Together Retro March 2020: The Poll. Pick your poison!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

Help choose what we're playing for TR March 2020

Poll ended at Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 pm

1) Disney's Western Competitors.
4%
2) You got history in my sci-fi! You got sci-fi in my history!
11%
3) DOS games on console.
29%
4) Wet and Wild!
25%
5) The arcade at home on 8/16-bit era consoles and handhelds.
32%

Total votes: 28

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro March 2020: The Poll. Pick your poison!

Post by dsheinem »

So it looks like arcade ports?

Can you clarify a bit about what games would or wouldn't count? For example, does something like Double Dragon II on the Game Boy count (the game is in fact a rebranded Kunio-kun Game Boy game that never had an arcade version), or would that be ruled out since it isn't any kind of approximation of the arcade game? What about the NES port of Double Dragon II, which is itself still pretty distinct from the arcade experience?

I suppose it is fine to play lots of faithful arcade ports? Like, if I wanted to treat this month as a chance to play well-liked ports of games such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Strider, Gradius, R-Type, etc. would that be fine, or (per some of the wording in the OP) are you specifically looking for games that already had "two strikes" of poorly received outings?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, looks like 8/16-bit arcade wins the poll and will be March's theme!

Basically, the goal is to play home ports of arcade games, not new or modified games inspired by the arcade. It's to take a look and see what kinds of compromises home platforms had to make, but also what aspects of arcade titles rise above the hardware. I think all the NES Double Dragon ports would be excluded, sadly. But you could pick popular or unpopular titles. No limitation there.

The 2 strikes was reference to the fact that this theme didn't get selected last year, and due to finishing 2nd last year during its month, was included in the best-of-the-losers voting and also lost there.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Cool, thanks for clarifying. That's a huge range of options - probably a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the 8-bit and 16-bit libraries were arcade ports.

Speaking as someone who really really likes the lesser-loved systems of this era, if anyone has been looking for an excuse to play some Sega 32X or Atari 7800 games (or to finally try out these systems), this would be a great month to do it...many of their arcade ports are among their best offerings...
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I think I might subject myself to some C64 games for this month. It's absolutely rife with arcade ports, legal or otherwise.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Sload Soap wrote:I think I might subject myself to some C64 games for this month. It's absolutely rife with arcade ports, legal or otherwise.

Hmm, that's not a "console" though...

Marurun, are computer ports cool?
marurun

Post by marurun »

dsheinem wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:I think I might subject myself to some C64 games for this month. It's absolutely rife with arcade ports, legal or otherwise.

Hmm, that's not a "console" though...

Marurun, are computer ports cool?

Computer ports weren't meant to be included, but I'll make an exception as long as a port of the game selected is ALSO sampled on a console for comparison. So computer ports are not OK by themselves unless paired with a console/handheld port to further a look at the game. Same goes for the arcade original. If you want an excuse to play the arcade original, do so, as long as you also play a console or handheld port to share a little comparison or analysis. This should be all about looking at what console devs wrestled with: good scrolling and sprite handling, but not as good as the arcades, paired with relatively limited memory, etc... What's compromised and what still works?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Dang it. Master System it is then.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If anyone wants to bounce any ideas off us looking forward to March, now's the time! There are lots of great titles worth trying out. If you have too many options, let us help narrow them down. If you don't have enough, we can make recommendations of items you can pick up before March is here.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile