October 2019 TR - Is That A Nightmare In Your Pocket...?

Join in on our classic gaming club!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: October 2019 TR - Is That A Nightmare In Your Pocket...?

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I finished Corpse Party over the weekend and just wrote like 3000 words about it over in the Games Beaten thread. Tl;dr it has some good bits but I didn't really like it.

I tried playing some Dead Nation, another game I've had for ages, on my Vita over the weekend but put it down after 1 level. I remember doing the exact same thing with the PS3 version way back when, and the smaller screen and worse control method make it even harder to continue on with on the Vita :lol:

Still no luck with finding Nanashi No Game either, so this very well may be the end of my contribution to this month's TR, but I was happy to take part at all though :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

You didn't butter up your pooper enough beforehand.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:
noiseredux wrote:That said, I was pissed and freaking out when I ran out of ammo, so luckily it was when I reached that last room where Parker was.

I think I inadvertently discovered a strategy for this boss. As soon as the fight started in the first hallway you encounter the zombie, I threw a grenade at her and ran to the next area. My thinking was that if I just keep running she's gonna pop out of the vents irregardless and I might as well try to save ammo. I run to the next area aaaaand nothing. Despite the scary music no zombies are crawling out of vents and the boss monster is nowhere in sight.

After taking a stroll I eventually reach Parker. He's all like "Jill, I'm glad you're safe!" Uh, thanks? I still don't have the key I need that the zombie is carrying but now I have Parker! I feel bad that I'm leading Parker to his demise but I don't care. We waltz straight back to the beginning of the fight and lo and behold she's still there screaming in zombie-rage.

Now that I have a partner this section was a cakewalk. In the room with the restrooms a zombie slithered out of a wall and, unbeknownst to me while I was shooting it, Parker was behind me with Rachel chewing his face off. Sorry buddy.

I'm sure this section would be really tense if you're by your lonesome but from now on I'm gonna go get the computer partner for bait.

Brilliant!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Playing some Portait of Ruin. It's decently fun, but I'm starting to wear thin on the recycled enemies and perpetually uninspired level design. I do love the grinding, though, oddly. Random drops are fun.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

RE: Revelations, cont'd...

Episode 5 was a bit on the shorter side, but it was also fairly varied. It starts by introducing a couple of new characters - Jackass (seriously) and Grinder (seriously). If you couldn't tell from the names, these dudes were in charge of investigating the crashed airplane and hacking the black box. Yeah. Anyway, this was a short section. Super short.

Then we get back to the good stuff: Jill making more progress in the ghost ship. Most of this chapter was a rather classic RE puzzle portion involving manipulating levers in different rooms to re-route steam out of broken pipes so I could access the room I needed to. And again, pretty standard RE fare like finding a missing gear to open a new door. But in the process I did find a cool new machine gun so that's helpful.

Oh, and now I've encountered these sort of swimming alien looking things that appear out of the water and have huge gross mouths. I have to be honest, these are the first creatures in this game to actually kind of creep me out. Good stuff.

I also actually took a bit of time to play a part of this chapter on the TV rather than gamepad and I must say I'm impressed with the visuals. I mean it's Wii U, but this game looks about as great as a lower budget Resident Evil game could look running on the Wii U. Certainly it looks much better than what I'd imagine it to look like on 3DS. And using a Pro Controller to play this one feels great.

This is such a solid game. I really think I'd go so far as to say I love this one. Like, in my mind I'm even thinking that once I finish it up I might still be in the mood to go back and revisit Revelations 2.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

noiseredux wrote:This is such a solid game. I really think I'd go so far as to say I love this one. Like, in my mind I'm even thinking that once I finish it up I might still be in the mood to go back and revisit Revelations 2.

Revelations on 3DS convinced me that I could actually love that series, when up to that point I'd always bounced off of it. I even gave RE4 a try after that and ended up enjoying that too (although I honestly enjoyed Revelations more). So fun to see other people on here discovering how fun that game is (even if it isn't connected to a general discovery of the series like mine was XP) :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh that's cool! It seems like most of the non-numbered RE games get kind of slept on. But yeah, having now played both Revelations I feel like they are just truly awesome games that I wish more folks would play. And maybe like in your case would even push them further into the series proper.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I beat Castlevania Legends, one of the most aggressively average games I've ever had the honor of finishing.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:I beat Castlevania Legends, one of the most aggressively average games I've ever had the honor of finishing.

:lol:

Yep. I beat it earlier this year, and it very, very OK. Now, however, I understand the origins of the sub-weapons! I feel so enlightened!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Sarge wrote:I beat Castlevania Legends, one of the most aggressively average games I've ever had the honor of finishing.

:lol:

Yep. I beat it earlier this year, and it very, very OK. Now, however, I understand the origins of the sub-weapons! I feel so enlightened!

Except it isn't canon anymore, which makes it glorified fan fiction. :lol:

It is a pretty silly premise, honestly. Wasn't there also the implication that Alucard was a progenitor of the Belmont clan? I can see that being an issue.