Together Retro March 2020 - The Arcade @ Home on 8/16-bit

Join in on our classic gaming club!
pook99
128-bit

Re: Together Retro March 2020 - The Arcade @ Home on 8/16-bi

Post by pook99 »

I enjoyed reading through this thread, I definitely agree that Master system double dragon is trash, I just think the NEs version feels a ton better even if it is only one player.

Rastan on Master system is one of the few games on that god forsaken platform that I find tolerable.

Bubble Bobble definitely overstayed its welcome, I finished it with a friend once in my life on the NES, will probably never do that again, could have easily been cut in half.

This thread inspired me to either play Final Fight on Sega CD or Final Fight one on GBA, have never played either but loved the SNES port (even though it is lackluster in many areas) and the original arcade.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Also really enjoyed reading through this thread and decided to participate and play two games this afternoon that fit with the theme.

The first game I played was Outrun on the Sega Genesis. I gotta preface this by saying this is one of my favorite games on any console, and I've played this game a lot throughout the years. I've played it a bit at the arcade too. Most recently at a Barcade location in lower Manhattan, which has a stand-up version of the arcade cab. However, I prefer the console version to the stand-up arcade cab, as controlling the steering wheel, stick shift, and stepping on the pedals seem a bit awkward while standing, IMO. I definitely like the sit-down cab better, but have not seen one in years.

Anyway, in regards to the Sega Genesis port, I really like it a lot. I think the controls are smooth, the soundtrack is great, and the difficulty is fair. I was able to clear the game twice this afternoon, on five attempts. The first time I finished the game was on Path D and the second time was on Path A. During my attempt on Path A, I was also able to unlock one of the easter eggs, which was the Sega blimp flying by in the third stage (desert), which appears if you are able to clear Stage 1 and Stage 2 in under a minute, and do not bump into any other drivers. Still a great game, especially for something quick to pick up and play.

The second game I played was NBA Jam for the Sega Genesis. I haven't spent as much time playing this in the arcade, but I don't think the Genesis port of this game has any glaring issues. The game is fast paced and I think one of the few sports titles that transcends sports fans, it's easy for anyone that likes video games to get into it. I played as the New York Knicks, and played 4 games, going 4-0. I beat the Dallas Mavericks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Heat, and Washington Bullets. Unfortunately my game froze the first time I played the Timberwolves. I had a considerable lead, and there was only a few seconds left, but I had to restart the game and go at it again. This game has also aged well and is another really fun pick up and play title. I'm tempted to get a four player adapter just for this game. Maybe one day I'll sit down and try to beat every team.

Great theme by the way!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've been playing The NewZealand Story for Mega Drive for the past two days. I'm not familiar with the arcade version, but the Mega Drive port is reputed to be the most difficult version as the levels are based on either a prototype version of the arcade game or just the original arcade release that was later superseded by a "deluxe" version with more/different levels.

You play as a cute little kiwi chick who has to save its friends who were kidnapped by a leopard seal. It's kind of a platformer, but it's also sort of like a maze game, your attack is shooting-based (starting with an arrow but that can be upgraded to throwing bombs, shooting lasers, or fireballs), and even though you can't fly on your own, enemies often fly around with balloons which you can take after killing them.
This game is SUPER CUTE but it's also SUPER HARD. The first couple levels are fairly straight forward but by the time I get to stage 1-4, I start dying. I can't yet beat the first boss because you have to do it without taking a single hit. Still, I like this game and want to keep trying; I might not beat it, but I'll hopefully get farther! Thankfully there's a cheat to get 9 continues but even using THAT isn't enough to make this game easy.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Just finished final fight one on game boy advance.

I grew up on the SNES final fight, I played the arcade game a bit, but usually when I was at the arcades I was too busy playing one on one fighters, but I used to play through the SNES port of final fight almost every day when I came home from school. My views of the SNES port was definitely blinded by nostalgia, even as an adult I would swear by how good the SNES game is, but after playing through the GBA game the flaws of the SNES version really stand out.

The GBA game is just a great port of the arcade game, all 3 characters, no slow down, much larger mobs of enemies, and the rolento stage are all present here and the speed/franticness and difficulty of this port are considerably greater than I am used to. Luckily as you progress through the game you unlock more options, including the ability to start with 9 lives, which made all the difference.

I am not familiar enough with the arcade to tell you if there are substantial differences between the versions, the 2 things that stood out to me are the character specific cutscnenes that proceed each boss fight as well as the fact that poison/roxy have been replaced by their weird male counterparts from the SNES game

Final Fight is a great beat em up and the GBA version is probably the definitive version but I will check out the sega cd port at some point because I have heard great things about that one as well
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Pook, I'm glad you reviewed Final Fight on the GBA -- I didn't even know a port for GBA existed. I'm gonna have to check it out. I have Final Fight for the SNES, but I have to admit I'm not too good at the game. Have a hard time getting past the fourth level. I like it and have good memories trying it out as a kid, but I agree that the SNES version is definitely flawed.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Note wrote:Pook, I'm glad you reviewed Final Fight on the GBA -- I didn't even know a port for GBA existed. I'm gonna have to check it out. I have Final Fight for the SNES, but I have to admit I'm not too good at the game. Have a hard time getting past the fourth level. I like it and have good memories trying it out as a kid, but I agree that the SNES version is definitely flawed.

The GBA game will kick your ass at first, it is definitely tough, but as you play more you unlock more options that will make it more manageable. there is also adjustable difficulty with an easy and very easy mode which should help you see more of the game.
marurun

Post by marurun »

We’re two days left to wrapping up March, and I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts. It’s also been a tough month for a number of reasons, and while a lot of people have had more time at home lately, that time hasn’t been stress-free. A lot of gaming has been comfort gaming, and that doesn’t always fit Together Retro well. I am pleased as punch as many people took a stab at some arcade ports as did. I hope if you’ve been putting this off that you find time to dip your toes in in the next couple days before April arrives. And when it does, dig right in for the April TR!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks for hosting, Marurun! This was a fun topic that really encouraged me to explore my collection a bit.