Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: First-Person Dungeon Crawlers

Post by Exhuminator »

Erik_Twice wrote:I'm cheering for you Exhuminator!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Nemoide wrote:Wizardry: TotFL really sounds like a great (and difficult) experience. I'm definitely going to keep it in mind when I'm looking for more FPDCs.

I'd definitely recommend it to you. Here's ten minutes of early gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve8scxL6ySA

That part is from the very beginning of the labyrinth, when the game still enjoys the player's company.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Aight, so I've explored a tiny bit of the top floor of Shining's labyrinth. I'm overleveled (as I always am) so I'm just pummeling everything that lies in my path. Still have a bunch of exploration and "stuff" to do before I finish. Checked a walkthrough (oh dear!) to see how close I am to the end -- frustratingly, I don't think I'll finish the game before the month ends, but I'll probably finish June 2nd or 3rd or so. So close!

Best character: Pyra. She's also in Time Stalkers, the Dreamcast game. I love gaming crossovers.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I’ve been playing a lot of Skyrim VR this month and hope to finish the main campaign today. Unless you really dislike an open world design, it would be hard to argue that, even seven years after its first release, Skyrim isn’t still the best First Person WRPG/Dungeon Crawler ever made...

Edit: Campaign complete!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:it would be hard to argue that, even seven years after its first release, Skyrim isn’t still the best First Person WRPG/Dungeon Crawler ever made

I would argue that honor goes to King's Field III. Though I'll admit playing a seven year old AAA RPG via an upgraded PlayStation 4 port using a virtual reality headset does sound like quite the retro gaming experience.

-

Unfortunately I didn't get to play any W:TotFL last night. Ended up having to burn some midnight oil for my day job. Hopefully tonight will go more smoothly.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I made a bit of progress in STHA before real life got in the way but I very much doubt I'll be able to beat it in the next two days. Will have to run into next months TR.

Made it to Eastern Town which is just a town full of ninja. Kid ninja, lady ninja, old man ninja, ninja putting out the bins, it's all ninja. The preceeding area was a bit of a shit with a nasty combo of slidy floors, pitfalls and really obnioxious enemies that hit hard and summoned clones when they were about to die.

I do like this game but it isn't really drawing me in like a really good Rpg should. Combat is pretty basic and reptitive, there's nothing in terms of story and character and the graphics are a bizarre melange of sprites, 3D, pre-rendered aspects and none have it really has any definition or detail.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:frustratingly, I don't think I'll finish the game before the month ends, but I'll probably finish June 2nd or 3rd or so. So close!

Well, I was wrong! Managed to finish this beast about half an hour ago.

A "decent" game overall. Like 7/10 material. Really groundbreaking visuals and character designs; I just wish the game had a bit more variety. Like the original Dragon Warrior, this one is just too damn redundant. It hints to great things to come, though, and I'm glad Climax/Camelot switched up genres for the "sequel" (Shining Force) which turned out to be far superior.

I'll post a longer write-up in Games Beaten later.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:frustratingly, I don't think I'll finish the game before the month ends, but I'll probably finish June 2nd or 3rd or so. So close!

Well, I was wrong! Managed to finish this beast about half an hour ago.

Our faithful curator comes through! Nicely done dude!

I think I'll manage to squeak out a win for the month as well. At this very moment I have Megami Tensei on pause and I'm sitting outside Lucifer's chamber. I think I have the roster/equipment/levels necessary to pull off a victory, but we shall see momentarily. Infinity Palace has certainly had more than its share of diabolical spinning floors, teleports, and trapdoors.

Wish me luck!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sload Soap wrote:STHA / I do like this game but it isn't really drawing me in like a really good Rpg should.

Yeah it didn't draw me in either. I was about 2/3rds the way through Holy Ark before I couldn't take it anymore. Some people really seem to enjoy the game though, so who knows it might get better.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Well, I was wrong! Managed to finish this beast about half an hour ago.

Congrats on finishing Shining in the Darkness. Sounds like you enjoyed it overall.

nullPointer wrote:Wish me luck!

I wish you belated luck since you posted this last night. :wink:

-

Well today's the final day of this TR. There's no way I'm finishing W:TotFL before tomorrow. :lol: I will keep cracking at it over the summer. I just need a break. W:TotFL can be an exhausting experience. As I make progress I'll mention it here until the game's beat.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'll probably do the same with Lands of Lore. I really don't want to pressure myself with it; the game feels like I need to take breaks between sessions for sure. I might put a lot more time into it if I've got various beat-'em-ups surrounding it. ;)
Ack

Post by Ack »

No worries. I plan to go back to Battlespire myself eventually. But for now, I'm happy with what I played this month.