Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
SpaceBooger

Re: Disappointed with Mario 25th Anniversary Collection

by SpaceBooger Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 pm

The outer box is sealed with two clear circular stickers. Both DVD cases (White for the game and Red for the special stuff) are both sealed in the normal game shrink wrap.
I cut open the stickers because they would/do damage the box. So a sealed copy will be hard to lie about in the future.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:57 am

god damn i just found out about this yesterday... i would'a bought it for 30, but i dunno about these resellers' prices, crap to that
Evildeadmanwalking77
128-bit

by Evildeadmanwalking77 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am

I never realized that there were 2 versions of this game originally. :shock: What is the difference and is it hard (and expensive) to find? Obviously Nintendo released the version that most people have/had on SNES.
I am addicted to video games, especially retro gaming from my era. I have: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, GBA, Wii, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360. I have probably over 1,000 games in total for all these systems combined. Yes, I need help and I wouldn't have it any other way! This is my passion and hey my wife still loves me!!
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Hmm, are you talking about Super Mario All-Stars + World? Originally there was SMAS (SMB1, 2 and 3, Lost Levels) then there was SMAS+SMW (all the same games with Super Mario World included). From wiki:

Super Mario All-Stars, known as Super Mario Collection (スーパーマリオコレクション, Sūpā Mario Korekushon?) in Japan, is a platforming video game that was developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1993. It contains enhanced remakes of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Japanese: Super Mario Bros. 2), Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese: Super Mario USA), and Super Mario Bros. 3. There was also an alternate version bundled with the SNES and available at retail in December 1994 that included Super Mario World, which was never released in Japan. A 25th Anniversary Edition of the compilation was released for the Wii in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_All-Stars

The version that includes World is definitely less common than the original version of All-Stars, but it's not hard to find. I think it might go for a little bit more money on eBay, but nothing crazy ($5-10 maybe, if that).

Yes, the anniversary collection is just the original SMAS without World.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Evildeadmanwalking77
128-bit

by Evildeadmanwalking77 Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Oh, ok. I guess that's what they were talking about earlier on this thread. I already own Super MArio World and SMA on SNES so it would be pointless to buy this version for anything other than collector's item. Thanks! :wink:
I am addicted to video games, especially retro gaming from my era. I have: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, GBA, Wii, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360. I have probably over 1,000 games in total for all these systems combined. Yes, I need help and I wouldn't have it any other way! This is my passion and hey my wife still loves me!!
Inazuma
Next-Gen

by Inazuma Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Hmm, are you talking about Super Mario All-Stars + World? Originally there was SMAS (SMB1, 2 and 3, Lost Levels) then there was SMAS+SMW (all the same games with Super Mario World included). From wiki:

Super Mario All-Stars, known as Super Mario Collection (スーパーマリオコレクション, Sūpā Mario Korekushon?) in Japan, is a platforming video game that was developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1993. It contains enhanced remakes of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Japanese: Super Mario Bros. 2), Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese: Super Mario USA), and Super Mario Bros. 3. There was also an alternate version bundled with the SNES and available at retail in December 1994 that included Super Mario World, which was never released in Japan. A 25th Anniversary Edition of the compilation was released for the Wii in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_All-Stars

The version that includes World is definitely less common than the original version of All-Stars, but it's not hard to find. I think it might go for a little bit more money on eBay, but nothing crazy ($5-10 maybe, if that).

Yes, the anniversary collection is just the original SMAS without World.

OK, now it makes sense. The one with Super Mario World was never released in Japan, so that's why the Japanese Wii version doesn't have it.

Then when they decided to bring the game over to America, they basically just translated it and didn't want to change it too much by adding in one more game. They would have had to make changes to the packaging and booklet as well.

Also, it is possible they will release another compilation game like this that has the 16-bit Mario games in the future. I know these games actually were 16-bit, but you know what I mean.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Inazuma wrote:Also, it is possible they will release another compilation game like this that has the 16-bit Mario games in the future. I know these games actually were 16-bit, but you know what I mean.

I know that you're using the incorrect term for those games.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
darthmunky
Next-Gen

by darthmunky Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 pm

I just turned the game on and right away, you can tell nothing has changed, they didn't even make the resolution higher for HD or widescreen tvs, or even put in new box art of the games for the menu. It's just like a rom on a disc. And they could have at least put Super Mario World on it... Jeez.
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
Inazuma
Next-Gen

by Inazuma Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 pm

darthmunky wrote:I just turned the game on and right away, you can tell nothing has changed, they didn't even make the resolution higher for HD or widescreen tvs, or even put in new box art of the games for the menu. It's just like a rom on a disc. And they could have at least put Super Mario World on it... Jeez.

I've never played any VC games but I thought they ran at 480p. Shouldn't the Mario Anniversary Collection also run at 480p? Is it really running at 240i?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 pm

darthmunky wrote:I just turned the game on and right away, you can tell nothing has changed, they didn't even make the resolution higher for HD or widescreen tvs, or even put in new box art of the games for the menu. It's just like a rom on a disc. And they could have at least put Super Mario World on it... Jeez.

Yeah, I had the same impression. NOTHING new, just the straight up All-Stars ROM. If you rip the game disc and scrub it, the size is like 12MB.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Return to Old-School Gaming News