September Together Retro: Ready To Launch

Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: September Together Retro: Ready To Launch

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I decided to start up Pinobee tonight, and went through my GBA collection to find it. The game isn’t on my “want” list; so, I’m confident I have it. After going through dozens of GBA games, however, I discover, to my shock and horror, that...I DO NOT OWN THE GAME. This fact has generated somewhat of a minor scandal in the prfsnl_gmr household, and I have now added Pinobee (and it’s Japan-exclusive sequel) to my “want” lists. I’d ask all of you to keep this information under wraps for the time being, however, so that I can avoid further embarrassment. :lol:

Since I was in my collection anyway, I grabbed out Kuru Kuru Kururin, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Rayman Advance, Super Dodgeball Advance. I’ll give all of them a shot, and play at least one of them to completion.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The perils of owning so many games. It's easy to get disorganized! :lol:

It's eerie you posted that though, as I had the opposite thing happen to me this very afternoon. Found a copy of Space War (2600) in a random spot in my game room (not on my "Atari shelves"). I have no recollection of purchasing it, and the game was still on my want list (now deleted, of course). I typically have an uncanny memory of how/when I obtained my games; this one just appeared out of the ether. Sadly, it's not a launch title.

I'll get to playing to the ColecoVision in earnest this weekend. Going to start with the killer app: Donkey Kong. I guess you could say......... it's on.

marurun wrote:Well, every Japanese 8-bit system had a launch or early baseball and mahjong title.

Gotta combine that shit:
https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=8561
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Has anyone else noticed that almost all the second gen systems (Channel F, Studio II, Atari 2600, Odyssey 2, Intellivision, ColecoVision) launched with a blackjack title? Some call this the "space age" of gaming, I call it the gambling age!

I own INTV Blackjack and haven't played it yet. It's got some legit artwork. I need to play some of this gambling age home computer electronic gaming!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Alright...I tried out a plethora of GBA launch titles this evening...

Rayman Advance is fine. It’s a great looking port of Rayman (PS1), but I’ve never been a huge fan of that game despite loving some of the sequels. I need to play through this sometime, but when I do, it’ll probably be on the PS1.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is one of those over-animated, under-designers western platformers from the mid-90s. Literally everything about it is annoying. Hard pass.

Super Dodgeball Advance is another version of Super Dodgeball, but without my man, Kunio. The gameplay is fine, but a but sluggish. I’ll come back to this sometime.

Kuru Kuru Kururin is awesome. You move a rotating stick through a maze. The stick is piloted by some sort of bird, maybe? It speaks to rabbits and cats in Japanese before hopping in its little ship. I honestly have no idea what’s going on, and I should probably play with a translation patch. No knowledge of Japanese is needed to enjoy this gem, however, and interpreting the game only through visuals adds to its surreal nature. This is the one I’ll be playing!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I’d just try and acquire a Pal copy of Kuru Kuru Kururin if I were you. It’s a fairly cheap game over here as it was one of our launch titles too
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

@prfsnl: I feel like you've already put in more effort than is normal regarding Pinobee. Just caught your losses, bruh! :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:I’d just try and acquire a Pal copy of Kuru Kuru Kururin if I were you. It’s a fairly cheap game over here as it was one of our launch titles too

Japan forever! :lol: I also have the game on the Wii U; so, if I really wanted to play it in English, I could. I don’t think any of the sequels were ever released outside of Japan. Is that right?

noiseredux wrote:@prfsnl: I feel like you've already put in more effort than is normal regarding Pinobee. Just caught your losses, bruh! :lol:

:lol:

I know! It probably took me more time to look through my collection trying to find the game then it would have for me to actually beat it.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

prfsnl- is Eternal Ring faster paced than Kings Field? I liked the idea of King's Field but couldn't do the slow controls. A local game store has a copy and I'm tempted every time I walk in there.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

opa wrote:prfsnl- is Eternal Ring faster paced than Kings Field? I liked the idea of King's Field but couldn't do the slow controls. A local game store has a copy and I'm tempted every time I walk in there.

Yes. It is much, much faster. It has its own set of issues - somewhat awkward controls, repetitive textures, etc. - but movement speed is not one of them.

Also, King’s Field: The Ancient City is AWESOME. It takes a good 3 hours or so to get past the “deliberate” control scheme, but once you do, it becomes one of the best, most immersive, and most challenging games on the PS2.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Cool. I'll see if they still have it this weekend. That'll be a bit more of an interesting launch title.

I have beaten Super Mario Land and played the original Tetris for this month but they're not too exciting as I've played them too much as it is. I'd like Game Boy Tetris much more if someone made a hack that allowed you to push up and immediately drop a block. I know Tetris DS had that; it makes the game incredibly more swift.