Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Retro Fighters "Brawler64" controller

by CFFJR Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 am

A quick search didn't pull anything up for this, so here it is.

http://retrofighters.com/

A modern style n64 controller, apparently successfully kickstarted last year.

I honestly love modern controllers (and I'm not sorry for saying it. Xbox One has the best controller since the Saturn, you ask me), and while I never hated the original N64 controllers, this design is slick. Also looks like a better option than the hori pads, which feel really small. They're taking preorders, so I'll be getting a couple.

Anyone else interested?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Retro Fighters "Brawler64" controller

by Jagosaurus Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am

Nice this is actually coming to fruition. I remember seeing this about 6 months back when it was in development.

Now if they'll make a USB version :)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm

I have to admit, that looks pretty cool to me! :mrgreen: The thirty-dollar MSRP is pretty darn reasonable. I don't keep an N64 connected, but if I did, I would use this "Brawler64" controller for sure.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 pm

I want it but sadly March 2018. Everything I want practically is coming out that month plus PS+ renewal. I will have to wait. Hopefully it sticks around and doesn't become really hard to get like the Hori ones.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Looks top notch, I saw the design awhile back and was hoping it would be real. I have no issues with the N64 controller, but it'd be cool to use something new and like this nowadays.

Wonder if the C buttons are a bit of a stretch to hit though. That could be a make or break thing depending on some games (Goldeneye).
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm

I had never even heard of this before but it looks amazing. So amazing that I just pre-ordered one. Haha
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 pm

I like it but I'd want the C buttons to be the same size as A and B. I have a Hori fighting pad that is similar to this.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Looks boss. Will get.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 pm

What games are people planning to use this for? I can't think of that many N64 fighters (which seems to be the inspiration for the design) although checking this very website their were more than I remember:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-n64- ... me-library

I'm one of the people who never really had a problem with the N64 controller. A lot of people also forget that many of the games designed for it feel more intuitive on the original (i.e, the placement of the Z trigger etc). As a kid I bought one of these as a second controller and regretted it as I preferred the original.

I thought it would be better for the ISS football games,but it never was.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:48 am

Okay, so that does look slick and I wouldn't mind one to try out.

However, if I was designing an N64 controller, it would need a second analog (extra C buttons) and a way to toggle inverted flight controls (y-axis, up/down movements).

Otherwise, I like the stock controllers well enough, changed out with Gamecube style analog. That combo is pretty tough to beat and I may well just put my money towards more of those.
...just another lost soul...
Return to Old-School Gaming News