March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:Sorry, I can’t tell which part of your post is a joke. Is Teleroboxer a mech? If so, that’ll be the second pre 2000 mech game that I forgot I owned and have played. I didn’t think I’d played any until this discussion started.

The manual refers to them as "robots", and doesn't say how large they are.

It does say the robots mimic the moves of their human controllers.

Now, I've always understood mechs as machines the pilot sits inside of, but! I am cool with folks playing Teleroboxer for PMM for reasons. First off, the Virtual Boy always deserves more love, always. Secondly, Teleroboxer is a cool game (and tough). Thirdly, I'd much rather come down like a sack of tasty gummy gavels than obstinate hammers. Fourthly, I want people to have fun in March! I don't want folks driving themselves crazy trying to decide what a "mech" truly is. Fifthly, uh... well, I just wanted to keep this reason train going but I'm out of track now.

alienjesus wrote:The Mystical Ninja 2 starring Goemon (N64). Impact counts as a mech right?

IIRC you only control Impact at certain points in the game right? My vision for a "mech" game, is you are always controlling a mech(s) (like 90% of the time at least).

But!

I'm not shooting to be a super hardass with March's TR. I mean, being a super hardass is my default modus operandi, yes. But in this instance, not at the risk of ruining people's fun. I certainly want folks to try and adhere to whichever theme wins for March. Yet the last thing I want is folks feeling left out in the cold, or feeling like they have to have a peer jury from the Supreme Court of Retro Gaming Law judge their picks' viability. I'm far more interested in us living it up playing retro games, than I am beating us down with strict rules. Let's just do the best we can, and have a good time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Kiss the hat.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I do think it's clear that Mechs will be winning this one, barring some unexpected oddity. I'm fairly sure that I'll play VOOT, although there's some weirdo retro compilations which I'm not sure if any of them might feature mech games I don't know about. Probably not?

Atari Flashback Classics Vol 1 & 2
Midway Arcade Origins (360)
Rare Replay
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Sorry, I can’t tell which part of your post is a joke. Is Teleroboxer a mech? If so, that’ll be the second pre 2000 mech game that I forgot I owned and have played. I didn’t think I’d played any until this discussion started.

The manual refers to them as "robots", and doesn't say how large they are.

It does say the robots mimic the moves of their human controllers.

Now, I've always understood mechs as machines the pilot sits inside of, but! I am cool with folks playing Teleroboxer for PMM for reasons. First off, the Virtual Boy always deserves more love, always. Secondly, Teleroboxer is a cool game (and tough). Thirdly, I'd much rather come down like a sack of tasty gummy gavels than obstinate hammers. Fourthly, I want people to have fun in March! I don't want folks driving themselves crazy trying to decide what a "mech" truly is. Fifthly, uh... well, I just wanted to keep this reason train going but I'm out of track now.

alienjesus wrote:The Mystical Ninja 2 starring Goemon (N64). Impact counts as a mech right?

IIRC you only control Impact at certain points in the game right? My vision for a "mech" game, is you are always controlling a mech(s) (like 90% of the time at least).

But!

I'm not shooting to be a super hardass with March's TR. I mean, being a super hardass is my default modus operandi, yes. But in this instance, not at the risk of ruining people's fun. I certainly want folks to try and adhere to whichever theme wins for March. Yet the last thing I want is folks feeling left out in the cold, or feeling like they have to have a peer jury from the Supreme Court of Retro Gaming Law judge their picks' viability. I'm far more interested in us living it up playing retro games, than I am beating us down with strict rules. Let's just do the best we can, and have a good time.

Haha, no worries. As I said, Mystical Ninja 2 is just a slightly trolly pick I intend to play once I've exhausted all of the real mech options I want to play :wink:

As for Teleroboxer, the robots are smaller than I though, but they still range from 12-16 foot according to the games manual (they list the heights on the robot bios, a few pages later than the screenshot you posted! - http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_Virtual_Boy/Manual/formated/Teleroboxer_-_1995_-_Nintendo.pdf) . They're not the towering behemoths Mechs can often be, but they're also not just toy rock-em sock-em robots. I'll be playing it for sure.

Also, worth noting I've played a few of the obvious choices like Virtual On and Cybernator before, so I'm trying to find interesting stuff in different genres to follow up on the topic 8)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:Also, worth noting I've played a few of the obvious choices like Virtual On and Cybernator before, so I'm trying to find interesting stuff in different genres to follow up on the topic

Should PMM win, in the main thread for March's TR, I will list some personal endorsements for folks to check out. Maybe you'll find some of those intriguing. Unless you're only trying to play specifically from an existing backlog, in which case I can't help too much.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Also, worth noting I've played a few of the obvious choices like Virtual On and Cybernator before, so I'm trying to find interesting stuff in different genres to follow up on the topic

Should PMM win, in the main thread for March's TR, I will list some personal endorsements for folks to check out. Maybe you'll find some of those intriguing. Unless you're only trying to play specifically from an existing backlog, in which case I can't help too much.

I'm kinda going 80/20 on it. I set myself some very strict goals in terms of both beating games and buying games in my 2018 goals thread, so I'm doing my best to use what I already have to conform to those objectives as much as possible.

I'm absolutely open to buying games for Together Retros where necessary or where a suggestion is particularly compelling though - I'm just aiming to minimise it to keep my objectives in check.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Mechwarrior 2

If PMM wins, I will certainly be playing that one as well. To my shame I've never beaten MW2 proper. I did beat the PS1 version of it, but that's just not the same. The PS1 version is rather arcade-like, not as deep in simulation or mission complexity as the PC original. Unfortunately when the original MW2 released, I couldn't get it to run worth a damn on my 486 33-MHz at the time. Better late than never!

Have you ever played Ghost Bear's Legacy or MW2: Mercs? I'll be cheering you on with MW2, but I personally feel it's the weakest of the three.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I've got access to all the MechWarrior games, so it's very possible I will play one of those. I remember watching my brother play through MechWarrior 3 on our old Pentium 166 MHz machine. It was a slide show, but he managed to beat it. He'd snipe units clear across the map. :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Have you ever played Ghost Bear's Legacy or MW2: Mercs? I'll be cheering you on with MW2, but I personally feel it's the weakest of the three.

Nope to either. I've not finished a single PC MW2 entry.

I did beat MW3 (sans Pirate's Moon) and loved it. I beat MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat on PS1, and enjoyed it. If I end up playing/enjoying MW2's PC stuff, I'll be open to MW1 and MW4 as well.

Sarge wrote:I remember watching my brother play through MechWarrior 3 on our old Pentium 166 MHz machine. It was a slide show, but he managed to beat it.

Interesting. I had a friend with a 486 66mhz, and he could run MW2 like greased lightning. He could also run System Shock 60FPS full screen in 640x480. I was jealous. My 486 33mhz was a joke in comparison.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.