13%
Capcom NES
16%

Total votes: 31

Markies
Next-Gen

May 2020 Together Retro Poll

Post by Markies »

Welcome To The April 2020 Together Retro Poll!

Once again, I have not participated at all in these Together Retro months at all. Also, I couldn't really think of categories for games that I'm going to play soon. So, some of these games will be for now while others will be for later in the year.

I would prefer for people to play retro games for these categories. For some, you pretty much have to. For others, there are modern iterations that fit into the category, so if that is all you can play, then please go ahead. I would prefer Retro, but I would just like to see participation for my month.

If you have any questions, let me know. I will be around to answer them and I am always willing to bend the rules so that people will play more games.

With that in mind, welcome to my third Together Retro Poll!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strategy RPG's

Let's look at a niche genre inside of an already thought of niche genre. Strategy RPG's are the thinkier version of RPG's. They are normally longer with battles lasting close to hours. The stories are more about war instead of the normal RPG tropes. They also have more options. For a strict list, here is one for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tactical_role-playing_video_games

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halo Franchise

A very simple category. You must play a game in the Halo Franchise. If the game says Halo on it, then you can play it. Here is a nice list for you:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(franchise)

Sega Dreamcast Games & Their Ports

So, this can be either. You can play the game on the Sega Dreamcast or you can play the Port or you can play Both. For example, Dino Crisis came out on the Dreamcast and PS1. So, you can play it on either console. As long as the game was released on the Dreamcast and then ported to other consoles, you are good to go.

https://www.racketboy.com/retro/list-of-dreamcast-ports-on-other-systems

Card Battle Video Games

This is another small or niche genre. These are games where you basically do battles with cards. Any type of card battle game is acceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Card_battle_video_games

NES Capcom Games

Time to celebrate probably the best developer on the NES. If it was a game made by Capcom for the NES, then you can play it.

https://nesguide.com/publishers/capcom/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: May 2020 Together Retro Poll

Post by dsheinem »

Markies wrote: If the game says Halo on it, then you can play it.

Cool.

Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Ack

Post by Ack »

And now I really wish GOG had the Micropose Magic: The Gathering game, so I could go all in on card games.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I voted strategy RPGs and Capcom NES.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:And now I really wish GOG had the Micropose Magic: The Gathering game, so I could go all in on card games.

I keep asking Maro about it on his blog, but no acknowledgement. I'm sure it's a tangled rights issue plus it being a bear to run on a modern system (I ended up going with a Win98 VM).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Halo 2600 is a valid option for that category...
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
Ack wrote:And now I really wish GOG had the Micropose Magic: The Gathering game, so I could go all in on card games.

I keep asking Maro about it on his blog, but no acknowledgement. I'm sure it's a tangled rights issue plus it being a bear to run on a modern system (I ended up going with a Win98 VM).

Yeah, just think about it. First, there is the Micropose portion of it to track down. Then you gotta make sure it's square with Wizards of the Coast, which I hear is like pulling teeth. Then you gotta get it to actually work. Not to mention the problems that might come up due to international distribution.

But I still wants it bad.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I voted Card games and Strategy RPGs because I've got a couple of those on my 'to play' list for the year.

This is what I'd choose for each category:

Strategy RPGs:
I have so many of these to play, to the point where playing them is a gaming goal for 2020. Here's all of the older titles I could choose from:

- Any number of Fire Emblem titles (Gaiden, Mystery of the Emblem, Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776, Radiant Dawn, New Mystery of the Emblem)
- Knights in the Nightmare
- Yggdra Union
- Ogre Battle
- Dragon Force
- Shining Force III
- Valkyria Chronicles 2
- Disgaea

Halo:
The only Halo game I own is Halo 3, but I guess I could pick up the original for pretty cheap.

Dreamcast:
The only unfinished Dreamcast game I own is Grandia II, which could work OK. I have Samba De Amigo on Wii if that counts (is it a sequel or a port?). I also have a few games I've already finished I could replay (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on GC, Power Stone on PSP as examples).

Card Battle:
I have had Capcom vs SNK: Cardfighters Clash needing to be played for about a decade, and it's one of my goals for the year to play it.

NES Capcom:
I've beaten all the Capcom NES games I own, so I'd buy something new for this. The Little Mermaid and Willow seem relatively affordable, or Ducktales 2 or Darkwing Duck if I want to splurge a bit.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

alienjesus wrote:Dreamcast:
The only unfinished Dreamcast game I own is Grandia II, which could work OK. I have Samba De Amigo on Wii if that counts (is it a sequel or a port?). I also have a few games I've already finished I could replay (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on GC, Power Stone on PSP as examples).

The Wii version of Samba De Amigo is considered a port, so I would consider that acceptable.

If the game was enhanced from the Dreamcast version, it still is acceptable. For example, playing Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast or Skies of Arcadia: Legends on the GameCube would all be acceptable.