Final Fantasy 9 misprint?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Gaius

Final Fantasy 9 misprint?

Post by Gaius »

I have a PS1 copy of Final Fantasy IX and disc 2 has no label. The disc is totally white but all discs are in perfect shape. I think I have a factory misprint here...anyone know? Oh and its a greatest hits copy. :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy 9 misprint?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gaius wrote:I have a PS1 copy of Final Fantasy IX and disc 2 has no label. The disc is totally white but all discs are in perfect shape. I think I have a factory misprint here...anyone know? Oh and its a greatest hits copy. :)

Does the White Labeled disc have text?
It seems like you have two different pressings, probably mixed up from a game trade in.

Please post pics.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

yeah! please post some pics!

but for now check out this site. It has the variants of FF IX, so you can compare it to them.

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/psx_finalfan9/
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

Thanks for the quick replies and the great comparison website. It seems that mine are the matte white disc version of the greatest hits. The pic im posting is a little bright but these are not the silver shiny discs. As you can see disc 2 has no text of any kind and is totally white, its not painted and has the same texture and quality as discs 1, 3 and 4 but is void of the black text. Also, I have tested it and it seems to play just fine :)
Attachments
Photo on 2011-09-24 at 00.27.jpg
Photo on 2011-09-24 at 00.27.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

did you buy this new or did you get it used?

So the disc, is it all white? Cause now im starting to think that if you got it used and the former owner polished them, he may have put that one disc backwards? Causing the label to get buffed out?

There are machines that polish scratched discs and make them look better. They user turtle wax and a metal weight that holds the disc down while a buffer cleans/polishes them.

Does the disc have a polished look to it? Does it or did it once have some white powdery stuff on it?

But then again you could have something wholy original that escaped the quality controll process at the manufacturing plant.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

The solid white disc has the exact same texture and appearance as the "normal" discs. I've repaired many scratched discs and this thing has never been through a refurbisher. There are no abrasion marks or wear on the white part of the disc, and the black backs have no buffing patterns. I really think they just didn't print a label on this one and screwed up haha.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

Another pic, best i can do.
Attachments
Photo on 2011-09-24 at 01.55.jpg
Photo on 2011-09-24 at 01.55.jpg (69.82 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

so it looks like a lightscribe disc basically?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

If you mean "homemade" then no. I looks exactly like all 3 other FF9 discs, the only difference is the lack of writing on it. But if you mean, blank like a lightscribe, then yes.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

flojocabron wrote:yeah! please post some pics!

but for now check out this site. It has the variants of FF IX, so you can compare it to them.

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/psx_finalfan9/

Why are all NA FF9 variants so ugly?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.