(POLL CLOSED) May, 2019 - BAD TO THE BONE!!!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! You can pick two!

80s Espionage x 90s Ninjas
18%
Bad to the Bone
25%
Prominent Product Placement
14%
Sega Before Sonic
23%
We Need to Talk About Kemco
20%

Total votes: 44

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

(POLL CLOSED) May, 2019 - BAD TO THE BONE!!!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here are your options for the May, 2019, Together Retro!

‘80s Espionage x ‘90s Ninjas - For this sneaky category, you pick at least one game released in the 1980s about espionage, sabotage, spying, etc. and at least one game from the 1990s about ninjas. Then, you go on the Together Retro thread and write about them. Some good combinations would be: Elevator Action x Shinobi III, Metal Gear x Ninja Gaiden II, Rolling Thunder x TMNT: Turtles in Time, etc. These are pretty popular themes; so, am sure you can sneak in a few more!

Bad to the Bone - This loathsome category is dedicated to games that are bad. Seriously. Bad games. Games that aren’t good...or fun. Games that assault the senses and fill your heart with dread. Games that make you break controllers or that leave you sad and confused. Games everyone hates. Kusoge. For this category, you pick some of those games; you play them (no one actually expects you to beat them); and you go on the Together Retro thread to write about them. If you spend some time with some of these bad games, you may even find that some of them aren’t THAT bad. Some of them might even be defensible...maybe even...kind of good? Good choices for this bad category include: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Deadly Towers, Shaq Fu, Bubsy 3D, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), etc. (I’m just kidding about ET, BTW. It’s actually a pretty good game!). The world of video games is full of misery; so, for better or for worse, I’m sure this group can come up with even more.

Prominent Product Placement - Yo! Noid! You’re Too Cool to Fool. Why don’t you Chase the Chuckwagon and Spot (Goes to Hollywood) some of these awesome games brought to you by our generous corporate sponsors! For this category, you pick games that prominently feature real-world products, play the games, try the products, and write about both in the Together Retro thread. Good games for this category include: Darkened Skye, California Raisins, Chase the Chuckwagon, Chester Cheetah, Crazy Taxi, Pepsi Invaders, Spot, TMNT: The Arcade Game, WipeOut XL, Yo! Noid!, etc....But wait! There’s more! (At least...I’m sure you can think of more.)

Sega Before Sonic - This category takes us back to a time when Sega has less ‘tude and more personality. A time before Sonic the Hedgehog. A time before June 23, 1991. For this category, you pick games developed or published by Sega before June 23, 1991, and then write about them in the Together Retro thread. Some good choices would be: Alex Kidd, Bonanza Bros., Congo Bongo, Fantasy Zone, Golden Axe, Moonwalker, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Tac-Scan, Zaxxon, etc. Sega was a pretty prolific developer and publisher; so, you will be able to choose from a lot of games if this category wins the vote (which it probably will because you guys love Sega so much).

We Need to Talk About Kemco - This dark horse category celebrates one of the all-time great video game developers and publishers...Kemco. While today it’s a prolific publisher of mobile JRPGs, there was a time when Kemco was a powerhouse developer and publisher, with many games across a variety of genres. You want a tactical, squad-based FPS? Try Rescue: The Embassy Mission. What about an ARPG? Give Lagoon a shot. Adventure games? Kemco published all of the classic MacVenture games on the NES, and it developed Shadowgate 64. Racing? Top Gear. Puzzle? Crazy Castle. Strategy? Desert Commander. What about an old-fashioned platformer? Try out Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout. Kemco published something for everyone, and a list of its games is available at: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/company/12920-kemco

The poll runs until I call it sometime on Saturday, April 27. Vote twice and have fun talking about the topics!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: May, 2019 - Together Retro Poll! VOTE NOW!!

Post by noiseredux »

I'm not voting yet, until I mull it over. But, had I had a month - I was planning one based on bad games as well, so I'll prob have to vote for that as one. My plan was to use this list of games as suggestions, so maybe this will help excite folks about bad games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... _reception
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You know what they say about great minds...

Here’s another old, NSFW article on bad games:

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/nes/egm.htm

Enjoy!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Epic choices. And yes, I'm pulling for a Kemco victory here.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

80s Espionage x 90s Ninjas - I like 90's ninjas. But... and this is pedantic... I don't want to choose two games for one month, so I'm not voting this way.

Bad To The Bone - Awesome choice. I love devoting time to 'bad' games. I have several things in mind, and this is def one of my votes - when I vote.

Prominent Product Placement - I feel like this could be cool, but I haven't quite thought of a game I'd want to play. Yet. If anyone can think of any DS games that fit this bill, shoot em at me. I have a weird fascinating with under-the-radar licensed DS games lately.

Sega Before Sonic - I'm a huge Sega fan. And this is an obvious vote for me... except, it's an obvious vote for me. I feel like it's a little too easy. If it wins, I'll be happy and have lots I can play. But I'm not going to vote for it I don't think.

We Need To Talk About Kemco - I'm sure I could find something to play here. Not super enthusiastic. But I can find something.

...so basically, Bad Games for sure. Maybe Product Placement if someone can point me to something interesting. If not... probably I'll cast my 2nd vote for Sega.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ohh, bad games. We have such sites to show you...

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:Yet. If anyone can think of any DS games that fit this bill, shoot em at me. I have a weird fascinating with under-the-radar licensed DS games lately.

Taking a spin through a list of NDS titles, I found games based on:

Chuck E. Cheese Pizza (three games, actually)
Crayola Crayons
Gummy Bears
Jelly Belly Jelly Beans
M&Ms (again, three games)
Red Bull

They are all incredibly inexpensive, and any of them would work. There are also a lot of games based on cars and toys, but I suspect people are less likely to try the product with regard to those games.

Also...when thinking about this category, don’t forget the weird Burger King Xbox/Xbox 360 games!
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:nking about this category, don’t forget the weird Burger King Xbox/Xbox 360 games!

The best of which is Sneak King, or as my friends like to call it, Rape King, a stealth game where a fast food mascot sneaks up on and sexually harasses people with fast food offerings.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

If anyone wants to play a good game with product placement in, pikmin 2 is a great choice. All the games treasure are everyday items, such as bottle caps and batteries, and all licensed.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

We all know which game is the one everyone must play if product placement wins... SHENMUE!!! Timex baby!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.