Join in on our classic gaming club!

What do you want for August Together Retro?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Board & Card Games
10%
Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games
25%
Non-Violent Games
27%
Animal Main Characters
29%
Unrealistic Sports Games
8%

Total votes : 59
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Time to vote for August Together Retro!

by laurenhiya21 Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 am

alienjesus wrote:The non-violent game banner is of Torii No Hoshi from what I can figure. Seems to be a pilotwings kinda thing, but Prinnies are in it?

Yep, that's it! Most of the game is about flying around with regular ducks and geese (I think you are supposed to be documenting different species but I'm not 100% sure), but you're able to fly with Prinnies as well.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 am

Ok, I finally decided to vote: Non-Violent Games and Weird and Wacky PS1/PS2 games.

Also, I have some more thoughts on options that I haven't seen folks consider yet:

Card & Board Games
Super Solitaire, Vegas Stakes, Culdcept, Super Caesars Palace, Monopoly, Talisman (ZX Spectrum), Clue, Super Battleship, Fooblitzky...do you want to count Mahjong games like Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye or Picross titles like Picture Puzzle?

There are also some hybrids like Arcana, Baten Kaitos, and Lost Kingdoms that use cards as means to fight in JRPGs or to represent characters.

Wacky/Weird PS1 & PS2 Games
ChoroQ, Steambot Chronicles...would you guys count the Deception or Kengo series as "Weird"?

Non-Violent Games
I mean, this is a pretty huge set. Quite a bit of what can fit into other categories can also fit into this.

Animal Main Characters
The Sly Cooper series, Inherit the Earth, Battletoads, Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday, Earthworm Jim, Flicky...some interesting options here.

Unrealistic Sports Games
Blood Bowl, Speedball, Windjammers, Punch-Out, Zany Golf, Mega Man Soccer, Base Wars, Cyberball, Soccer Kid, Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City, The Simpsons Skateboarding

There are a lot of cool options possible.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 am

Ack wrote:There are also some hybrids like Arcana, Baten Kaitos, and Lost Kingdoms that use cards as means to fight in JRPGs or to represent characters.

And Phantasy Star Online Ep. III.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 am

Nert wrote:Question though, what is PS1 emulation like?

PS1 emulation has been excellent for nearly twenty years, and there are many quality PS1 emulators.

The first amazing PS1 emulator was Virtual Game Station back in 1999. That emulator was so good, Sony sued the creators, lost the court case, gave up and just bought the software rights from VGS' creators so they could shut it down.

After that in 2000, the almighty ePSXe released. ePSXe is the very best PS1 emulator out there, and is still being updated periodically. Some folks find it intimidating at first, but here's an excellent tutorial. ePSXe even has a solid Android port.

The next best emulator, for folks who can't wrap their heads around ePSXe, is PSX. PSX debuted sometime around 2007 IIRC. This emulator is very simple to use, and offers no frills emulation. I don't care for it because it's so limited. But if all you want to do is just emulate a PS1 in its native presentation, this gets the job done fine.

There are even more PS1 emulators than that. But those three are what I've used over the years with great success. ePSXe is what I almost always use specifically because it can enhance PS1 polygonal graphics nicely. And ePSXe has fantastic compatibility with even the rarest imports. (Provided you are using the right plug-ins and configure them correctly.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 am

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:There are also some hybrids like Arcana, Baten Kaitos, and Lost Kingdoms that use cards as means to fight in JRPGs or to represent characters.

And Phantasy Star Online Ep. III.

Man I’ve got some awesome memories of that game.
Nert
8-bit

by Nert Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 am

Great info Exhuminator, I'm definitely looking for easy so I'll check out PSX. Hopefully there's a version for Mac. What about using a PS3? I've used it to play games off a disc and find the emulation decent enough
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am

Nert wrote:Great info Exhuminator, I'm definitely looking for easy so I'll check out PSX. Hopefully there's a version for Mac. What about using a PS3? I've used it to play games off a disc and find the emulation decent enough

Unfortunately I don't think PSX has a Mac variant. (ePSXe has a Mac fork though.) From what I've read, PCSX-Reloaded is the most popular PS1 emulator for Mac. I have no idea how good it is, as I don't use Macs. I've never tried playing a PS1 game on PS3 either.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 am

Emulator stuff for Nert

I've heard good things about PCSX-Reloaded, and considering how good the PCXS2 emulator is, I'd imagine its a safe bet. If not, look into ePSXe, its not all that hard to set up if you have some help (There is a download with full bios and plugins pack for ePSXe that will give you everything you'd need and more). If your computer is beefy you might need to set CPU speed to 2x to prevent the games from crashing on boot, but thats pretty much it.

