mode, and I won't get overscan problems. If it's 720x480, then I have to set to Game mode, and I get overscan cropping. At least with the tests on my PC.

EDIT: Interesting. After doing some testing, my PS3 in 480p mode pushes out a 720x480 signal. However, the XBOX 360 pushes out a 640x480 signal. I'm hoping it's the latter; I think folks have said that the signal is in 4:3, which would be 640x480, and not the 3:2 of 720x480.
benderx
Next-Gen

by benderx Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 am

I was thinking of getting this, but the price for a small device just seems off putting. Maybe a revision and $60 model.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am

Sarge wrote:So the question is, which 480p resolution does it push out, 640x480 or 720x480? If it's the former, I'm golden. I can set to PC mode, and I won't get overscan problems. If it's 720x480, then I have to set to Game mode, and I get overscan cropping. At least with the tests on my PC.

EDIT: Interesting. After doing some testing, my PS3 in 480p mode pushes out a 720x480 signal. However, the XBOX 360 pushes out a 640x480 signal. I'm hoping it's the latter; I think folks have said that the signal is in 4:3, which would be 640x480, and not the 3:2 of 720x480.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing this device will force a widescreen signal on its own.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 am

I am thinking component is primarily aimed at using the retrovision cables (vs PS2 and oXbox 480p 16:9 games).

This could be a huge plus. My TVs don't accept 240p over component natively. Convert that to 480p over HDMI... different story.

I don't own those cables :lol: but it would make it to where I can play PS1 games over component versus swapping cables.

Also, future proofing a large portion of my consoles. Looks like 6th gen consoles will still need the OSSC or XRGB mini (unless it's a 4:3 game to begin with).

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

The creator says it's 720x480.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 pm

so, i don't really know too much about video signals and how to acheive better quality. my saturn and genny are connected scart to a simple scart to hdmi convertor to my hdtv. my dreamcast vga to a simple vga to hdmi convertor. i take it this product won't really improve, or get the same results plus scanlines, than my current setup. i would be running s-video from my dreamcast and saturn and composite from the genny to this. to me the signal is a step down coming from the consoles but basically being converted to the same thing. am i wrong??
Return to Old-School Gaming News