9%
Not For YoU.S.A
31%

Total votes: 32

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: February 2020 theme poll

Post by alienjesus »

Other accessible options include Bells & Whistles (aka Pop'n Twinbee) which has just been released as an arcade archives game on Switch, and Vib Ribbon, which was released on PSN for PS3 in all regions iirc. Alien Soldier is on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Classics collection on PS4, XBox One or Switch as well.

I've played a decent chunk of these exclusives, and if you can, I'd highly recommend any of the following:

Ufouria: The Saga
Trip World
Alien Soldier
Bishi Bashi Special
Another Code R (This is a sequel to the DS game Trace Memory)
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Last Window (This is the sequel to Hotel Dusk)
Pokemon Typing Adventure (this is surprisingly fun)
Hammerin' Harry: Ghost Building Company
Jam with the Band
Bubble Bobble (SMS)
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I'm thinking about playing Monster World IV on my Genesis mini... Or Pulseman (I have a repo cart and have Project LUNAR on my mini).

I do have a clarification question: I know Metal Storm was released in the US, but I just got the Japanese cart re-release from Retro-Bit last month. Would that count? I'm thinking not because there was a US release.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

We never got Monster World IV or Pulseman in Europe.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Yep, just to clarify - games for this category need to have come out in both Japan and PAL regions, but not in North America.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

alienjesus wrote:Yep, just to clarify - games for this category need to have come out in both Japan and PAL regions, but not in North America.

Ah... I glossed over the released both but the US part.

After a quick glance on Wikipedia (listed all as "unreleased" in US) here are some MD games that fit the requirements:
Ball Jacks
Dragon Ball Z: Buyu Retsuden
Turbo Outrun
Twin Hawk
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wrestle War
Zero Wing
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

SpaceBooger wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Yep, just to clarify - games for this category need to have come out in both Japan and PAL regions, but not in North America.

Ah... I glossed over the released both but the US part.

After a quick glance on Wikipedia (listed all as "unreleased" in US) here are some MD games that fit the requirements:
Ball Jacks
Dragon Ball Z: Buyu Retsuden
Turbo Outrun
Twin Hawk
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wrestle War
Zero Wing

I'm also happy to ignore obscurities like Sega Channel too - so you could play the likes of Alien Soldier or Mega Man: The Wily Wars too, despite them getting released via that service in the States.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

alienjesus wrote:I'm also happy to ignore obscurities like Sega Channel too - so you could play the likes of Alien Soldier or Mega Man: The Wily Wars too, despite them getting released via that service in the States.

I tried playing MM2 Wily Wars on the Genesis Mini last night... man it felt slow and my timing was way off. The NES version is a game that I am good at, and can do a couple of levels without batting an eye.
This is from someone else's review:
There's a cap on how rapidly you can fire your cannon, which frequently gets me smacked around by the tougher enemies that I can usually drop quickly. In general, the timing of everything is all off.
BLOG | BST
marurun

Post by marurun »

There's a weird delay/lag on everything, even in the physical release. There's also slowdown periodically and the music has a slightly unsteady tempo (along with some bizarre instrument selection). It's just all-around a weird port job.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

That is enough to make me want to stay away from Wiley Wars. I may try to get Ufouria for next month.
BLOG | BST
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I ordered an SG-1000 game with a EU/JP release and hope to receive it soon. I actually already own three SG-1000 games that would qualify, but one I already played during the launch titles month and the other two are really early sports titles that are kinda clunky. We'll see what happens.