If you do need help, I (and I'm sure others) will be more than happy to through PM. Figure this info could help others, but don't want to stray too off topic. :)

PSOIII was actually the card game that I had in mind too. I freaking love PSO, probably too much, but just never ended up playing that one. If I had time I'd like to revisit Lost Kingdoms too, since its been so long since I played them.

I think I'll vote for that and non-violent, since they are the most likely to push me out of my comfort zone and have me playing games I otherwise wouldn't. And considering every game Ex has told me to play has been great so far, an excuse to play sea-explore-y stuff seems worth.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am

Much as Noise pointed out I'm really having to weigh my options here, as I can think of some solid choices I'd like to play in nearly every category. Great introductory post Laurenhiya! Your artwork is both fantastic and fun!

Nert wrote:Question though, what is PS1 emulation like? I'd like to vote for that category but I do not own the two games I have in mind for it (Vib Ribbon and Harmful Park)

As others have pointed out PS1 emulation is awesome these days, and in many cases the emulator can exceed the capabilities of the original system (or at least if that's your bag; I generally favor accuracy over enhancements). Currently I use the Beetle (AKA Mednafen) core through RetroArch (which is awesome) but it's hard to go terribly wrong with any of the popular PS1 emulators. So PS1 emulation is great ... but Vib Ribbon may cause you some issues if you'd like to try playing it in combination with your own music CDs (and particularly so if you're not already somewhat versed in PS1 emulation). Disc switching can be tricky depending on the emulator/game. This can be remedied somewhat if you're using physical discs in combination with the emulator, but that kind of defeats the purpose if you already have a physical system at hand. Option two would be to use the emulator's built in drive functionality/plugin or a full-on virtual drive (DaemonTools, Alchohol 120%, etc). In this case though you'd need to convert your desired music CDs to ISO, cue/bin, or some other full disc image format, which also assumes that the emulator/PS1 drive plugin will even cooperate with music discs (I mention this because most PS1 emulators won't let you play CDs through the BIOS like the physical system would).

I have seen some tutorials describing how to use MP3s in conjunction with Vib Ribbon (here's one), but I've never tried that. In point of fact, I've never tried to emulate Vib Ribbon at all (due in large part to the considerations above), but it's definitely an edge case I've seen discussed on several emulation forums. Long story short, in the case of Vib Ribbon you may be in for a bit of a project if you intend to try it with music CDs. Does anyone know if the PSOne Classic version of Vib Ribbon (available through the PlayStation store) allows you to use your own CDs on PS3?

After having said all of that, it's probably worth mentioning that you can of course play and enjoy Vib Ribbon without having to use your own CDs; it's just a feature that's always struck me as unique and ahead of it's time in many ways. So for me that would be one of the primary reasons to check it out. YMMV of course! :)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 pm

nullPointer wrote:Disc switching can be tricky depending on the emulator/game. / Option two would be to use the emulator's built in drive functionality/plugin or a full-on virtual drive (DaemonTools, Alchohol 120%, etc).

Just for the record: ePSXe can load disc images (Bin/Cue or ISO for example) directly. It has disc switch functionality built right into the menu. PSX can do all of that as well. Those two emulators make it easy.

-

I'm surprised to see Board & Card Games getting as many votes as it is. There are some retro CCG/RPG and boardgame/RPG hybrids I would be willing to give a shot. Though I think if Non-Violent Games wins, that would be the most interesting. As Ack said earlier, that covers an incredibly wide gamut of potential choices. Most adventure, visual novel, puzzle, and many simulation games are non-violent. Most sports games could be considered non-violent. Most racing games are non-violent.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro