December 2019 Together Retro Poll - CLOSED! RFR FTW!!!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

DECEMBER 2019 Together Retro

Capcom Loves Dreamcast
6%
We’re All Doomed!/That’s One Doomed Space Marine!
15%
The Arcade at Home on 8/16-bit Era Consoles
10%
Robots Fighting Robots
17%
Sega Before Sonic
8%
That’s My Boy!
6%
LucasArts, but not Star Wars
13%
Back To School
8%
Industry Icons: Yu Suzuki
8%
Licensed For Speed
8%

Total votes: 48

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

December 2019 Together Retro Poll - CLOSED! RFR FTW!!!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Some say that, in life, there are no second chances, only remorse. There’s no time for remorse in video games, though, and true retro gamers give every game a second chance!

All the topics for this month’s Together Retro poll are the runners up from the first eleven months of the year:

JANUARY - pierrot

Capcom Loves Dreamcast

Hard to imagine a more lovely couple than Capcom and the Dreamcast. Easily the largest group of games in any of these categories, and there's more hair-straightening, finger-blistering action here than you can shake an arcade stick at.
    Biohazard Code: Veronica Kanzenban
    Bounty Hunter Sara: Holy Mountain no Teiou
    Cannon Spike
    CvS: Millennium Fight 2000 / Pro
    CvS 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001
    Dino Crisis
    El Dorado Gate Volume 1-7
    Gaia Master Kessen! - Seikiou Densetsu
    Giga Wing
    Giga Wing 2
    Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
    JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
    Mars Matrix
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon DX
    Netto De Tennis
    Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein
    Power Stone
    Power Stone 2
    Project Justice
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Spawn: In the Demon’s Hand
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Street Fighter III: Double Impact
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
    Super Puzzle Fighter II X
    Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge
    Taisen Net Gimmick Capcom & Psikyo All Stars
    Tech Romancer
    Vampire Chronicles

FEBRUARY - Michi

We’re All Doomed! - COMBINED WITH AUGUST

Has TR never done Doom? Is this a thing? Whatever the case may be, if you’d like to destroy the hordes of Hell, then strap on your space helmet and pick up your space guns, cause we’re going for a very bloody ride. Already played Doom? Then feel free to join us by playing Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64 and Doom 3. Let’s all leave a bloody trail of corpses together. And if, by chance, you happen to finish the first game early and would like to keep playing by booting up a new, lets say, addition that may be coming out soon and telling us all about it….well, I guess as long as you played through Doom with us first I wouldn’t be opposed to that either.

MARCH - marurun

The arcade at home on 8/16-bit era consoles

This theme is about trying to recapture the arcade experience on 8 or 16-bit era consoles. Home versions that completely remake the arcade experience need not apply. Neo-Geo AES/CD doesn't count, but Neo Geo ports do!

APRIL - BogusMeatFactory

Robots Fighting Robots

Nothing is more awesome than hearing the clash of metal on metal as enormous machines do battle. Here are a selection of awesome games featuring robots fighting robots:

1. One Must Fall 2097 - The greatest DOS fighting game EVER MADE! One Must Fall 2097, pits machine against machine in a rich and vibrant tournament of destruction. Players can choose from playing a standard story mode, but where the game really shines is in it's career mode. Players can create a character and earn money to purchase, customize and upgrade your robots to reach the top of the tier. I can not stress enough how fun and fulfilling this game was as a fighting game and still stands as one of my personal favorites of all time.

2. R.A.D. Robot Alchemic Drive - This is an absolutely insane game. Players control giant robots that fight in large cityscapes, but the interesting spin on the typical trope is that you control those robots from ground zero amidst the chaos. You are not perched inside the beast, or controlling it from some unknown location, you are maneuvering on the ground nearby as the machines battle! There is truly nothing like this!

3. Cyborg Justice - Yes... I know... Bogus is again highlighting a mediocre game... or am I? Cyborg Justice on the Sega Genesis is truly a unique gem of a game. This seemingly typical beat-em-up features a unique mechanic which involves customizing your cyborg with various leg, body and arm parts that change the mechanics and controls of your creation. Do you select pneumatic legs that offer a super jump, or do you do tank legs that transform you into a charging ram of death and destruction. Whether you pick a saw hand or a rocket hand, the choice is yours and the game can offer a lot of fun. Even better, you can switch out parts by viscerally removing them from your opponents mid combat. Want that awesome Laser Hand? Pry it off their bodies! The ability to remove parts is a lot of fun and soooo fulfilling!

4. Gundam.... everything? - Seriously, the Gundam Franchise is practically everywhere and in everything. You can pick fighting games, action rpgs and even First Person action games. Pick it all!

