31%
"That's one Doomed Space Marine" 90's First Person Shooters
22%

Total votes: 32

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: August 2019 Together Retro Poll

Post by Nemoide »

I almost made a category for Apogee games for my month , so shareware is definitely getting one of my votes.

I'll also vote for sports games because I've never *really* played them despite owning a few! It might be fun to sink some real time into NBA Jam TE and Toughman Contest on 32X or Baseball Stars 2 and Neo Turf Masters on Neo Geo. I've also been long curious to try the original John Madden or Joe Montana Football for Genesis.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Nemoide wrote:I almost made a category for Apogee games for my month , so shareware is definitely getting one of my votes.

I'll also vote for sports games because I've never *really* played them despite owning a few! It might be fun to sink some real time into NBA Jam TE and Toughman Contest on 32X or Baseball Stars 2 and Neo Turf Masters on Neo Geo. I've also been long curious to try the original John Madden or Joe Montana Football for Genesis.

The first three years of Madden on the Genesis are my favorites, before the NFL license using the original engine by Park Place. The first game hasn't aged the greatest but it has an incredible opening theme.

https://youtu.be/0zzVBPFdzMo

It's kind of a Road Rash/Road Rash II scenario where the follow-up does everything the first game does but better. JMF '92 also has the infamous killer ambulance that was removed in later years. It's still a lot of fun and it's a very important game since it was one of the biggest sellers early on for the system. Joe Montana Football which was also developed by EA (and developed to be purposely inferior) ironically holds up better by 2019 standards since it's simpler and more arcadey, thus it's fast and fun.

'93 is basically '92 with some new features like the coin flip and hurry-up offense. It's objectively the best, most polished game of the original trilogy.

Finally there was a Championship Edition of '93 that was a rental store exclusive making it the most valuable Madden game for what it's worth. Its gimmick is that it the roster is replaced completely with Super Bowl and championship teams so you can play the greatest NFL teams up to 1993 against each other. It's really cool and more challenging and probably the funnest version for two player versus.

My personal favorite of the three is '92 for the improved upon gameplay of the original without taking things too far and the Murderbulance. Championship Edition is a close second because it's retro Madden with a roster of dream teams. Regardless of which you play make sure you get a manual or PDF scan of one because there are features that the games don't really explain in game.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Retro sports games is probably a lost cause, but I voted for it anyway!

I know retro sports has been in many other polls, but never won. So, I'll always give it a vote.

And more Guns deserves a vote.

I close on my first house later this month, so I might be spending most of the month unpacking. I don't know how much gaming I'll be doing, so to play some quick retro sports titles would be a good idea.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

if it's a tie... Retro Sports Management Sims! :0
marurun

Post by marurun »

So little love for Shareware! You can get a lot of those early FPS games as shareware, y'know! Consider jumping to the dark side! And that way you can play all that Apogee stuff.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Honestly, all of the categories are good.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If sports wins, I’m going to have a busy August play schedule. For years, I’ve been meaning to get through:

Baseball Simulator 1.000
Baseball Stars
Double Dribble
Excitebike 64
Hot Shots Golf 2
Indy 500
Intellivision Football
Karate Champ
SSX
Tecmo Bowl
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Wave Race 64

I should also play Super Baseball 2020, but it’s probably better to save that one for next year. :wink:

Some good choices here. Wait, you've never played Pro Skater? Or any of the sequels? What the damn hell?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I put something like 50 hours in THPS3 when I was in college. I just never played THPS or THPS2. I need to remedy that, I think.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You do need to remedy it. It's interesting to see how the series evolved between one and three in terms of your ability to combo for score. THPS1 is definitely rough; the downhill levels in particular can be quite frustrating because you get one shot at doing them right. But there's also a bit of purity to it because you don't have the ability to chain together a million things.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:You do need to remedy it. It's interesting to see how the series evolved between one and three in terms of your ability to combo for score. THPS1 is definitely rough; the downhill levels in particular can be quite frustrating because you get one shot at doing them right. But there's also a bit of purity to it because you don't have the ability to chain together a million things.

100%. The evolution through those three games is incredible. And the first one is totally rough, and the downhill segments are a big part of that. THPS2 is incredible. As is 3, which Prof has already played and knows. But yeah, if sports wins, you should def play THPS2.