Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

MDK2 on the Wii

by SpaceBooger Mon May 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Today MDK2 was released on WiiWare for $10.
I have never played the DC version so I don't know if it's worth picking up...
Any fans of this game? Is it worth it?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Hatta
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Hatta Mon May 09, 2011 4:58 pm

I liked it. Very well produced game with great art, funny writing, and good voice acting. Gameplay is a little of everything, a bit of platformer, a bit of 3rd person shooter. IMO, the challenge is well balanced for an experienced gamer. Not quite a must play, but definitely a classic.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Gamerforlife Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm

It's a hilarious and wonderfully weird game. You play as three different characters and they each have a different style of gameplay in their levels. I remember it being a very difficult game though and that's partically because the controls were made for PC. I found it tough to play on the Dreamcast, but totally worth it. So know that before you buy it. Not many people know that Bioware actually worked on this game.

MDK 2 is worth playing just to step into its weird and wacky universe. It has that old school Shiny Entertainment feel to it like the Earthworm Jim games since Shiny created the original MDK for PC and Playstation

Check out the cool intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNVy2E7VQk
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Ivo Tue May 10, 2011 3:28 am

MDK2 is a very good game. It is not a cakewalk in terms of difficulty and there are some rather tricky moments that are challenging but I can't say I found it too hard.

I don't know how it would work on the Wii, I played on the PC and it was a good while ago already.

Ivo.
User avatar
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4829
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Bradtemple87 Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 am

I loved MDK2 on the DC, but I remember it giving me a little bit of a hard time.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

It's good, but, it's pretty difficult.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Gamerforlife Tue May 10, 2011 11:33 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:It's good, but, it's pretty difficult.


I would go so far as the say it's one of the most difficult games I have ever played. The frustration factor is pretty high, especially with the last boss. The game is so full or surprises, epic moments and laugh out loud moments that make it worth it though

Sort of like Battletoads. Thank god it has a checkpoint system that lets you revisit any checkpoint in the game at any time, at least on the Dreamcast version I played. I have heard that the PS 2 version is easier. I don't know what they are basing the Wii version off of though

The thing about MDK 2 is that the level design can get pretty hardcore. And on top of that, if you're not a PC gamer and you're trying to adjust to the Dreamcast's version very PC-like controls.....on a controller no less. Yeah, you can see why this would be a tough game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue May 10, 2011 11:44 am

Gamerforlife wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:It's good, but, it's pretty difficult.


I would go so far as the say it's one of the most difficult games I have ever played. The frustration factor is pretty high, especially with the last boss. The game is so full or surprises, epic moments and laugh out loud moments that make it worth it though

Sort of like Battletoads. Thank god it has a checkpoint system that lets you revisit any checkpoint in the game at any time, at least on the Dreamcast version I played. I have heard that the PS 2 version is easier. I don't know what they are basing the Wii version off of though

The thing about MDK 2 is that the level design can get pretty hardcore. And on top of that, if you're not a PC gamer and you're trying to adjust to the Dreamcast's version very PC-like controls.....on a controller no less. Yeah, you can see why this would be a tough game


Well... I never did get to the last boss :lol: :(
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Gamerforlife Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:It's good, but, it's pretty difficult.


I would go so far as the say it's one of the most difficult games I have ever played. The frustration factor is pretty high, especially with the last boss. The game is so full or surprises, epic moments and laugh out loud moments that make it worth it though

Sort of like Battletoads. Thank god it has a checkpoint system that lets you revisit any checkpoint in the game at any time, at least on the Dreamcast version I played. I have heard that the PS 2 version is easier. I don't know what they are basing the Wii version off of though

The thing about MDK 2 is that the level design can get pretty hardcore. And on top of that, if you're not a PC gamer and you're trying to adjust to the Dreamcast's version very PC-like controls.....on a controller no less. Yeah, you can see why this would be a tough game


Well... I never did get to the last boss :lol: :(


It's crazy. Not only is it hard, but you have to pick which character you want to use. It's a pretty different type of fight based on which guy you use and you get a different ending too. Honestly though, it was a bitch for me no matter which guy I picked
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: MDK2 on the Wii

by Ivo Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm

I have to admit the last boss can be pretty tricky. It can hypnotize your character, right? I remember it being particularly difficult depending on the character, but I don't remember which was more difficult and which was easier, I just remember it was noticeable that for me that they varied significantly in difficulty. It takes some skill to defeat it with any of the 3 though.

From my vague recollection I think it was the Professor that was the easiest (even though that may seem strange).

Ivo.
Return to Old-School Gaming News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest