Looks like LRG will be making SEGA CD/Saturn US cases

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Segata
Next-Gen

Looks like LRG will be making SEGA CD/Saturn US cases

Post by Segata »

They posted this on twitter saying they will be exactly on spec as the originals. No timetable when they will be available. If this was posted before my apologies.

Makes me VERY happy.
Ziggy

Re: Looks like LRG will be making SEGA CD/Saturn US cases

Post by Ziggy »

Finally.

I wonder how expensive shipping will be so that you can get them to your door step undamaged.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks cool, not a fan of LRG, however. Are these just destined to be snatched up and hoarded by "collectors" or flipped on eBay immediately?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I don't collect Sega CD or Saturn games, but I think it's great that there'll finally be replacements for those fragile cases.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

The large hard plastic CD cases are a bad design, just too fragile. Be neat if the replacement made of more malleable clear plastic, but then would not be crystal clear. I think the smartest route maybe a custom DVD style case that would take the original instruction book with the clear sleeve allowing seen from the front. To keep the originality, the replacement case in the OP look decent. Taken care stored on the shelf, should be fine.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Looks cool, not a fan of LRG, however. Are these just destined to be snatched up and hoarded by "collectors" or flipped on eBay immediately?

No. I don't think so as they have a general extras and merch section on their website that is not the LRG games. Slipcovers and such that are just there.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I had heard about this recently and am very excited. I hope they are getting 10,000+ of these made for the initial run because they are going to go so quick. If they are around say $2.50 per case at volume ill likely be in for around 75 cases. I'd love to make every single one of my saturn and sega cd games look and feel like new again. if you guys hear a release date or an order link please edit the original thread here to let us know.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

From an Era user paraphrasing a series of tweets.
These won’t be limited (“We’ll keep making them until demand fizzles”) and are made of the same plastic as the originals, though they are apparently looking into more reinforced plastic for a more expensive “deluxe” case option, according to later tweets.

So don't worry about limited print runs of a case.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Now if they could just strike a deal to make PAL Dreamcast cases... (Retro Bit should totally do that if they haven't already got it in the pipeline).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

After seeing the increased reaction from these, the owner is thinking he might need to increase his initial order. Sounds like these are probably the pre-production samples.
But I'm sure if they do well, they will restock. They spent a lot on the tooling, so I'm sure they will produce what they will be able to sell.

But if I also understand something else he mentioned in the past, there might be a competing company releasing these as well, so you might see some price competition down the line.