Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: RetroFreak (11 consoles in 1)

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Anyone else using this thang?

That built-in "Famicom" game I had appear - I mentioned it in my last post (months ago) - is called Plesam in Paku Paku World. It's alright.

I observed something odd about this system. When the console region is set to "auto" two of my North American Genesis games boot the Japanese version! Fatal Labyrinth and The Revenge of Shinobi, to be exact. Are there Genesis games out there with the North American and Japanese versions built into the same cart, Neo Geo style? I can't make sense of this otherwise. Also, my copy of Golden Axe won't boot unless I have the region set to North American - otherwise I get a message saying the game is not supported outside of North and South America.
guitalele81

by guitalele81 Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 am

Hey everyone!

I use the RetroFreak and really like it. The only game I couldn't seem to dump was Mario RPG for the SNES. Anyone still using theirs?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 am

I know Super Mario RPG uses the SA-1 chip on the cartridge, and that's a tricky chip to emulate. Could that be the issue?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

guitalele81

by guitalele81 Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:12 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I know Super Mario RPG uses the SA-1 chip on the cartridge, and that's a tricky chip to emulate. Could that be the issue?

Ahh thanks maybe! I use my Retron 3 to play it, so no big deal. At some point I need to get the NES adapter for the RF, too. Overall it's been really solid in the 2 years or so I've had it. I had a Retron 5 for about 2 months before the SNES slot pins broke off. For people that don't use the RF or Retron systems, do you play your games on the original hardware?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm

My copy of Super Mario RPG works on the RetroFreak. You're probably just having a problem with insertion. SNES games with extra chips typically have "longer" contacts at the end of the board. The clone consoles tend to have difficulty with these. Make sure the game is extra clean.

And remember, the RetroFreak can also play straight-up ROMs from the SD card, so there's always that option if the cart remains finicky.
guitalele81

by guitalele81 Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:25 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:My copy of Super Mario RPG works on the RetroFreak. You're probably just having a problem with insertion. SNES games with extra chips typically have "longer" contacts at the end of the board. The clone consoles tend to have difficulty with these. Make sure the game is extra clean.

And remember, the RetroFreak can also play straight-up ROMs from the SD card, so there's always that option if the cart remains finicky.

Thanks I'll give it another try after cleaning!
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:05 am

Anyone have an idea if the RetroFreak Gear Converter works on a Retron 5?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:10 pm

I would doubt it. It's reliant on a RetroFreak firmware update.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:20 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I would doubt it. It's reliant on a RetroFreak firmware update.

Oddly, though, people are reporting the opposite to work- the Retron 5 adapter with the RetroFreak system.
Return to Old-School Gaming News