Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Watermelon Pier Solar HD Kickstarter

by Tanooki Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Foolish is opinion based, and my opinion is a fool would pay that much for an unlicensed video game for a long dead system because the developer hasn't made enough copies, just as I feel it's foolish to a lesser degree to pay what people do on the after market being too impatient waiting on them to make more new copies for sale on their site. It's an opinion, everyone is allowed one and many will either agree or not with it because it's like a theory, not a provable fact. I feel a fool would do that and I know I'm not alone given the interest in others to buy cheaper variants, stealing a ROM for an everdrive or whatever possibilities there may be.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 pm

I've lost track of this conversation a bit. I'm not sure which version or what price we're talking about. But I'll just say I don't think licensed or unlicensed matters. If someone pays a price for a game and gets enough enjoyment out of it to justify that cost to them, then good for them. That's my take.

I might think it's foolish that someone would spend $60 on an Assassin's Creed game, because I've yet to get the appeal of those games. But I spent $50 on Pier Solar and am having a great time with it. Money well spent - to me.

I admit I don't get why someone would spent hundreds for the game instead of waiting on an inevitable reprint. But again, if someone bought it and played it and felt good about their purchase - good for them.

This being a retro forum and all, I think that there's an allure to playing on old hardware. So there's that. Pier Solar didn't interest me as a Steam game even though it was much cheaper. But as a Dreamcast game, I'm really impressed with the effort.

And this is tangential, but I think we need to get away from thinking that indie games (or whatever you want to call them) deserve less money automatically. No matter how you cut it, it took a team of devs spending a lot of time to make this game. If we don't put up the bucks to support that and say "yes, please keep doing this" then we're going to just get crap games instead. I know I've felt ripped off by Dux or Last Hope. But this or Sturmwind I felt really good about the money spent.

So... I don't know. Rambling.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:04 am

I agree, Noise, with everything you just said.

I decide how much I want to pay for a game, based on how much I think I will enjoy it. Pier Solar is worth it. A lot of Indie and unlicensed games are worth it. I'm not sure why anyone would think they are of less value or worth.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:40 pm

I agree I don't know why someone would feel they're of less value or worth, unless some game just doesn't have the polish or quality to it. Just because it's indie doesn't means it's awesome too. :) I never argued this gem of an RPG was subpar, I questioned doubling the price and those who can't wait on announced reprints running to ebay to pay $100-150 for them as it seems dumb.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I also agree, I just can't justify (personally) paying the price for a game that I already own... even though all the nice stuff being said in this thread is making me want it sooooooo bad.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:04 am

The game is back in stock if anyone is interested. The strategy guide is too.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:32 am

Reprise wrote:Watermelon are literally the shittiest company ever. My cat could run a better fucking business than them.

Their website has been down for 5 days now... It states that they'll "be back in a few hours" lol. They also said the game would be shipping last week and that we'd received emails requesting our shipping addresses. Did that happen? Did it fuck.

Only paid for this game (Pier Solar Dreamcast edition) like 2 years ago.

I wouldn't care if the weren't such bullshit liars and shady as fuck.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:43 am

Their communication with customers is still fucking terrible and they still miss deadlines like it's going out of fashion.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:01 pm

No doubt, but they could be worse, it could be Super Fighter Team which does things in a far worse way and uses the most sub-par shoddy parts in their stuff like that pathetic piece of work with Nightmare Busters they got in deep trouble with by buyers and other annoyed potential customers. At least these guys can develop a really nice piece of work people would enjoy using.

About time getting it out, didn't I say it was like 9 days ago it should have gone live?

How long would it take to ship though? See it by March or summer?
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:15 pm

I was harsh, but at that point I felt a little fed up. Hell, I'd even apologise for that outburst, as it was a lot unwarranted.

Watermelon take great pride in their products and it shows. My complaints are simply down to lack of communication and their ability to just drop off the face of the earth. Delivery was also shoddy with the recent Pier Solar release. Not only was it ridiculously slow (even if they did have a large number to work through), there were a lot of people complaining about their goods arriving damaged due to poor packaging (no bubble wrap, just a large box with the guide book and game knocking around in). Mine was personally fine, but then the problem seems confined to just people who ordered the guide book and/or collector's edition of the game.

To answer your question, Tanooki, realistically, I'd say if you ordered from Watermelon now, it could take anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks. I imagine Christmas and New Year etc could slow things down a tiny bit. It depends if they ship these out quicker than the KS/Pre-orders, but it's hard to know.

Return to Old-School Gaming News