Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
AppleQueso

Re: Chrono Trigger: Good News and Bad News

by AppleQueso Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:30 pm

kamiboy wrote:Studios from the western hive mind should not be entrusted with beloved Japanese franchises. There are enough examples of why this is not a good idea that an elaboration is not needed. One might just as well entrust a feral gorilla with a exquisite antique figurine and hope for the best.

I'd argue that you shouldn't entrust any intellectual property to a studio from a country with significantly different cultural values.
pakopako
Next-Gen

by pakopako Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:10 pm

...SEGA?

(And, no, I wasn't going for the more recent "exception to every rule" by Nintendo.)
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Retrogamerdude

by Retrogamerdude Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:58 pm

I'd suggest there should never be a sequel to chrono trigger. It would only be less of a game.
weasels
Next-Gen

by weasels Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Retrogamerdude wrote:I'd suggest there should never be a sequel to chrono trigger. It would only be less of a game.

you do realize we do have a sequel in the name of Chrono Cross right?
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
Flake

by Flake Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:19 pm

The franchise is already quite dead. Square has never shown any interest in putting another 'Trigger' game out. Why not let someone else have a crack at it and hope for the best? It's not like the series is going to get any 'deader'.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
jeffesaurusrex
8-bit

by jeffesaurusrex Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:04 pm

As long as it expands on the story and continues the universe and is good, I don't give a shit if it's a first person shooter. As long as it's another good game set in the Chrono universe.
Bonsaibandit

by Bonsaibandit Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:36 pm

From the original topic, Obsidian is just playing the what if game, and that is sort of established from the get go in that article. Chrono Trigger is a name that has too much of a cult following to ever be given to a random western company like Obsidian. Square-Enix would never let that name go without some serious money. I would say that they would let it go on the promise that it was treated with the seriousness of the fans at heart, but Square-Enix is far too obsessed with their bottom line on games these days to even consider the fans opinion.
Flake

by Flake Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:39 pm

Bonsaibandit wrote:Square-Enix is far too obsessed with their bottom line on games these days to even consider the fans opinion.

Square is obsessed with something but I'm not sure if it's their bottom line. I'm not sure what it is. They make some random ass choices these days, especially when it comes to games whose names start with 'Fi' and end with 'Antasy'.

Crazier things do happen.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Bonsaibandit

by Bonsaibandit Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:50 pm

It is interesting you mentioned that, I still believe you prove my point that they are concerned with their bottom line overall. There is no better way to generate money then to exploit a franchise that has the backing like Final Fantasy. Consider all the FF7 spin off games, and the multiple games in the FFXIII mythology like Agito and Versus. If you really want to analyze their recent love for the monetary side of the gaming industry you could look no further then their slightly nicer then XI, Final Fantasy XIV. We could even go as far as seeing how they are approaching other series they own, like Front Mission. While they have built a decent backing with the tactics RPG crowd, they are hoping to bring in money from the west and current fans by releasing Front Mission Evolved, a different style of game more suited to western gamers but housing a name fans of Square-Enix are familiar with. I'm not saying it is a bad game or anything like that, but you can see where their branching out could be considered an attempt to make money out of a series that has performed poorly compared to their flagship titles. I still love Square-Enix and several of their games, but I am just a little surprised at how much they seem to be searching for a way to make money off the past rather then developing new IPs.
Flake

by Flake Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:53 pm

The new Front Mission is a great example of Square's potential for handing Chrono Trigger over and saying 'go for it'.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Return to Old-School Gaming News