Final Fantasy 9 misprint?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy 9 misprint?

Post by Xeogred »

Glad I got the black label edition, lol.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gaius wrote:Another pic, best i can do.

A factory oops in not printing the text
The disc is black on the bottom so it should be an original pressing. There are black CDRs, but easy to confirm if an original.

Does the disc play on an unmodded PS1? Are there any letters stamped near the hub of the disc and do they have similar writing as the other discs?

Rare that it slipped out of the factory and passed the quality check. Not sure of this increases the value, but I would hang on to it simply because it is unusual.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gaius

Post by Gaius »

The bottom of the disc is black, it is not a CDR. I used to have some color CDRs including black, this is factory. It plays perfectly on 2 of my unmodded PS1s and my PS2.
The only letters and numbers on the center of the disc (black side) are IFPI 5100. These letters are in the black plastic on all 4 discs and are very hard to see.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gaius wrote:The bottom of the disc is black, it is not a CDR. I used to have some color CDRs including black, this is factory. It plays perfectly on 2 of my unmodded PS1s and my PS2.
The only letters and numbers on the center of the disc (black side) are IFPI 5100. These letters are in the black plastic on all 4 discs and are very hard to see.

Looks like a factory oops, definitely hang on to it. I don't see it as a huge increase in value, but you never know.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gaius

Post by Gaius »

Cool :) Thanks guys.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

That's very interesting!

Whatever you do, DO NOT write anything on it (like "Disc 2" or something). Keep it the way it is. There's bound to be a demand for an oddity like this somewhere or to someone, and keeping it the way it came (blank) will maximize any potential value.
...just another lost soul...
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I don't know if it's necessarily going to make the disc more valuable. Stamps and video games are a very different market. So that stamp with the upside-down plane is seen as a super-rare collector's dream, but I have some 45-records that are labeled incorrectly and one with the same song on both sides that are worth LESS than a properly manufactured record.
The key is if someone wants to pay extra for it. But hey, you never know; FF has a pretty hardcore fanbase.

I would say to just treat it like a normal copy of FF9 and ignore the lack of text on the disc.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Seems like a cool oddity to me! I'd definitely hold onto it unless someone offers you an absurd amount of cash for it or something.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

alfred123 wrote:agree the NTSC FF cases are all , well, overdone compared to the clean simplicity of the PAL ones which are apparently the same as the original Japamese ones. Ahhh... the smack of authenticity

j/k I have both cos I cannot bear to miss out on RPG's that are not realeased in one or other region.

I don't know what the Jap disks are like, but the EU ones are VERY beautiful. I mean I was in the market for a platinum version of the game and then when I saw how pretty the black label was I payed for for one.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.