April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED.

Classic 90s RTS
Because it was such a damn good theme and a favorite genre of mine, I'm using a Phoenix Down on one of Exhuminator's theme options last month and bringing back Classic 90s RTS. Like Ex said last month, if it's an RTS game released between 1990-1999, it counts. I am gonna make one note here that this only includes strategy games like Warcraft and Command and Conquer, not simulation or tycoon games like Roller Coaster Tycoon or Sim Ant. I know some folks count those as RTS games; I don't.

Army Men Anthology
If you've followed the Games Beaten thread, you'll know that I've been all about Army Men games lately. It's always been a favorite series of mine, and my recent playthrough of the handheld games in the series has renewed interest in the series. There are about three dozen games in the series on a variety of platforms to choose from, and there are some radically different experience to be had. If you've yet to experience this gloriously infamous series, this is the PERFECT opportunity since I'm basically the resident expert on all thing Army Men. As long as it's in 3DO's Army Men series (including the Global Star Software games), it's fair game. The only exception is Army Men: Soldiers of Fortune as that's part of the series in name only.

All Hail the Neo Geo
This is a big category - maybe a little too big, to be honest - but it's one I'm excited about the prospect of. We all know and love the Neo Geo, and if someone says they don't love the Neo Geo, they're lying. Let's honor the king of the arcade and revisit some its greatest games. If you've got an MVS cabinet like I do, play some of the OG games. If you've got Popo-money, fire up an AES and play the Midas-tier home cartridges. If you don't have either, no worries; Neo Geo games have been ported to practically every system under the sun including super convenient compilations for the more modern systems. As long as it's a game or a port of a game that appeared on the Neo Geo MVS, it's fair game.

FMV Frenzy
Let's pay homage to the cringiest of cut-scenes, the most sinful of cinematics, and the most meager of movies from games in the 1990s. Most of us love them, and all of us love to hate them, they're full motion video games! There are a lot of games that count here, and there's a lot of wiggle room for what could count. In general, any game released between 1990 and 1999 and includes live-action full motion video cut scenes counts. It could be games like Corpse Killer that are almost entirely FMV or games like Resident Evil that only have a few. As long as it was released in the 1990s and has live action FMV scenes, it's fair game.

:mrgreen: LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP! :mrgreen:
I know these games aren't technically retro, but it's my month, and I think half of you would be confused and/or disappointed if I DIDN'T include this token option. LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA SERIES. The supreme epitome of fan service, there are more genres represented in the Neptunia series than you might think. Most of the games are JRPGs, but there's also a SRPG, a management sim, a musou RPG, a sort of musou-lite RPG, an action RPG, and - releasing in America in April - a VR experience for PS4. Hell, if you want to stretch it, we could include Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash since it just got Neptunia DLC. Time to get Nep-Nepping.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by Exhuminator »

I like the idea of being able to reuse past themes that didn't win. I'll definitely throw a vote towards '90s RTS.

Neo Geo month would be amazing. Really great idea man! There's my second vote.

FMV games I'm not so hot on personally, but it'd be good for laughs all month.

Ex is WAY too much of a wuss to handle Army Men games. 2Hardcore4Me

I'd LOVE for Nep to win, but I don't see it happening sadly.
(Though Nep already won my loins heart long ago.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:not simulation or tycoon games like Roller Coaster Tycoon or Sim Ant. I know some folks count those as RTS games; I don't.

boo!
Ack

Post by Ack »

I voted for 90s RTS and Neo Geo games. While I do own an MVS and an NGPC, I also have access to various ports and may use this as an opportunity to sit down with them.

Also, I see someone voted for FMVs. Bogus, is that you?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I haven't voted yet. Weighing out options.

90's RTS would have been my top choice if it weren't for the No City Builders qualifier.

Neo Geo seems like an easy obvious choice as those games are on basically everything with a screen. And it gives a lot of options.

I might actually roll with FMV for my second choice. There's some interesting choices out there. Especially some lesser known stuff that was even released on DVD and Blu-Ray over the years.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Goin' all in for Neo Geo. I have an AES with a converter that plays MVS games. Should/could be a fun time!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

All hail Neo Geo!!!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Hello, I have questions. I posted these on Slack also but perhaps it's better here so people can see responses:

Q1: Does FMV games have to have the FMV BE the game? Like, could I play Wing Commander 3, or Shinobi Legions?

Q2: Does Neo Geo Pocket count for Neo Geo theme?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ack wrote:I voted for 90s RTS and Neo Geo games. While I do own an MVS and an NGPC, I also have access to various ports and may use this as an opportunity to sit down with them.

Also, I see someone voted for FMVs. Bogus, is that you?

I am one..... one of many! FMV GAMES FOR LIFE!!!!!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Voted for Neo Geo and Nep. Those just seem like the most interesting to me I guess ha.