Favorite Games of All Time by gender, nationality, and age

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Games of All Time by gender, nationality, and a

Post by BoringSupreez »

Hatta wrote:Man, it's like PC gaming in the 1990s doesn't even exist for these people.

It doesn't exist for most people. Try asking an average 20-30 year old about gaming as a child, they'll tell you about Nintendo and Playstation and maybe even Sega, but not PC. PC gaming was even nerdier back then than it is now.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoringSupreez wrote:
Hatta wrote:Man, it's like PC gaming in the 1990s doesn't even exist for these people.

It doesn't exist for most people. Try asking an average 20-30 year old about gaming as a child, they'll tell you about Nintendo and Playstation and maybe even Sega, but not PC. PC gaming was even nerdier back then than it is now.

If it makes Hatta feel better, I'm sure a comparable list from folks on this site would include at least a couple PC games. I'd have to include Half-Life for the hundreds of hours(if not thousands) I put into its singleplayer, multiplayer, expansions, mods, etc. And Doom is one of the most personally important games I've ever played, though there are a lot of great titles I used to enjoy, like Castle of the Winds, Heretic, Escape Velocity, Zone 66, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, WarCraft, Monkey Island, Dungeon Keeper, Total Annihilation, Baldur's Gate, Tyrian, ZZT, Ken's Labyrinth, the King's Quest games, etc. Apogee, id, Epic MegaGames, LucasArts, Maxxis, Bullfrog, and Sierra were just a few companies I absolutely adored.

Remind me to hug a PC for my childhood.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I played a lot of computer games as a kid. We had a Mac and, eventually, a PC. Countless hours were sunk into Lemmings and the Ultima Collection.

Funny thing is, once I discovered SNES9X and NESticle I didn't play a true PC game for years. Guess I truly prefer consoles.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

I wonder how many voters/users there are? If you go to the last page, there's gems such as Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Wheelie Breakers, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey '98, AC/DC Live: Rock Band - Track Pack and Smackdown vs Raw 2009 listed because they all got 1 vote.
samsonlonghair wrote:I am deeply disappointed by the lack of Sega Love.

This. Not that it's anything new, but no wonder the way AAA video games are when you look at these lists. Fallout 3 is number 5 yet Fallout and Fallout 2 aren't even in the top 50? Skyrim, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are the best RPGs of all time?
I did find this though
asd.jpg
asd.jpg (180.9 KiB) Viewed 4549 times

That's quite PC heavy. I saw games like Thief 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate Age of Empire 2, Monkey Island, Jagged Alliance 2, Alpha Centauri, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle Ultima VII, Wizardry 8 and some other classic PC games reaching the top 10-30 in some countries/generations.

It also seems like the early 1990s get much less love than the late 1990s. Not to even mention 1980s. And current generation games are way more represented at the top than any other generation.
Seems like only Nintendo games from older eras get often well represented at the top spots. Ocarina of Time, A link the Past, Super Metroid, SMB 3, Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, games like that. It's not just this poll where I've seen that happening. It's not like that with Sega or PC games, not to mention platforms that are even less popular/relevant today (SNK, Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, NEC etc). Maybe it's because Nintendo keeps on re-releasing some of it's old games on new platforms, introducing those games to younger generations?
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Menegrothx wrote:I wonder how many voters/users there are? If you go to the last page, there's gems such as Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Wheelie Breakers, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey '98, AC/DC Live: Rock Band - Track Pack and Smackdown vs Raw 2009 listed because they all got 1 vote.
samsonlonghair wrote:I am deeply disappointed by the lack of Sega Love.

This. Not that it's anything new, but no wonder the way AAA video games are when you look at these lists. Fallout 3 is number 5 yet Fallout and Fallout 2 aren't even in the top 50? Skyrim, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are the best RPGs of all time?
I did find this though
asd.jpg

That's quite PC heavy. I saw games like Thief 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate Age of Empire 2, Monkey Island, Jagged Alliance 2, Alpha Centauri, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle Ultima VII, Wizardry 8 and some other classic PC games reaching the top 10-30 in some countries/generations.

It also seems like the early 1990s get much less love than the late 1990s. Not to even mention 1980s. And current generation games are way more represented at the top than any other generation.
Seems like only Nintendo games from older eras get often well represented at the top spots. Ocarina of Time, A link the Past, Super Metroid, SMB 3, Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, games like that. It's not just this poll where I've seen that happening. It's not like that with Sega or PC games, not to mention platforms that are even less popular/relevant today (SNK, Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, NEC etc). Maybe it's because Nintendo keeps on re-releasing some of it's old games on new platforms, introducing those games to younger generations?

And still, where's the Sega Love?

On the topic of '90s PC games, I don't see many of my favorites there either. No Myst. No Oddworld. No TIM. No Lemmings. I see plenty of shooters on that list, not too many thinkers.