March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by Exhuminator »

crazythink4 wrote:Probably go with King’s Quest 4, The Guardian Legend

Even if Eighties' Ladies' Night doesn't win, you should still play these. Both are excellent experiences.

crazythink4 wrote:I’d probably do Terra Nova from good ol’ Looking Glass

Very good pick.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Metal Marines
Ranger X
Target Earth
Herzog Zwei

I've never beaten Herzog Zwei, but I've beaten the other three. Of said other three, Target Earth is the best. But that game is BRUTAL.

nullPointer wrote:Do unpiloted autonomous 'mechs' still count as mechs?

We could fall into a hair splitting rabbit hole of doom if we're not careful here. So let's say mechs require pilots.

Koei Klassics: Does Koei Tecmo count?

Sure. But only three are viable as 10+ year retro games:

1989 PC Genghis Khan
1990 PC Nobunaga's Ambition II
1998 PC Nobunaga no Yabou: Shouseiroku with Power-Up Kit

-

I'm not accusing anybody of anything, so no offense to anyone period. But let's not make a habit of intentionally trying to stretch the carefully defined rules of a given curator's choices. That borders on rude, and a lot of you have yet to be curators yourselves. I don't think you'd appreciate if people were trying to find ways to loophole your carefully laid plans, or ignore plainly obvious limitations. I'm just saying this going forward IN GENERAL. It's only February. We still have ten more months of choices to make, and many more curators to abide by. And if we're not going to strictly abide curators' designs, this TR setup is pointless. IMO I apologize if I'm coming off as rude, just how I feel.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:

Very good pick.

Point of order; criminally underrated and unknown game, but it's battle armor.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Exhuminator wrote:
I'm not accusing anybody of anything, so no offense to anyone period. But let's not make a habit of intentionally trying to stretch the carefully defined rules of a given curator's choices. That borders on rude, and a lot of you have yet to be curators yourselves. I don't think you'd appreciate if people were trying to find ways to loophole your carefully laid plans, or ignore plainly obvious limitations. I'm just saying this going forward IN GENERAL. It's only February. We still have ten more months of choices to make, and many more curators to abide by. And if we're not going to strictly abide curators' designs, this TR setup is pointless. IMO I apologize if I'm coming off as rude, just how I feel.

It seems to me like opinions seem to vary on how strict we should be. And maybe the curator of the month needs to say in their vote thread how strict they are about it.

And I don’t mean any offense by this, but you do seem pretty strict about this. I mean, your options are all pretty specific and you really want to make sure people are following them to a T. And that’s cool if that’s what you want and you’re making it clear. I know I personally will respect your guidelines and everyone here seems pretty respectful so I’m sure they’ll do their best. But other people in these threads have seemed to be okay with people bending the rules if it increases participation, so I just don’t feel like there would need to be a set in stone no fudging it rule.
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:

Very good pick.

Point of order; criminally underrated and unknown game, but it's battle armor.

Well, looks like I’m sitting March out then.

Seems like this particular month is encouraging a bunch of gatekeeping and stomping on people’s choices, rather than trying to encourage participation. I guess that’s more fun for some people.

I’ll wait until April, assuming that this situation doesn’t repeat.

(And apologies for having the gall to suggest Fatal Frame 2. I read a “Top 10 Koei Tecmo games” list and it was included. I didn’t check to see that it was made by Tecmo before the merger. Wasn’t intentionally trying to wreck everything.)

I apologize if I'm coming off as rude, but that’s just how I feel.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Sorry, my comment was directed at Ex for agreeing to something that violates his own rules he's trying so hard to gatekeep; I didn't intend for you to feel excluded.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:Sorry, my comment was directed at Ex for agreeing to something that violates his own rules he's trying so hard to gatekeep; I didn't intend for you to feel excluded.

Actually I mentioned Terra Nova a few pages back as a mech game. I was under the impression that it was, so it's on me. Sorry guys.

That said, there are still a ton of options available if mechs end up winning. I know we can find something for everyone to enjoy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

crazythink4 wrote:Seems like this particular month is encouraging a bunch of gatekeeping and stomping on people’s choices, rather than trying to encourage participation.

Only trying to encourage participation within specifically designed frameworks.

crazythink4 wrote:(And apologies for having the gall to suggest Fatal Frame 2. I read a “Top 10 Koei Tecmo games” list and it was included.

The choice is "Koei Klassics", not "Tecmo Koei Klassics". Tecmo Koei (now known as Koei Tecmo) is a different entity than Koei was. It's just not the same thing. The point of the Koei Klassics choice was to encourage playing games from the Koei era. Trying to get folks to play any of the (very many) games Koei made under the Koei name. You will likely still have a chance to play Fatal Frame 2 for a TR. I'm sure at least one curator will have a horror TR theme choice before the year is over.

MrPopo wrote:Sorry, my comment was directed at Ex for agreeing to something that violates his own rules he's trying so hard to gatekeep; I didn't intend for you to feel excluded.

It's true, I forgot in Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri the player controls a powered battle suit, not a mech. I hadn't played this game since 1996, so my memory was a little hazy on it. Thankfully we have members such as yourself to keep things straight.

ESauced wrote:you do seem pretty strict / your options are all pretty specific / you really want to make sure people are following them to a T / other people seemed okay with bending rules if it increases participation

I will address this in the main TR thread. I don't want to digress this voting thread further.

-

At this point it looks like Premillennial Mech Madness is gonna win. Should that be the case, there will be TONS of possible games to play, which fit the theme well.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the Mech Madness topic is probably the most open and option-rich of the options provided. I think it will allow gamers of every stripe to find something that fits them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:I think the Mech Madness topic is probably the most open and option-rich of the options provided. I think it will allow gamers of every stripe to find something that fits them.

It's also obliterating most of the competition, so I find it likely that it's what we're gonna end up with. Suits me just fine though.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

AWW MAN! I was so looking forward to playing Jill of the Jungle!

... I voted for mechs and rts considering How many rts games I own would fit that I want to play!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.