http://www.ncsx.com/2012/012312/ncs0123h.htm
I believe ´em. :cry:
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Re: New SNK Handheld!?

by Lokkenjawnz Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I'll believe it's a hoax when there's evidence. So far, that seems to be the only link stating it's a hoax, and they give zero reason as to why.

I could absolutely understand it being a hoax, it certainly has that sort of feel. But, as it stands, there's no proof that it is a hoax, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I sure hope it's not a hoax though, as it looks like it'd be pretty rad.

If it is a hoax though, who wants to take the opportunity to recreate it using existing parts? Maybe take a PSP, give it a custom case, steal a clicky stick off an NGPC or NGCD controller? I'd buy it! Is Bacteria still around? I smell a commission...
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am

Lokkenjawnz wrote:I'll believe it's a hoax when there's evidence. So far, that seems to be the only link stating it's a hoax, and they give zero reason as to why.

I could absolutely understand it being a hoax, it certainly has that sort of feel. But, as it stands, there's no proof that it is a hoax, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I sure hope it's not a hoax though, as it looks like it'd be pretty rad.

If it is a hoax though, who wants to take the opportunity to recreate it using existing parts? Maybe take a PSP, give it a custom case, steal a clicky stick off an NGPC or NGCD controller? I'd buy it! Is Bacteria still around? I smell a commission...

I already pointed out the fact that the shoulder buttons are messed up (look at the ordering), plus the lack of quality high res pictures. SNK/PlayMore hasn't commented on it either. Also if it's going to be around 50-60 bucks, why in the hell would they install an ambient light sensor in the bottom left corner.

I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

i think that thing is gorgeous. if it were under $50 i'd snatch it up, but i'm not that big of an SNK fan to justify an $80 import. maybe once i am rich and respected.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
pakopako
Next-Gen

by pakopako Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I already pointed out the fact that the shoulder buttons are messed up (look at the ordering), plus the lack of quality high res pictures. SNK/PlayMore hasn't commented on it either. Also if it's going to be around 50-60 bucks, why in the hell would they install an ambient light sensor in the bottom left corner.

How expensive are photoelectric cels these days anyway? I mean, Bokutai (GBA) had one of those.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 am

pakopako wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I already pointed out the fact that the shoulder buttons are messed up (look at the ordering), plus the lack of quality high res pictures. SNK/PlayMore hasn't commented on it either. Also if it's going to be around 50-60 bucks, why in the hell would they install an ambient light sensor in the bottom left corner.

How expensive are photoelectric cels these days anyway? I mean, Bokutai (GBA) had one of those.

The sensors in Boktai carts are not photoelectric cells :) It just roughly detects the amount of UV light shining on it, it doesn't produce electricity out of receiving that light.

That said, an ambient light sensor is not a photoelectric cell either!

Ivo.
pakopako
Next-Gen

by pakopako Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 am

Ivo wrote:The sensors in Boktai carts are not photoelectric cells :) It just roughly detects the amount of UV light shining on it, it doesn't produce electricity out of receiving that light.

That said, an ambient light sensor is not a photoelectric cell either!

Woah. Sure are a lot of types. Some of them don't sound too expensive. (And a solar-/photoelectric-cell could be used as a detector.)
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm still holding out hope to get my hands on one of these, if for no other reason than to brag that I own new SNK hardware. :P
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm

lisalover1 wrote:I'm still holding out hope to get my hands on one of these, if for no other reason than to brag that I own new SNK hardware. :P

I'd love to brag about that too, but none of my friends know about SNK. :(
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:I'm still holding out hope to get my hands on one of these, if for no other reason than to brag that I own new SNK hardware. :P

I'd love to brag about that too, but none of my friends know about SNK. :(

But but but...aren't WE your friends? :cry:
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Return to Old-School Gaming News