WaterMelon launches Magical Game Factory

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Zebbe

WaterMelon launches Magical Game Factory

Post by Zebbe »

Hey :)

WaterMelon, the team behind the Mega Drive/Genesis homebrew RPG Pier Solar and the Great Architects (www.piersolar.com :)), has now launched Magical Game Factory (www.magicalgamefactory.com), an ambitious effort to gather the creative retro enthusiasts and take the retro game market further!

When you join the site, you can buy "Gems" to help fund projects and put your own input into the development. Gems purchased will in the long run act like pre-orders, so you will get your money back as games when the project(s) are completed. For more information, head over to the site and join on the fun!

All the best,

/Zebbe of WaterMelon
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Re: WaterMelon launches Magical Game Factory

Post by Curlypaul »

Hey Zebbe,

I was looking around the site earlier, I think its a really cool idea thats not only going to net you some funds but get some info about what people would actually want to buy.

I already used my gems when I paid for Pier Solar so, how much will extra gems cost? and when will we be able to buy them?
Zebbe

Post by Zebbe »

You can buy them now. 100 gems equal 10$US.

:)
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

It says 'Virtual Shop soon..' :)

I see that there are 3 projects planned - that's quite a chunk of work. Do you have more team members now?
Zebbe

Post by Zebbe »

You buy gems on the project pages :).

We only have two for now. You could say we have more members now, but it's hard to compare.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

This is great! I really think this kind of funding and involvement is wonderful for niche works like this.

Hope it really goes well :D
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
winds
128-bit

Post by winds »

This is probably one of the coolest approaches to indie game developing i've ever seen. I'm an early adopter of Pier Solar, and supported through every revision, plus the upcoming OST release. I also invested in Project Y and am loving the community involvement during the entire process from the ground up. So far, as an investor, I had a hand in voting for which platform, as well as which genre. It looks like it's going to be a beat 'em up on the Genesis/Mega-Drive, which i'm all for (though I would have loved a platformer, heh).

One thing that is a little odd, I wonder how ambitious the development of a possible 3 games (??) simultaneously is. Wouldn't it be easier to focus on one at a time? Though I completely trust this company since it delivered so well on Pier Solar.
Nintendoes what Nintendon't!

Tangerine Orange Key: 42915767S1
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

this is amazing, Zebbe!
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Zebbe wrote:You buy gems on the project pages :).

We only have two for now. You could say we have more members now, but it's hard to compare.

Doh, I see it now. I'm broke this week, but as soon as I get paid I'll buy some gems - even if it turns out to be a dating game lol.
Zebbe

Post by Zebbe »

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated!

Yeah, three projects at once are probably a too big bite, so I think we'll mostly focus on two for now (one mainly Factory made, Project Y and one inhouse made, Project SF). The best of both worlds :).