Retro Fighters "Brawler64" controller

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Retro Fighters "Brawler64" controller

Post by CRTGAMER »

Looks like a good controller, but why keep the octagon stops on the analog stick? I prefer no stops for spin moves. Nintendo got rid of the stops in the newer controllers. I'll stick to the Superpad for the N64; though still has stops, the steel shaft on the stick more robust.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

nightrnr wrote:Otherwise, I like the stock controllers well enough, changed out with Gamecube style analog. That combo is pretty tough to beat and I may well just put my money towards more of those.

I swapped in a Gamecube stick on one of my n64 controllers (one I acquired used that had a completely broken stick) and ended up not liking it. It's incredibly sensitive and makes some games really tough to control.

I know plenty of folks like it though, so it's nice that the option is available.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have the Super Pad 64. Thought I'd love it but ultimately decided it was "okay" and I really don't use it any more often than the standard controller. This Brawler64 looks right up my alley though.
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

Betagam7 wrote:What games are people planning to use this for? I can't think of that many N64 fighters (which seems to be the inspiration for the design) although checking this very website their were more than I remember:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-n64- ... me-library

I'm one of the people who never really had a problem with the N64 controller. A lot of people also forget that many of the games designed for it feel more intuitive on the original (i.e, the placement of the Z trigger etc). As a kid I bought one of these as a second controller and regretted it as I preferred the original.

I thought it would be better for the ISS football games,but it never was.

Holy shit I had that and hated it. The original controller was way better.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Ya know, after giving it some thought, woulda been nice if it were wireless. Oh well.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I backed the Retro Fighters 64 controller and am excited to give a try when it arrives. I think it will take a little getting use to on games that use the Z Trigger heavily but any games that done should really benefit from the more modern design.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Retrogameresource wrote:

I honestly don't get the beef with the original controller. I don't remember anybody complaining about it back in the day and I never regarded it as uncomfortable or ergonomically impractical and don't really recall any of my friends having similar feelings. Quite the opposite in fact.

Of course this doesn't negate personal preference of others but I can't help but think that this "general opinion" that the original controller was terrible is another piece of false history that comes from popular Youtuber opinion becoming the accepted universal truth. So just as people now believe that the NES was huge in the UK, it seems that equally we are all supposed to remember hating the N64 controller when, in actuality, it was widely praised at the time for its innovation and design.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't remember people hating on it either until the dual analog controller took off after a year or two once Ape Escape on PS1 came out. It just wasn't a thing yet and the controller was comfortable to use for most people yet it did get joke images of people with 3 hands holding it or it being batmans new battarang.

I could see maybe really big or fat hands getting rubbed if you held the middle and the left part scraped up the back of a hand I suppose.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

CFFJR wrote:I swapped in a Gamecube stick on one of my n64 controllers (one I acquired used that had a completely broken stick) and ended up not liking it. It's incredibly sensitive and makes some games really tough to control.

I know plenty of folks like it though, so it's nice that the option is available.

I know exactly what you mean; it is a little sensitive.
A necessary/acceptable evil for me though. It takes some getting used to, but I've adapted (mostly). Some games let you adjust sensitivity of the analog, so that helps too.
Oddly, I struggle doing the quick spin attack (no charging) in Zelda with it, when I can do it easily with the original stick.

Still a great way to revitalize a bad controller though. I keep a few original style replacements handy; but I don't have to worry as much about the GameCube ones.
...just another lost soul...
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

Betagam7 wrote:
Retrogameresource wrote:

I honestly don't get the beef with the original controller. I don't remember anybody complaining about it back in the day and I never regarded it as uncomfortable or ergonomically impractical and don't really recall any of my friends having similar feelings. Quite the opposite in fact.

Of course this doesn't negate personal preference of others but I can't help but think that this "general opinion" that the original controller was terrible is another piece of false history that comes from popular Youtuber opinion becoming the accepted universal truth. So just as people now believe that the NES was huge in the UK, it seems that equally we are all supposed to remember hating the N64 controller when, in actuality, it was widely praised at the time for its innovation and design.

Agreed, it definitely is not ideal for all genres, but its poor quality is overhyped. It was basically the best option for 3D games at the time and is the reason sony had to release dual shock.
Saturns 3D controller was pretty solid too, but many of its best games were 2D.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation