Join in on our classic gaming club!

What do you want for August Together Retro?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Board & Card Games
10%
Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games
25%
Non-Violent Games
27%
Animal Main Characters
29%
Unrealistic Sports Games
8%

Total votes : 59
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Time to vote for August Together Retro!

by dunpeal2064 Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Exhuminator wrote:. Most adventure, visual novel, puzzle, and many simulation games are non-violent. Most sports games could be considered non-violent. Most racing games are non-violent.

Music/Rhythm games should fit here too, and ironically, many Board/Card games :lol:

I do think this would be my favorite theme to win, just to see what games people manage to find that conform to these rules.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

I currently have my votes set on Animal Protagonists and Non-Violent Games, but I'm torn between those and Weird PS1/PS2 games, which is an awesome category full of amazingly odd titles like The Adventures of Cookies and Cream, ChuLip, A Dogs Life, Mr Mosquito, Gitaroo Man, No One Can Stop Mr. Domino, Incredible Crisis, LSD Dream Simulator, Cho Aniki, Katamari Damacy, Killer7, Parappa the Rapper, Gregory Horror Show, Stretch Panic, Kumauta...

There's all sorts of crazy weird stuff on those consoles, and I think it will be fun to see peoples reactions to them.

On the other hand, I'm not enamoured with card & board games. I'd most likely play some kinda of card-based RPG, but I don't have enough time next month to invest into that :lol:
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
nullPointer wrote:Disc switching can be tricky depending on the emulator/game. / Option two would be to use the emulator's built in drive functionality/plugin or a full-on virtual drive (DaemonTools, Alchohol 120%, etc).

Just for the record: ePSXe can load disc images (Bin/Cue or ISO for example) directly. It has disc switch functionality built right into the menu. PSX can do all of that as well. Those two emulators make it easy.

Yeah RetroArch handles it pretty gracefully as well. In point of fact one of the things I love about RetroArch is that the XMB-like overlay means I don't even need to put down my controller to switch discs or perform most other emulator functions for that matter (#LazyFTW). ePSXe has always struck me as a bit non-intuitive in this regard due to the way that it runs the game in one window and the emulator options in another (and depending on full screen/resolution settings it can get moody about changing between windows). But that's for PS1 games; I'd be curious to see how well any of these emulators handle the disc switch when the inserted disc image is a music CD. It might work just fine, but I've seen several reports to the contrary (although granted when researching any emulator issues it can be hard to tell what's legit and what's PEBKAC). Dangit, now I'm going to have to try it myself to see if I can get it to work! Who knows, maybe Vib Ribbon is old news and the music CD functionality has long since been ironed out.

Sorry to drive off topic! One of my votes is definitely going towards Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games. I've always been curious about Mister Mosquito, and this would be a great excuse to finally take it for a spin.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Wow the votes are pretty even so far between four of them! I'm especially surprised about Board & Card Games, since I thought it might not be too popular.

Something I forgot to ask though, do the hosts usually vote for their own month? If I were to vote, I would definitely vote for Non-Violent with the second vote being a toss up between Animal Main Characters and Wacky PS1/PS2. It would be hard for me to decide since both categories have games that I'm equally interested in (mainly The Dog Island and 102 Dalmatians for Animals, and Chulip and Pipo Saru 2001 for Wacky PS1/PS2).

I'll be happy with any topic though! I did put them together after all haha.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Yeah, Ex is right. There are a ton of adventure games that would slot in as non-violent. And while it's not really retro, you have stuff like Fez that's all exploration and no combat (and happens to be fantastic).
Nert
8-bit

by Nert Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone for the PS1 emulation tips :) if anything I'll stick with Harmful Park for now, I don't have that much time to game.

I voted for Wacky PS1/PS2 and Non Violent games. Lately I've been really into rhythm games so I'll probably dig into one of those for the non violent categories. Maybe Voez
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:do the hosts usually vote for their own month? If I were to vote, I would definitely vote for Non-Violent with the second vote being a toss up between Animal Main Characters and Wacky PS1/PS2.

If you plan to participate in your own TR, I don't see why casting your own votes is wrong.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Would Spot (NES) count as a board game? It’s like Othello. Very very fun with a second player
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm

marurun wrote:
pierrot wrote:
marurun wrote:All the little birds have pouches! They have pouches! :D

Prinnies, doooooooood!

I don't know what those are!

They have pouches! :D

Also, as I recall, they are the souls of grifters, murderers, and other ne'er-do-wells, made manifest in the underworld.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 pm

ESauced wrote:Would Spot (NES) count as a board game? It’s like Othello. Very very fun with a second player

Looks like it fits to me!
Return to Together Retro