Next-Gen

Re: Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 remake

by jfrost Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 pm

PC, Mac and Android as well.
Lorfarius
16-bit

by Lorfarius Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:58 pm

More of my life lost to this series :lol: I just wish there had been a third.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Lorfarius wrote:More of my life lost to this series :lol: I just wish there had been a third.

Listen to the show and interview I posted. If this does well, they want to make a BG3
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:More of my life lost to this series :lol: I just wish there had been a third.

Listen to the show and interview I posted. If this does well, they want to make a BG3

I imagine there would be a variety of licensing issues to deal with, not to mention how old the AD&D rules are. If you made BG3 with D&D4 rules I guarantee a ton of old fans would start spewing bile. On the other hand, keeping the old rules will alienate a ton of new people. It's one thing to do an HD remaster of an old game and keep all the old mechanics; people go in with certain expectations. Creating a new game with the same clunk is another thing entirely. It worked for Mega Man 9 because the platforming of the NES games is rock solid, so the only old mechanics were the art style and the lack of slide/charge (and those didn't harm the basic platforming). But a BG3 using AD&D rules would have a lot of trouble attracting people to it who weren't already fans of the original release of the games.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I imagine there would be a variety of licensing issues to deal with, not to mention how old the AD&D rules are. If you made BG3 with D&D4 rules I guarantee a ton of old fans would start spewing bile. On the other hand, keeping the old rules will alienate a ton of new people. It's one thing to do an HD remaster of an old game and keep all the old mechanics; people go in with certain expectations. Creating a new game with the same clunk is another thing entirely. It worked for Mega Man 9 because the platforming of the NES games is rock solid, so the only old mechanics were the art style and the lack of slide/charge (and those didn't harm the basic platforming). But a BG3 using AD&D rules would have a lot of trouble attracting people to it who weren't already fans of the original release of the games.

This is all possible. But if they made a BG3 that didn't follow D&D, it would be written off. I dont think they would do D&D4, but maybe 3? You'd think there would be plenty of interest though; fans of DA:O, fans of the remake which puts BG back into people's minds. They wouldnt use the infinity engine again, but I think they could make something work. They wont please everyone though, that of course is a given.
Lorfarius
16-bit

by Lorfarius Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:02 am

Jmustang1968 wrote:

Fingers crossed. As long as the writing is top notch I don't think the D&D system used will be all that big a deal.
rlrunyon
16-bit

by rlrunyon Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Fingers crossed. As long as the writing is top notch I don't think the D&D system used will be all that big a deal.

I think they version of D&D they use would impact the game and players a lot. It would be cool, to me, if the remakes used 4th edition. I think that a third installment would have to used 4th edition for the younger players that are fresh to D&D.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:35 am

rlrunyon wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:Fingers crossed. As long as the writing is top notch I don't think the D&D system used will be all that big a deal.

I think they version of D&D they use would impact the game and players a lot. It would be cool, to me, if the remakes used 4th edition. I think that a third installment would have to used 4th edition for the younger players that are fresh to D&D.

If it takes any longer they can use the new D&D rules that they've been beta testing at PAX.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 pm

MrPopo wrote:On the other hand, keeping the old rules will alienate a ton of new people. It's one thing to do an HD remaster of an old game and keep all the old mechanics; people go in with certain expectations. Creating a new game with the same clunk is another thing entirely. It worked for Mega Man 9 because the platforming of the NES games is rock solid, so the only old mechanics were the art style and the lack of slide/charge (and those didn't harm the basic platforming). But a BG3 using AD&D rules would have a lot of trouble attracting people to it who weren't already fans of the original release of the games.

Why would they? Only hardcore BG1&2 fans and real life D&D players will care about which particular rule set they use, people who don't play D&D dont really give a damn. People who dont play D&D (and since modern RPGs dont use D&D rulesets) but do play video game RPGs wont care which particular rule set the game uses.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Menegrothx wrote:
MrPopo wrote:On the other hand, keeping the old rules will alienate a ton of new people. It's one thing to do an HD remaster of an old game and keep all the old mechanics; people go in with certain expectations. Creating a new game with the same clunk is another thing entirely. It worked for Mega Man 9 because the platforming of the NES games is rock solid, so the only old mechanics were the art style and the lack of slide/charge (and those didn't harm the basic platforming). But a BG3 using AD&D rules would have a lot of trouble attracting people to it who weren't already fans of the original release of the games.

Why would they? Only hardcore BG1&2 fans and real life D&D players will care about which particular rule set they use, people who don't play D&D dont really give a damn. People who dont play D&D (and since modern RPGs dont use D&D rulesets) but do play video game RPGs wont care which particular rule set the game uses.

I'll just repost the part you cut out:

If you made BG3 with D&D4 rules I guarantee a ton of old fans would start spewing bile.

They have to make a choice between pleasing the new fans or pleasing the old fans. They can't get both groups.
Return to Old-School Gaming News