A couple of free games from me

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
saimo
8-bit

A couple of free games from me

Post by saimo »

Since 2007 I've been working on a commercial game called BOH, but during its development I've created also two other freeware retro games: KOG and QUOD INIT EXIT. This is how the story goes... enjoy!

KOG

Back in 2007, KOG was born from a rib of BOH, when the latter was in early state of development. After a month or so of development, it got released. Lately, during the development of the latest update of BOH, something convinced me to update those parts of code that KOG had originally imported from BOH and that, in the meanwhile, have improved a lot. Bad move: I found myself heavily reworking the whole game :shock: Eventually, the game was brought to new heights and it is now available for free to everyone who feels like getting mad at me ;)

homepage
]trailer on YouTube

QUOD INIT EXIT

By the end of 2008 the first version of BOH was basically finished, so, while waiting for commercial dealings to come to a conclusion, I started a totally different game... for the C64! The name is Latin for "whatever gets in, gets out" (it's a joke among a group of friends of mine - unfortunately, it would be too long to explain).

homepage
Last edited by saimo on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
weasels
Next-Gen

Re: A couple of free games from me

Post by weasels »

ha thanks for these i enjoyed playing KOG for a bit. ^^
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
saimo
8-bit

Post by saimo »

weasels wrote:ha thanks for these i enjoyed playing KOG for a bit. ^^

My pleasure :)
saimo
8-bit

HOC INIT EXIT preview 2

Post by saimo »

Hi,

I'd like to inform C64 lovers that a new preview of HOC INIT EXIT is now available: check it out on CSDb.

List of changes:
- added music (by Richard Bayliss);
- added hiscores;
- added game over notification;
- improved graphics in a few places;
- made title screen colorful.

Enjoy!
saimo
8-bit

HOC INIT EXIT previews 2a and 2b

Post by saimo »

Hello,

I'd simply like to inform you that since the previous announcement HOC INIT EXIT received a couple of updates.
The changes are minor:
* fixed a badly positioned variable assignment which inhibited the reset of difficulty at the beginning of a new game;
* fixed color flickering occurring when the "GAME OVER" string was flashing and the pig was on the first or second platform;
* retouched graphics slightly;
* sped-up a little platforms generation.

The latest version is available on the CSDb page as usual.
saimo
8-bit

HOC INIT EXIT preview 3

Post by saimo »

Preview 3 is available now - get it here ;)

List of changes since version 2c:
* added end-of-level special phase (including new graphics and music);
* improved graphics;
* added catches notification;
* added music fadeout;
* improved platforms variety;
* fixed a bug in the chart saving routine (only the first save would work);
* made many speed and memory optimizations;
* made lots of other changes (mostly internal, for future development).
saimo
8-bit

Post by saimo »

Here I am again, happy to announce that the final version of the game formerly called "HOC INIT EXIT" is now out!

QUOD INIT EXIT can be freely downloaded from the CSDb page.

Enjoy!
saimo
8-bit

QUOD INIT EXIT v1.1 released

Post by saimo »

I'd like to inform you that I've just relased a little update.
Changes:
* fixed the flicker of some pixels, which was visible only on real machines and accurate emulators;
* added level part to score shown in in-game screen;
* compressed the program for faster loading;
* made various other minor changes.

Here are a few updated screenshots:

Get it from here.
saimo
8-bit

Post by saimo »

peterbrowns wrote:I like All the free games because we have nothing to pay money for it and this time on INTERNET lot of side available for it. I like Mario,WWF,Roadrunner,Project IGI, Hunter, Ninja All Is MY favorite.

Certainly the fact alone that a game comes for free doesn't make it good, right? (I hope I understood what you meant.)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

saimo wrote:
peterbrowns wrote:I like All the free games because we have nothing to pay money for it and this time on INTERNET lot of side available for it. I like Mario,WWF,Roadrunner,Project IGI, Hunter, Ninja All Is MY favorite.

Certainly the fact alone that a game comes for free doesn't make it good, right? (I hope I understood what you meant.)

actually I think that dude's a spammer saimo. I think he's just rambling as a means of having his little gadget shop linked somewhere.

now back on topic, I hate to sound like a cliche of myself but have you thought of porting either of these to GBA?

(What language did you code them in? C/C++ ?)