Other honorable mentions - The Mechwarrior franchise, the Starsiege franchise, Steel Battalion, Zone of the Enders franchise

MAY - prfsnl_gmr

Sega Before Sonic

This category takes us back to a time when Sega has less ‘tude and more personality. A time before Sonic the Hedgehog. A time before June 23, 1991. For this category, you pick games developed or published by Sega before June 23, 1991, and then write about them in the Together Retro thread. Some good choices would be: Alex Kidd, Bonanza Bros., Congo Bongo, Fantasy Zone, Golden Axe, Moonwalker, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Tac-Scan, Zaxxon, etc. Sega was a pretty prolific developer and publisher; so, you will be able to choose from a lot of games if this category wins the vote (which it probably will because you guys love Sega so much).

JUNE - alienjesus

That’s My Boy!

This category is for showing our love for the original Game Boy, 30 years old this year! We want to look beyond the obvious options and explore the library in more depth, and the system has a lot to offer. Specifics: there’s only a few rules for this one - Black and white game boy only, no colour. Games shouldn’t be from the obvious list of staples - no Mario Land, Pokemon, Metroid 2, Links Awakening etc. They should also not be direct ports of games better known on home consoles ie. no mortal Kombat, Ducktales etc. Lesser known ports and Pc ports are fine!

Suggestions: Catrap, Burning Paper, X, Great Greed, Sword of Hope, Rolans Curse, Noobow, Solar Striker, Q Billion, Nail n Scale, Tail Gator, Revenge of the Gator, Adventures of Star Saver, James Bond 007, Motocross Maniacs, Mercenary Force

JULY - Nemoide

LucasArts, but not Star Wars

Pretty self-explanatory, games by LucasArts that aren't Star Wars-related. The company may only be a shadow of their former glory, but their classic games deserve to be played. Their point & click adventures are especially great and can easily be played on almost any hardware setup thanks to ScummVM.

Suggestions: Sam & Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, The Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Outlaws, Gladius, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

AUGUST - Gunstar Green

That's one Doomed Space Marine - 90's First Person Shooters - COMBINED WITH FEBRUARY

While the genre in its loosest sense technically predates Wolfenstein 3D and even Catacomb 3D, the 90's was when it really took form. Games like Doom changed the way people thought about the PC as a game machine and the early FPS games had a specific action-oriented feel to them with level design that leaned towards exploration, elements that have been coming back into style in recent years with games like DUSK and Ion Maiden. Load up your shotgun of choice and blast through waves of baddies in these pre-2000 power fantasies.

SEPTEMBER - noiseredux

Back To School

September is upon us. Let us relive going back to school via retro games! This option is fairly loose in that we're focusing on games that take place at school. You could probably come up with tons of games that have a school in them, though it might be more interesting to really focus in on games that take place in schools as their primary setting.

Suggestions: Bully, River City Ransom, Rival Schools, Corpse Party , Obscure & Obscure Aftermath, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Harry Potter...

OCTOBER - CFFJR

Industry Icons: Yu Suzuki

Stealth Shenmue pick! Don't worry, I'm only kidding. Industry Icons will celebrate creators, developers, and characters with a big influence on the game industry as a whole. This one will focus on Yu Suzuki. Any game he worked on is fair. Wikipedia has a handy dandy list for your reference. I for one had no idea he had a hand in 18 wheeler. Surprising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Suzuki#Games_developed

NOVEMBER - Markies

Licensed For Speed

Requirement: Must play a licensed racing game. Racing games are probably my second favorite genre behind RPG's. This is a genre that lets me experience something I could never do in real life. I can drive over 100 MPH in the thick of traffic, have a head on collision and then restart the whole thing in 5 seconds. The controller gripping and pulse pounding action always keeps me at the edge of my seat. Also, the different varieties adds a uniqueness for each experience. This is another specific category. The racing game must have licensed cars in them, meaning actual real life cars. So, no Mario Kart or future racing games are allowed. I'm talking about cars made by Honda, Toyota, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz. For a good list, here is a another good list: https://www.giantbomb.com/licensed-cars/3015-5677/games/

Suggestions: Forza Motorsport, Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, Ridge Racer, OutRun.

YOU CAN VOTE 3 TIMES!!!! YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTES!!! GO CRAZY!!!

(I’ll close this thing down at a random time of my choosing on Black Friday, November 29.)
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: December 2019 Together Retro Poll - VOTE NOW!!!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’ve voted....but there’s still time to change my mind!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Voted for Back to School, Yu Suzuki and Licensed for Speed.

I felt a little bad about voting for myself, but those are the categories that have the games that I most want to play.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I voted for Space Marines and Robots, because you all need to play more '90s FPS and robots are cool.

Even better if you play an FPS featuring robots.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:I voted for Space Marines and Robots, because you all need to play more '90s FPS and robots are cool.

Even better if you play an FPS featuring robots.

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok, folks, we got Robots Fighting Robots in the lead! Who hasn't voted yet? It could be robot fightin' time soon!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

VOTE!!!!!!!!
Ack

Post by Ack »

We are so close to Space Marines and death by bullets! For Honor! For Glory! For Violence! VOTE!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Last chance! I’m turning this off later today! Vote, or change your votes, while you still can!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

THE POLLS ARE CLOSED!! IT’S ROBOTS FIGHTING ROBOTS BY A NOSE!