Wizorb trailer released *Updated 10/14* Wizorb out now!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Re: Wizorb trailer released *Updated 10/14* Wizorb out now!

Post by fvgazi »

KingDavid73 wrote:Wizorb is pretty good. I got it last week and played it for a couple hours. After a couple hours, though, it does start to get a little tedious, so I recommend shorter play sessions.

Yeah, I'm playing through now. It can get pretty hard... especially when you run out of magic and your ball is going really slowly and at an acute angle.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Still no PC release date...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

PC release date is November 7th
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

fastbilly1 wrote:PC release date is November 7th

Thanks for the update!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Wizorb is now available only at Gamersgate. Price? $2.99
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WIZORB/wizorb
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I've now played through the first two worlds of Wizorb. It's really fun! I've always had a soft spot for Arkanoid, and this game is a lot like that, but in a more Zelda-esque setting. The presentation is great. I love the retro style. The controls are really good as long as you use the mouse. Using just a keyboard, I wasn't able to move my paddle around fast enough to juggle the orb when it hit higher speeds.

The game is very whimsical in its storytelling. It's very much like an old-school RPG or Zelda game in that regard. You're basically tasked with fighting off monsters and raising money to rebuild a destroyed village.

The challenge is difficult, but not annoyingly difficult (as long as you use a mouse). Each world consists of 12 levels and one boss battle. The challenge comes from the fact that you only get 3 continues to complete all 12 levels and beat the boss or else you have to start that world over.

The designers have nailed the look of an NES game. I actually feel a tinge of nostalgia while playing this even though it's a new game. It's just so spot on in terms of the look, sounds, and gameplay, that you'll swear you're playing some old school game that was simply lost to time. It's a wonderful little game and definitely worth the $2.99. This is way more fun than a comparably priced cup of coffee at Starbucks.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

JT does it have spinner support?
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Just picked this up for only 80 Microsoft Points on XBox Live Indie Games. Can't beat that price! And it's a very fun Break-Out clone. The building hook keeps you playing, and I love the old-school sprites.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

It's a neat little game, this one. I wish the paddle would accelerate when you press the arrows on the keyboard for a little longer. As is, mouse is the only way to really play it.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Since the game is mouse control based (atleast in part), yes it supports spinners. It also supports steering wheels if you configure it right. The game is good fun, I just have not finished it since my spinner is a state away. I really enjoy the game, it is Arkanoid meets Zelda, with just enough of the magic elements to keep the game interesting.