Join in on our classic gaming club!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: FMV Frenzy

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Out of curiosity...does Mortal Kombat count? What about Time Cop (SNES) or any of the various Batman Forever ports? Lethal Enforcers?

Mortal Kombat counts if you are playing Chronicles:sub zero on PlayStation 1 (Not n64) as it has live actors cutscenes. Digitized actors in gameplay doesn't count as it isn't actual full motion video.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:26 pm

I just happened to stumble onto this great FMV mini-documentary: The Old West Greatness of ‘Mad Dog McCree’ Video Game - 8Bit Legacy (Great Big Story)
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm going to be at least a couple of days late to the party this month due to the fact that I still need to finish separate games that I started during the last two months of Together Retro! :lol:

Here are some words of encouragement for those who are already waist deep in grainy videos and quicktime segments! This also serves as a hint regarding the first game I plan to play this month ... at which point I'll need this encouragement ... because, hoo boy ... my initial short forays tell me it's gonna get real rough up in here.

(NSFW language warning ... for you giant prudes :wink:)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm

nullPointer wrote:I'm going to be at least a couple of days late to the party this month due to the fact that I still need to finish separate games that I started during the last two months of Together Retro! :lol:

Here are some words of encouragement for those who are already waist deep in grainy videos and quicktime segments! This also serves as a hint regarding the first game I plan to play this month ... at which point I'll need this encouragement ... because, hoo boy ... my initial short forays tell me it's gonna get real rough up in here.

(NSFW language warning ... for you giant prudes :wink:)

Please don't tell me you are playing the football fmv games..... oh man... those are worse than any make my video games!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:27 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Please don't tell me you are playing the football fmv games..... oh man... those are worse than any make my video games!

Haha, I didn't even know this was a thing ... although I am morbidly curious now. Is there anything with William 'Refrigerator' Perry, Howie Long, or Joe Montana? :lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:45 pm

nullPointer wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Please don't tell me you are playing the football fmv games..... oh man... those are worse than any make my video games!

Haha, I didn't even know this was a thing ... although I am morbidly curious now. Is there anything with William 'Refrigerator' Perry, Howie Long, or Joe Montana? :lol:

The two that I know of are, Mike Ditka's Quarterback Attack which is kinda of a real time split decision game from the quarterbacks perspective and then there is NFL'S Greatest: San Francisco vs. Dallas 1978-1993 where you pick plays and it just plays out in a video... sort of. It is bad.... real bad. It gives you the option to play the video full screen on the Sega CD and I assure you it just looks like someone is puking on your screen. It is completely nonsensical.

There is also Bill Walsh's College Football which plays like any 16 bit Madden game, but with Bill Walsh offering nuggets of information on the game through live action cutscenes.

nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The two that I know of are, Mike Ditka's Quarterback Attack which is kinda of a real time split decision game from the quarterbacks perspective and then there is NFL'S Greatest: San Francisco vs. Dallas 1978-1993 where you pick plays and it just plays out in a video... sort of. It is bad.... real bad. It gives you the option to play the video full screen on the Sega CD and I assure you it just looks like someone is puking on your screen. It is completely nonsensical.

There is also Bill Walsh's College Football which plays like any 16 bit Madden game, but with Bill Walsh offering nuggets of information on the game through live action cutscenes.

Man, I'm not going to lie, the Ditka and Bill Walsh titles don't sound half bad ...

I looked up Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka on Wikipedia and I got a chuckle out of this Ditka quote which I'll share here:

Wiki on Ditka wrote:When asked if it was difficult to call up his usual energy when working with a film crew instead of a real game-day situation, Mike Ditka said, "I've been called a lot of things, and being called 'an actor' has been one of them. It's not that hard to do, really."

So there you have it. Mike Ditka: greatest actor of our generation.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Oh yeah! Quarterback Attack isn't half bad and Bill Walsh's College Football isn't a bad game, just not much of an fmv game. Whatever you do though don't play San Francisco versus Dallas.

I would say that quarterback attack is the most coherent of the fmv sports games like slam city with Scottie Pippin.

marurun

by marurun Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Madden Football Duo also has short FMV clips for certain game events. Otherwise it's just a Madden-like football game on PCE/TG Duo without a league license of any kind.

Seriously, though, I suggest some of you peeps try one of the small number of FMV options on the Turbo/PC Engine. Most of them weren't bad!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Just so you know...Mike Ditka’s Quarterback Attack received a HD iOS port...it was ported by the same company that ported Double Switch.
Return to Together Retro