Together Retro 2020 - The Plannening!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
marurun

Together Retro 2020 - The Plannening!

Post by marurun »

Hello folks,

This thread is where we will plan TR 2020. Let's hold off on nominating ourselves for months and first have some discussion about whether we like the current model or want to make minor adjustments to it. I think it's been working well enough we don't want to keel-haul the entire process, but nothing is perfect, and if there are legitimate criticisms of certain aspects of Together Retro as it has been for the past couple years or so, we should try to hash them out.

I will update this post when we're ready to start doing calendar assignments.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2020 - The Plannening!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It seems like TR participation and discussion has slowed down quite a bit. Some of this may have to do with having some of our more loquacious members leaving the site altogether, however.

I like the format. "Themes" do indeed work better than specific games.

I prefer categories that are broad but also have unambiguous limits, like the current Working Designs Month, pierrot's Konami Mega Drive Month, dish's Virtual Boy Exclusives Month, and so on. I don't think this should be a requirement though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

If I'm being honest, I personally preferred the old specific game/series way. But, I think I'm probably in the minority. And I don't mind the new way, it does often give me some options. So just saying it to say it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

In an ideal world that would be a "better" way to do it, but it's just not possible on the forums as they are now. We are no longer the hopping new hotness (nor is any forum, really).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I think the real question that needs to be asked first is if there are actually 10 or 11 members who want to lead a TR month next year, or even just a handful who want to handle the whole year. I don't mean to dampen anyone's spirits, but just looking at it from a practical standpoint, it's sort of getting down to the skeleton crew on the boards. We're getting into the holidays, too, but I'd just be kind of surprised if there were actually a quorum for this. Personally, I just don't know that I could put my name down for this again without potentially overextending myself wherever that month landed.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’ll take a month or two.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I’d rather keep this going until it limp into nothingness rather than not run things like this and consign the forum to its slow death even faster.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I’d do a month next year if needed. I didn’t participate much this year, so this would be a good incentive to remedy that...
Ack

Post by Ack »

I stepped out this year to give other folks a chance. I'm coming back next year. You want hellfire and fury? Ack will give you a month of pain.

Conversely, I can also provide an entire year of death, but you do not want to suffer that. Unless you want to face the nightmare of Gladiatorial Combat month, Shoot the Undead in the Face month, Extinction Month, Die for the Emperor month, and so forth. Also, Lovely Visual Novel month because fuck you, Ack is multi-faceted.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:I stepped out this year to give other folks a chance. I'm coming back next year. You want hellfire and fury? Ack will give you a month of pain.

Conversely, I can also provide an entire year of death, but you do not want to suffer that. Unless you want to face the nightmare of Gladiatorial Combat month, Shoot the Undead in the Face month, Extinction Month, Die for the Emperor month, and so forth. Also, Lovely Visual Novel month because fuck you, Ack is multi-faceted.

What about Games with Penguins in Them month? Or, Sanrio Games month? Sports Games with Frogs in Them month? Are those tough and cool too? :lol: