SFII SNES Re-Issue & The Vinyl-ization of Retro Games

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: SFII SNES Re-Issue & The Vinyl-ization of Retro Games

Post by Gunstar Green »

Nemoide wrote:I don't have an SNES, but I could be interested in re-issues for other consoles if the right titles were made available. Honestly, 5,500 seems like a huge print run to me. Maybe that's me as a collector of esoteric books and vinyl records, but I'm more used to print runs of less than 1,000. Especially if this is in any way ACTUALLY a fire hazard, because WTF is even up with that? And I feel like Street Fighter II isn't a great pick because I assume most Street Fighter fans already own a copy on some console...

I'd like MUSHA for Genesis next. Or maybe something that never got a US release, like Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei for NES. I CAN DREAM!

More legal reproductions like this would be a really cool thing. We don't really need it for something like Street Fighter II though and we likely won't see any for more esoteric things that actually need them.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Oh I don't know. Square-Enix always seem to act like they're in a panic for being short on funds with every FF title going into a overrun of time and debt. Yet they love to repetitive shovel out their SNES and PS classics for mobile formats and on PC. I would not put it passed them to do SOM, CT, FF4, FF5(as a fresh new!) and FF6 cartridge box, the works releases for $100 too. They'd fly like crazy and it would be little expense to them to just re-run their old archived materials as long as they didn't lose the masters to touch up where needed. Also could see Konami get in on the act as they too like Capcom have been into this style of retro payout backing both the Nintendo mini consoles as well.

I hate to admit it, but if these fell back to prices we got in the day (generally $50 though Square loved to gouge to $70) for SNES games and they re-released them as new I'd likely buy into a few. I'm game for a vinyl-ization of old games like this if they're done in a consumer friendly way and pricing which at $100 SF2 is anything but. The new vinyl we see these days aren't high dollar messes and they seem to be taking hold. Hell I even have been scouting out info and models of old record players lately hoping to find something small and useful at a Goodwill (one that stands alone without other fluff than a pair of speakers.) No luck yet but it would be nice.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Why not just get the CD release? A lot of the vinyl stuff is also being released on CD or digitally as well. And if you're not a vinyl buff who likes the unique distortion introduced by how record players work it just isn't worth it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I grew up with a hand-me down late 70s/early 80s record player and receiver (tape deck too.) I found I liked the sound off records better than the tapes and later CDs too. That's why I said that. I have easy access in this area to a heap of records and they're cheap so it would be a fun thing to hunt around for and listen to while I work or do other stuff in the house. I mostly listen to music from the 60s-80s anyway so it's out there and plentiful.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hey, if you're already comfortable with records, great. It means you know what you are getting into. There are some folks who are new to the medium who are lured by false promises, and I encourage them to only dabble if they are willing to be committed or don't have better options. We have a Sony turntable and all it does it sit unused. Just too much hassle to deal with.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I wish I could remember what it was, may have been the same as the receiver and tape deck which were both Realistic brand from the late 70s. I used them for a very long time, later in life as a really smooth stereo output for my consoles through much of the 90s. They eventually croaked and that was basically that a good 20 years ago now.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

Glow in the dark copies will be randomly distributed?

Well, they just lost a sale. If I'm not getting the glow in the dark one than I'm not giving them my hard earned cash
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Juan Aguacate wrote:Glow in the dark copies will be randomly distributed?

Well, they just lost a sale. If I'm not getting the glow in the dark one than I'm not giving them my hard earned cash

That's kinda a weird way of doing it. Treat it like a Mondo poster and have a more expensive, limited variant that is the first to sell out.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

The funniest part of this story wasn't the "fire warning" part, but the moment that Rose Coloured Gaming tried to imply on Twitter that this fully licensed reproduction was overpriced. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Wow yeah they have no right to be making comments like that when the prices on their goods are through the roof and they're not even licensed as it's straight up ripping off IP and hacking of goods depending what you're after.