Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
8
11%
Classic '90s RTS
16
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
20
28%
Koei Klassics
8
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
20
28%
 
Total votes : 72
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8374
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by alienjesus Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Just to clarify, it counts if there is a female party member playable in an RPG too right? So I could play Mother, Final Fantasy 2 or Dragon Quest 2 because there's a girl in the party?

What about games where you can choose to play as either a boy or a girl? Fair game?
Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38132
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by noiseredux Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Good job, 8ball :D
Image
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 pm

alienjesus wrote:Just to clarify, it counts if there is a female party member playable in an RPG too right? So I could play Mother, Final Fantasy 2 or Dragon Quest 2 because there's a girl in the party? What about games where you can choose to play as either a boy or a girl? Fair game?


As long as the game is from 1980 - 1989, and stars a female as a primary playable protagonist, it counts. That means if you play a game where you can pick a female as the protagonist, you should do so. Bonus points for playing '80s games which solely star a female protagonist.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8374
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by alienjesus Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Just to clarify, it counts if there is a female party member playable in an RPG too right? So I could play Mother, Final Fantasy 2 or Dragon Quest 2 because there's a girl in the party? What about games where you can choose to play as either a boy or a girl? Fair game?


As long as the game is from 1980 - 1989, and stars a female as a primary playable protagonist, it counts. That means if you play a game where you can pick a female as the protagonist, you should do so. Bonus points for playing '80s games which solely star a female protagonist.



Being pedantic - when you say primary, do they have to be the lead? So with my RPG examples above, they wouldn't count because the first character you play as in all of them is a dude?

Edit: basically, I was planning to play Mother, and wanted to check it fits the bill
Image
User avatar
nullPointer
128-bit
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:51 pm
Location: Montana, USA

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by nullPointer Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm

These recent developments make sad mech sad. :cry:

Image

Buuuuut ... in the words of Mike D, we got the ladies of the eighties from here to White Castle. I need to dig into my collection to see what fits.
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 pm

I'll be reading what folks have to say about their ladies of the 80s picks and see if anything piques my interest, but will be waiting until then. I do hope folks have a great time with the pick though!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm

alienjesus wrote:Being pedantic - when you say primary, do they have to be the lead? So with my RPG examples above, they wouldn't count because the first character you play as in all of them is a dude?


By "primary" all I mean is, in the default pool of selectable protagonists, there needs to be a selectable female along with the sausage party. You should select her to be with your bros. If you can lead with her, you should lead with her. That would be truer to the spirit of this TR theme. So if you were going to play Heroes of the Lance, you oughta throw Goldmoon in your party. Or if you're playing Gauntlet, choose Thyra. If you're playing Legacy of the Wizard, choose Meyna, Lyll, or Jiela. It would be disingenuous to play an RPG where you could select a female, but instead you create an entire party of dudes. That would not at all fit the theme of March's TR. There are also '80s RPGs which star females as the foremost protagonist by default. Don't forget about those. Stuff like Phantasy Star, Ghost Lion, Silviana, and Faria: A World of Mystery & Danger!* to name but a few.

The concept of selectable protagonists extends beyond RPGs. Many '80s action games have a protagonist pool which includes a selectable female. Any of those games count for this TR, insofar as you play as the lady. It's Ladies' Night after all.

*So let's go ahead and head this one off at the pass; a given game's original release date is the point of entry. For instance Faria released in Japan in 1989. It was localized to the USA in 1991. Since the original game is from 1989, it counts!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38132
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by noiseredux Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Exum, Phantasy Star II is fair game right?
Image
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

noiseredux wrote:Exum, Phantasy Star II is fair game right?


Phantasy Star II originally released in 1989, and it has multiple female protagonists (Nei, Amy Sage, Anna Zirski, and Shir Gold.) However the primary protagonist is Rolf, who is a dude. In that regard, I don't think Phantasy Star II is a "perfect" fit for March's TR. But it's certainly close enough to work, especially if your party consists mainly of the female members.

Ideally we should all target '80s video games with female protagonists in the lead. But look folks, I understand some members will have to choose fringe games, because they have special circumstances* which keep them from playing perfect fits. Let's just all do the best we can, and have a good time next month.




*Emulatitis = A severe allergic reaction to emulation, causing grotesque swelling of the thumbs, burning ulcers in the eyes, and manic elation of the rectal region.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests