Join in on our classic gaming club!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:That's Legend, Elkin. With no "s."

I say this because Final Fantasy Legends is now a thing. :lol:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/

lol, I was typing that on my phone, and it autocorrected "Legend" to "Legends" because of how much I talked about Fire Emblem Legends in a FB group chat a few weeks ago.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Exhuminator wrote:I am surprised at how many people are playing Mystic Quest. Is this a replay for most of you? I would have thought most folks would have beaten MQ by now. (I remember beating it back in 1992, over a single weekend rental.) I'm not chiding anyone, just genuinely surprised how many folks are playing MQ for what appears to be the first time.

I've beaten FF I - II & FF IV - IX. I've never played any of the spin-offs, lol. It just always seemed like there was another main series numbered title to tackle. Heck, it's still that way, lol. This month is a good opportunity to get off the well trodden path!

I'm slowly getting into FFT: War of the Lions. I'm wrapping up the tutorial segments due to the fact that as I've mentioned, tactical strategy really isn't my thing so the tutorials have helped ease me into the mechanics. I'm sure it will change once I really get into it, but so far this has been "Menu Management: The Game" (which is sort of my issue with strategy games in the first place). At any rate I'm staying hopeful, and I can see that the story here has some really interesting aspects.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:That's Legend, Elkin. With no "s."

I say this because Final Fantasy Legends is now a thing. :lol:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/

lol, I was typing that on my phone, and it autocorrected "Legend" to "Legends" because of how much I talked about Fire Emblem Legends in a FB group chat a few weeks ago.

In all seriousness, Final Fantasy Legends (Final Fantasy Dimensions in the U.S.) is legit good. It's a modern installment, done in the classic style. Just wish it wasn't an Android/iOS exclusive.

I wish there had been a Famicom Disk System Final Fantasy game. That would really rustle my jimmies.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I put about 4 hours into Kingdom Hearts this evening. My opinions are mixed so far.

On the one hand, it has its charms, silly as the story is. And it's somehow compelling enough to keep me moving forwards too.

On the other hand, it's really clunky. The combat is really rigid and you can't switch your combos between 2 different enemies on the fly, or even dodge roll out of an attack to avoid being hit. Donald dies constantly too.

Even worse is the games emphasis on platforming - frankly, it seems designed to conspire against you on it. Your jump is floaty and carries momentum even when you let go of the control stick, so you have to actively pull against it to stop forward momentum. All the surfaces to jump on seem to be domed, so you easily slip off. The camera controls are terrible (L2 and R2 instead of the right analogue stick - in a PS2 era game!) and the camera itself is also terrible as you can't see below you or above you, and it frequently gets caught on scenery making you unable to turn it to judge your platforming.

I'm genuinely surprised how clunky this feels, seeing as it clearly has a budget behind it. I certainly don't hate the game, it's fun enough, but man, I was hoping for something a little more refined feeling. The GBA game is definitely better than this one so far.

Also, I'm looking for my friends Rikku and Kairi, but Rikku was an asshole the entirety of the games opening, so I'm unsure why I'm meant to care about him. Good riddance.

If any of you have played the game before, Ive finished the intro segment and my first Disney world, which was Wonderland. I've moved onto Deep Jungle from Tarzan as my second.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

I've finished Mystic Quest quite a few times, and it's fun to go back once in a while for another retro trip.

Anyways, played a bit last night and went through the Bone Dungeon and got the first crystal.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:In all seriousness, Final Fantasy Legends (Final Fantasy Dimensions in the U.S.) is legit good. It's a modern installment, done in the classic style. Just wish it wasn't an Android/iOS exclusive.

I've got BlueStacks download to emulate Android on my PC. I may see about giving Dimensions a shot that way if it's as good as you say.

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I also started Kingdom Hearts tonight.

I really didn't know much about this game, but I was surprised to see Final Fantasy X characters right off the bat and an FF VII character shortly thereafter - I was kind of expecting the FF elements to be buried a bit deeper in the game. I can see why this game was big with teenagers; it all feels super-teen-y in terms of characters being cool looking but also having feelings and angst? And of course cartoony Disney characters, because why not. The combat and gameplay I've experienced thus far seem mostly like tutorial stuff, so I'm okay with the clunkiness alienjesus mentioned so far; we'll see if it starts grating on me once I get going.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

nullPointer wrote:tactical strategy really isn't my thing so the tutorials have helped ease me into the mechanics

I hope you end up enjoying it. I didn't play the PSP version, so I'm not sure how different it will be (difficulty wise). However, I did play the PS1 version via the PSP version's translation, and said translation was excellent. So that part of the PSP iteration I will vouch for.

-

Maybe after you guys finish beating Mystic Quest yet again, you can all try a FF spin-off you haven't played yet. :wink:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've beaten all the ones I own, playa. I've always enjoyed the FF spin-offs. In recent years they've managed to outshine the mainline games by a wide margin.

I put an hour into Mystic Quest tonight. Got dat first crystal. I feel compelled to fight every battle -- anyone else do this?

Dem respawning cure potions doe.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I managed to get to the end of World 4 of Legend last night before I went to bed. I intend to finish the game when I get home this afternoon and then start Mystic Quest either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.