Watermelon Pier Solar HD Kickstarter

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
SpaceBooger

Re: Watermelon Pier Solar HD Kickstarter

Post by SpaceBooger »

I agree the price is worth it, I paid that same price for the Genesis version. I can't justify that price "again" for the DC version, even though I want it something bad.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I think the DC price is more justified, but the Genesis one I could have sworn was cheaper in the past and just seemed puffed up because they can do it and people will line up for it versus taking the ebay hit.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Tanooki wrote:I think the DC price is more justified, but the Genesis one I could have sworn was cheaper in the past and just seemed puffed up because they can do it and people will line up for it versus taking the ebay hit.

True, initial pre-orders for the Genesis version was $35 IIRC... and that was including the disc for Sega CD music and shipping.
I think that was basically at cost though.

As for current costs, you have to give a little understanding for Supply/Demand. And if you have your product selling out in mere days, you have to do something to temper that kind of interest for a tiny company. Plus it's just good business logic.
...just another lost soul...
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I preorder the Genesis one in 07 or 08 I think, it's been a while but I paid $35. That's cheaper than the DC version. I did not get a guide though. The genesis reprint is the same price as the DC version, only those who preordered the genesis one got the game for $35.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

nightrnr wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I think the DC price is more justified, but the Genesis one I could have sworn was cheaper in the past and just seemed puffed up because they can do it and people will line up for it versus taking the ebay hit.

True, initial pre-orders for the Genesis version was $35 IIRC... and that was including the disc for Sega CD music and shipping.
I think that was basically at cost though.

As for current costs, you have to give a little understanding for Supply/Demand. And if you have your product selling out in mere days, you have to do something to temper that kind of interest for a tiny company. Plus it's just good business logic.

I agree but doubling the price is just sheisty. I know they're small but if demand is that high, raise it a bit, say like to old retail days of $50 and just keep some cycle of small runs going every quarter or twice in the year, and if you see the sales taking longer to clear or struggle to barely do so, slow up or stop the production. But to double the price is just taking advantage. If they'd get more of them out there, the aftermarket on these things would be crushed outside of the original runs since they're boxed differently.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so I got about 4 hours in over the weekend. I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I was going to. Reviews were generally lukewarm, so maybe it's that my expectations were low. Or maybe it's the novelty of a new Dreamcast RPG... not sure. But I'm impressed with the game altogether. I really dig all the modern gaming stuff put into it like achievements, support for 16:9, autosave... But beyond that I think it's a pretty fun game. I mean, nothing groundbreaking. But fans of NES/SNES-era Final Fantasy or the Phantasy Star quadrilogy will certainly appreciate this one. And the music is mostly quite nice.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Tanooki wrote:I agree but doubling the price is just sheisty. I know they're small but if demand is that high, raise it a bit, say like to old retail days of $50 and just keep some cycle of small runs going every quarter or twice in the year, and if you see the sales taking longer to clear or struggle to barely do so, slow up or stop the production. But to double the price is just taking advantage. If they'd get more of them out there, the aftermarket on these things would be crushed outside of the original runs since they're boxed differently.

If demand is high enough for them at their current price then what is their incentive to lower it?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Noise, I was thinking the same thing.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

There isn't. I just said it was sheisty is all. They could up it to $100 and foolish people would still pay that as they'd still be saving a little bit in some cases (or more in a bid war), plus not having to deal with ebay too is a bonus.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Just because something is worth to someone else more than it is worth to you doesn't make them foolish.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.