Post Your Ristar Progress Here

Join in on our classic gaming club!
raztat
128-bit

Re: Post Your Ristar Progress Here

Post by raztat »

I liked the first level it was easy and fun. Im going to beat this game. Im at the mole boss in the fire world but he doest want to die! Now i get to go to work and think about kicking his ass all day.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Post by molotovwars »

This might have been an older Together Retro, but I just picked this game up while in Korea and am really loving it. I had a copy back in the states, but never got a chance to play it. I just finished up the second world, can't wait to play more.
aeon
24-bit

Post by aeon »

Hey everyone, first time post- this website and community has helped me so much with retro gaming. So first, thank you racketboy.

Ristar was one of my favs back when I was young, I fondly remember renting it from our local grocery store (Pick n' Save if you need to know, they used to rent vhs and games). I also hid it form my parents so that they had to pay for the 'lost merchandise.' Subsequently I played it in hiding, heh heh.

After I read the stellar review of Ristar on racketboy I just had to get a copy of my own again. Picked one up off amazon for $8.00 (including shipping) and popped it in the ol Genesis about a month ago.

I took frequent breaks but powered through it in about 3 hours. The last boss is unimaginably hard, and I spent a solid 30 minutes cursing and throwing a fit until the credits rolled. The ending screen is brilliant by the way, totally worth the suffering.

My best advice for the final battle is this:

1: Kill the lil drones quickly by jumping and grabbing before they shoot.

2: If you reach up right when he teleports over your head you can headbonk him before he shoots his lightning laser of death at you. (This takes alot of frustrating practice)

3: Don't get sucked into the black hole.
animeprotege

Post by animeprotege »

This is my first post in this community!Talk about nostalgia!!!I haven't played this game since I was about 11 years old.If my memory serves me correctly,I know I made it at least halfway through the game.Since it's been so long,I don't remember but I may have made it close to the end.I did learn some things game-related in this group.This game brings back some memories... :D I may have to play it again and record the game footage so I can finally beat it and put it to rest.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Post by molotovwars »

So I actually never really played Ristar again since my last post. I put it in a couple days ago and got further, I think the boss of the music level. I dunno, I'm just not liking the game too much. At first I liked it, then one of the levels got real boring, then it was okay again. I'll give it another shot soon.

I guess the problem is that if I die or get a gameover I'm not interested in doing again. In something like Vectorman I would died then be like shit, I'm better than that I can do better. But in Ristar I die and its more like, well shit, I guess I could play the level slower and have less fun while trying to hold out for a yellow star to gain some health. Maybe my opinion will change my next go at the game. I guess I'll just try to beat it then I'll be done with it. Nothing special.