Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
ColecoVisionist
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 am

Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by ColecoVisionist Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 am

My new book, Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988, is now available.

Click on the following link for ordering info: http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

Here's a description of the book:

Introduced by Bill “The Game Doctor” Kunkel, one of the most important figures in all of classic gaming, Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 contains detailed descriptions/reviews of every U.S.-released game for the Nintendo NES, one of the best, most popular video game systems ever produced. The book also contains detailed descriptions/reviews of every U.S.-released game for the Atari 7800 (revised, expanded, and updated from Vol. 1) and the Sega Master System, both of which maintain a loyal fan base to this day.Organized alphabetically by console brand, each chapter in this book includes a description of the game system, followed by substantive, literate, fun-to-read entries (most 125-185 words in length) for every game released for that console, regardless of when the game was produced (meaning hundreds of games are covered).

Each video game entry includes publisher/developer data and the release year, along with gameplay information and, usually, the author’s critique. A glossary provides a helpful guide to the classic video game genres and terms referenced throughout the work, and a preface provides a look at the industry at the time (and how it relates to gaming today), along with anecdotes from the author, a full-time writer who has been a devoted gamer and game collector since the days of Pong, Pitfall!, and Pac-Man.

Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988, which is the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Classic Home Video Games, 1972-1984, also contains photos, historical information, and comparisons to arcade classics, computer games, and similar games for other consoles. Aimed at hardcore gamers, casual fans, and pop culture scholars alike, Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 is must-reading for anyone interested in the history of the industry and the playability of its games, namely that fondly remembered era that gave us the Atari 7800, the Sega Master System, and the Nintendo NES.
User avatar
Breetai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5100
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am
Location: Make you humble in Canada

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by Breetai Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 am

Nice to meet you, too.

Seriously though, it does look like a sweet book that I'd be interested in picking up in a few years. The time isn't right for me, but it will be eventually. Hopefully I can find a copy then!

Why does the book just focus on '95-'88? Why not at least go right up to the release of the Genesis in '89?
Hatta
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by Hatta Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 am

Always good to find serious treatments of classic games. I'll put it on my list. :)
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
ColecoVisionist
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 am

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by ColecoVisionist Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:49 am

Breetai wrote:Nice to meet you, too.
Why does the book just focus on '85-'88? Why not at least go right up to the release of the Genesis in '89?


Good question. The book actually covers EVERY game released for the NES, Master System, and Atari 7800, so games from 1989 and into the 1990s for those systems are covered. I couldn't put 1989 in the title since the Genesis and other systems were released that year.
User avatar
Breetai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5100
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am
Location: Make you humble in Canada

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by Breetai Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:04 pm

ColecoVisionist wrote:
Breetai wrote:Nice to meet you, too.
Why does the book just focus on '85-'88? Why not at least go right up to the release of the Genesis in '89?


Good question. The book actually covers EVERY game released for the NES, Master System, and Atari 7800, so games from 1989 and into the 1990s for those systems are covered. I couldn't put 1989 in the title since the Genesis and other systems were released that year.
Ahhhhh... I see, I see. Makes total sense now!

Are you planning '89-'94, '95-'98 and '99-'05 editions as well?


Hey!!! Where's the SG-1000 in your '72-'84 book? I kid, I'm well aware it's a Japanese system... but I definitely would've been excited if it was in there!


In regards to the '85-'88 era and the Atari 7800, one thing is for sure IMO: the 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man rocks the socks off the other versions.
ColecoVisionist
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 am

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by ColecoVisionist Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:47 pm

<<<Are you planning '89-'94, '95-'98 and '99-'05 editions as well?>>>

Right now I'm working on the next book, which will cover the Genesis, TurboGrafx, and Neo Geo.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21339
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by Ack Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:09 pm

You wouldn't happen to be Brett Alan Weiss from Allgame, would you? The same Brett Weiss who wrote the Asteroids synopsis(and Q*Bert, Zanac, Earth Defense Force, Robotron 2084 and a whole slew of some of the greatest arcade games ever made)?

I was wondering if anybody was ever going to do a project like this, where someone goes through all the various games for a console and discusses them in print form, with reviews and such. Congratulations on the new book, I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for it. If you don't mind my asking, do you go out and find them all yourself, or do you get help from various collectors to locate the more obscure and rare titles, things like Birthday Mania on the Atari 2600? Do you go over any of the unlicensed works, like the Tengen games or Cheetahman II?
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ColecoVisionist
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 am

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by ColecoVisionist Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Ack wrote:You wouldn't happen to be Brett Alan Weiss from Allgame, would you? The same Brett Weiss who wrote the Asteroids synopsis(and Q*Bert, Zanac, Earth Defense Force, Robotron 2084 and a whole slew of some of the greatest arcade games ever made)?

I was wondering if anybody was ever going to do a project like this, where someone goes through all the various games for a console and discusses them in print form, with reviews and such. Congratulations on the new book, I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for it. If you don't mind my asking, do you go out and find them all yourself, or do you get help from various collectors to locate the more obscure and rare titles, things like Birthday Mania on the Atari 2600? Do you go over any of the unlicensed works, like the Tengen games or Cheetahman II?


Yep, that's me. When they asked for my full name, I gave it to them, so Brett Alan Weiss it was.

I've got a huge collection, but I did have to borrow a lot of games during the writing of both books.

Yes, I do cover the Tengen and the other unlicensed titles (as long as they were U.S. releases), as well as Cheetahman II.

Thanks!
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21339
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by Ack Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 pm

Awesome, glad to have you aboard. I welcome you to Racketboy and hope you join in some of the conversations.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ColecoVisionist
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 am

Re: Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 - NOW AVAILABLE!

by ColecoVisionist Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Ack wrote:Awesome, glad to have you aboard. I welcome you to Racketboy and hope you join in some of the conversations.


Thanks, I'll do that.
Return to Old-School Gaming News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests