Together Retro March 2019 Poll: Winner = Arthur, Monkeys!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

Together Retro March 2019 Poll

Poll ended at Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 pm

HD remake my ass!
25%
The arcade at home on 8/16-bit era consoles.
28%
Nintendo, Sony, and Sega walk into a bar... And get drunk and publish games on platforms not their own!
20%
Arthur, Monkeys!
28%

Total votes: 40

Ack

Re: Together Retro March 2019 Poll

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The only logical choice is monkeys. Ape escape, monkey island, samba de amigo. Donkey Kong, super monkey ball, skull monkeys and so much more! No brainer!

Actually, does Monkey Island count? There aren't really that many monkeys in it.

Also...you left out Monkey Puncher.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ack wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:The only logical choice is monkeys. Ape escape, monkey island, samba de amigo. Donkey Kong, super monkey ball, skull monkeys and so much more! No brainer!

Actually, does Monkey Island count? There aren't really that many monkeys in it.

Also...you left out Monkey Puncher.

Hey look! A 3 headed monkey!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

marurun wrote:Fantasy Zone? PC Engine or bust!

Definitely, I'm just impressed with what they pulled off on the Famicom.

Also I voted for monkeys as I coincidentally just picked up Mario vs. Donkey Kong for GBA.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I haven't decided what to vote for yet, but here's a small sample of game options for each category to give people ideas:

1. HD remake my arse!
Oh so many: Original Crash trilogy, original Spyro trilogy, Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem 1, 2 or 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy 1-6 (assuming iphone ports count as HD remasters?), Dragon Quest 4,5 and 6, Metroid II, Phantasy Star, Ys Book 1 & 2, about a million PS2 titles...

2. The arcade at home on 8/16-bit era consoles.
Again, tons of options here, not worth me listing everything. But there's stuff like Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Space Harrier, OutRun, Pacman, Lock n Chase, Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Marvel Land .... I'm sure everyone can come up with tons of them!

3. Nintendo, Sony, and Sega walk into a bar... And get drunk and publish games on platforms not their own!

Here's some ideas for each company:

Nintendo: Their early Arcade output appeared on some non-Nintendo systems - stuff like Donkey Kong & Mario bros did the rounds on microcomputers and 2nd gen consoles. They also licensed Mario Teaches Typing on PC, and there is of course Hotel Mario and the 3 Zelda titles for CDi. Pokemon related stuff also appeared on PC and oddly enough the Sega Pico.

Sony: Sony Imagesoft published loads of games for Nintendo and Sega systems before the PS1 came out - including decent titles like Flink (MD), Hook (SNES), Mickey Mania (MD, MCD, SNES), Skyblazer (SNES) and Solstice (NES).

Sega: Another one I'm sure anyone can come up with nowadays - basically any Sega release after the Dreamcast that's old enough would count. They did also license some of their IPs for the Neo Geo Pocket Colour too though, as well as there being lots of Sega ports on the PC Engine line of consoles. Sega also published to PC in the 90s, with ports of Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic R and the likes too.

4. Arthur, Monkeys!
Some games which prominently feature monkeys and apes, as far as I'm aware:
Donkey Kong series, Toki, Rampage, Rhythm Heaven series, Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (one of the starters is a monkey!), Spanky's Quest, Super Monkey Ball series, Starfox (bad guy is a baboon?), Shantae series (can transform into a monkey in most games), Samba De Amigo, Monkey Puncher, SonSon, Ape Escape, Mother 3, Marvelous: Another Treasure Island, Timesplitters (series),
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Oooohhhhh Timesplitters!!!!!!! Come on everyone! Monkeys! Monkeys! Monkeys!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Some notes, with thoughts based on AJ's post, and also considering posts from others.

1. Bonus points for people who have played the HD remake but not the original and share their thoughts on the differences between the two.

2. I don't need to offer any notes for 2. This one's just too easy.

3. Everyone loves to forget all those early Sega ports to NES/Famicom and TG16/PC-Engine, not to mention PC ports like Golden Axe (better than it has any right to be, really). Also, emulated titles on other platforms do not count. Playing a Genesis collection is still playing the original Genesis games, even if the emulation stinks.

4. Incidental monkeys don't count. Let's stick to where monkeys have some centrality to the game. They are the final boss, a main character, or are the theme of the game. Some random enemy happens to be a monkey doesn't cut it. I'm not sure I would consider one of 3 Pokemon starters being a monkey, for example, to be a resounding qualification, though I'm certainly willing to read arguments for that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

There's a whole heap of Sega on the Famicom and C64.

Here's a monkey game for y'all:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

marurun wrote:
4. Incidental monkeys don't count. Let's stick to where monkeys have some centrality to the game. They are the final boss, a main character, or are the theme of the game. Some random enemy happens to be a monkey doesn't cut it. I'm not sure I would consider one of 3 Pokemon starters being a monkey, for example, to be a resounding qualification, though I'm certainly willing to read arguments for that.

If you chose the monkey as your first pokemon and kept it in your team the whole way through, it's essentially the same as having a permanent monkey party member in any other RPG would be. I chose that Pokémon game specifically because the monkey pokemon is a starter - there are several other monkey and ape pokemon throughout the series, but that one could have a 100% presence in your run of the game, as the first pokemon in your team right through to the postgame.
marurun

Post by marurun »

That would be a conditional approval, then.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Well, even if the Monkey Island games don't count as monkey-games, I hope that category wins because I could use some motivation to play more Super Monkey Ball.