Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

by Sarge Tue May 01, 2018 3:36 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Um... I want to participate, but... (how can I say this without thread crapping?)... I need something more action-oriented. Is there such a thing as a fast-paced, arcade-style first person dungeon runner?

The aforementioned Orcs & Elves totally fits in this category. It's not straight action-oriented, but it's so fast with the turns that it might as well be. I'm currently having a ton of fun with the game.

Also, agreed with Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. It's got some great, visceral combat from what I've read. I thought about this one for this month as well; I've had a boxed copy I haven't played for years now!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 01, 2018 3:46 pm

I beat Dark Messiah of Might & Magic years ago and loved it. Very visceral combat with lightweight dungeon crawling (you're not always in dungeons though). I recommend it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Tue May 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Well thanks again! I'll have a look at Dark Messiah or Shadow Tower: Abyss I think.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Tue May 01, 2018 4:35 pm

MrPopo wrote:
marurun wrote:Might and Magic I think has a Grimrock-ish gridded dungeon crawler, doesn't it? Or am I thinking Wizardry? Probably M&M.

Lesson time.

Sorry, I meant a recent title. Might and Magic X follows from the Heroes of M & M storyline but returns to grid-based, party-based, first-person play, but it's actually more recent than I recalled.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm

It's probably going to be another busy month for me and I'm probably not going to be able to play much (last 5 weeks of this quarter finally!), but I'll see what I can do.

First game I'm planning on trying is Madou Monogatari. Gotta get my cute anime game fix!

Well... mostly cute?? :shock:
Ack

by Ack Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
PresidentLeever wrote:I didn't like the lack of hotkeys and the stiff tile-based movement in grimrock (how if you hold down forward after having moved a tile the party will automatically move two more tiles forward, how you can't move back while halfway between tiles and how it could be annoying when trying to pick stuff up lying between two tiles).

samsonlonghair wrote:I need something more action-oriented. Is there such a thing as a fast-paced, arcade-style first person dungeon runner?

Sounds to me like both of you would enjoy non-node based FPDCs, with real time free movement (kinda FPS style). Plus combat that's not turn-based. Check out Arx Fatalis, or any King's Field game. Shadow Tower Abyss fits that bill. You can play it in English. Also Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. There are others, I just have to remember them. :lol: Maybe someone else will have some suggestions in this regard.

Heck, Bone says he was fine with folks playing fast and loose with this genre if it increased interest and inclusion, and he even mentioned something like The Super Spy, which means he'd probably be fine with the System Shocks and Deus Ex.

I don't think Witchaven, Heretic, or Hexen apply since there are no leveling systems (and I don't know about Strife), but if more modern is ok, Ziggurat is also a possibility.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Ack wrote:Heck, Bone says he was fine with folks playing fast and loose with this genre

I think some folks get hung up on FPDC, thinking soley of ye ol' hoary DOS based dungeon crawlers of an exclusive persuasion.

Truth is there's all sorts of first person dungeon crawlers out there, and some are even modern or sci-fi themed (SMT anyone?). Some are real time action, and some are turn-based. They exist on many platforms; PC, handhelds, consoles, you name it. If you need recommendations, ask us!

I've been eyeing a very obscure PS2 game that I may squeeze in at the end of the month. It will stretch the definition a tad, but I believe you all would find it worth reading about. That is if I'm not burned out by then. :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm

For those looking to just test the waters first, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin has no saves or passwords, and is designed to be beaten in a single sitting. On the easiest setting you may beat it the first time you play it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 01, 2018 5:11 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look at those at some point. To be more specific and maybe find some more retro alternatives, I didn't like the lack of hotkeys and the stiff tile-based movement in grimrock (how if you hold down forward after having moved a tile the party will automatically move two more tiles forward, how you can't move back while halfway between tiles and how it could be annoying when trying to pick stuff up lying between two tiles).

Yeah, definitely sounds like you'd be better off with something like one of the Elder Scrolls games, or going back further to a non-real time game such as Wizardry et. al.

Sorry, I meant a recent title. Might and Magic X follows from the Heroes of M & M storyline but returns to grid-based, party-based, first-person play, but it's actually more recent than I recalled.

Yeah, Might and Magic X is in the same vein as III-V in terms of mechanics.

I don't think Witchaven, Heretic, or Hexen apply since there are no leveling systems (and I don't know about Strife), but if more modern is ok, Ziggurat is also a possibility.

Strife does not have a leveling system, as an FYI.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Truth is there's all sorts of first person dungeon crawlers out there, and some are even modern or sci-fi themed (SMT anyone?).

Yep, I'd recommend Soul Hackers to pretty much anyone. A little creaky in spots, but overall a lot of fun.
Return to Together Retro