Live Feed of Donkey Kong WR Try

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: Live Feed of Donkey Kong WR Try

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

dsheinem wrote:Something to keep an eye on...

http://www.patrickscottpatterson.com/DonkeyKong.html

Okay, as cool as this is, I REALLY wish this was on a different site. Patrick Scott Patterson is really full of himself.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Who is he? I just pasted the link from Kotaku.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

dsheinem wrote:Who is he? I just pasted the link from Kotaku.

The guy is fairly "in" with the International Video Hall of Fame. He's a bit of an elitist. For example, after Twin Galaxies started their Registry for Historic Arcades, he decided to make his own and purposefully put his favorite arcades on the list, just to try to one-up them and to slight Walter Day and the arcades on the TG list.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Crabmaster2000
128-bit

Post by Crabmaster2000 »

I dealt with PSP through TG early this year and he seemed like a pleasant guy.
Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster?feature=mhee

250 NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
NintendoLegend
32-bit

Post by NintendoLegend »

Crabmaster2000 wrote:I dealt with PSP through TG early this year and he seemed like a pleasant guy.

He's not a bad guy by any means -- he can just come off very... gruff. I'll add that to the prior descriptors listed.

One example from my interaction with him: On his Facebook account, he was trying to promote an article he posted on his website. This was fresh off his separation from Twin Galaxies, and he was championing the cause of gaming as a cultural force worth preserving (i.e., just before he announced his historic registry).

Well, that was all well and good, except that his status update did not have a URL or any sort of link. It literally just said something along the lines of "go check out this great article about such-and-such gaming subject."

So I, politely enough, replied something akin to, "Sounds great! For the future, though, would you mind posting a link? It would just make it an instantaneous, much easier thing for people to actually read the piece you want to promote."

Now, yes, I understand if that sounds very uppity, and a little know-it-allish. But it's very basic marketing/promoting... and just common sense for the Internet nowadays.

As it turns out though, he singled me out, got somewhat defensive, and insisted that anyone who was actually supportive of gaming wouldn't mind doing the "two seconds" of research into finding the article.

I checked his website, checked his Facebook info to see if he listed any others, checked his other recent status updates... no leads. I never found the article.

But if he was not going to provide the courtesy to me, I did not figure I would provide it to him any longer.

For the record: Nobody else on the status seemed to have my problem, so maybe I am just a brainless moron. Or they were all just a bunch of mindless yes-men who did not have the balls to raise their hand and say "uhhh, you should probably post a link..."

Also, he has a background in wrestling, which comes with its own "RAWR my ego shall not have any blows unto it and I am unquestionably more b@d@ss than you RAWR" personality quirks.

*shrug*

So, again: The Original PSP is not a bad guy. He is a very talented gamer, a solid writer, and will go out of his way to support the cause of gaming.

... but he's brusque, is all.
SkirmishFrogs.com -- A lighthearted retro gaming community.

NintendoLegend.com -- One retro gamer's quest to play and review every American-released NES game.
OriginalPSP

Post by OriginalPSP »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Who is he? I just pasted the link from Kotaku.

The guy is fairly "in" with the International Video Hall of Fame. He's a bit of an elitist. For example, after Twin Galaxies started their Registry for Historic Arcades, he decided to make his own and purposefully put his favorite arcades on the list, just to try to one-up them and to slight Walter Day and the arcades on the TG list.

Congrats. I joined this board specifically to respond to this totally untrue statement.

Where to begin?

First of all, the Registry of Historic Gaming Locations is NOT the same kind of project as Walter's Arcade Registry. If you'd take a look at it, you'd see where the majority of locations on my Registry are NOT arcades and that the criteria for entry is almost 100 percent different.

The idea was spawned after a trip to the former Atari Headquarters site in May and a trip to The Spot Tavern near Seattle in June. While in Seattle I sat down with Walter and discussed my project idea with him for over an hour, as I wanted to ensure he understood that I wasn't trying to copy his project before I went forward with it.

He understood it and gave his blessing for me to move forward with the idea. Walter fully supports it and we've been talking about collaboration and co-promotion as well.

All of this has been explained and stated in public numerous times and in numerous media articles that have covered it.

If you feel I'm "full of myself" or an "elitist" or whatever I honestly don't care. There are those who get what I try to do for gaming and those who don't. It is what it is.

However, if you wish to add statements to explain why you feel that way you should probably bother to fact-check to some degree before doing so.

My project isn't based on arcades... it's not the same concept at all... and I didn't start it until Walter gave me his blessing to do so... and he supports it fully.