32%
3D Zelda Clones
24%
Mizuguchi's Puzzles & Music
15%

Total votes : 68
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Vote Now!

by noiseredux Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Xeogred wrote:Maybe need to start locking down a year for a cutoff then.

I personally don't care. As long as people are playing *something* and having good conversation, I'm happy. But that's just me.

I voted Final Fantasy since I'm already planning on playing Mystic Quest sometime this year.

Awesome! I always had a soft spot for that game. It's super easy, yes. But I don't know. Nostalgia I guess. I always thought it was kind of unfairly hated. I think it was good for what it was, and I'd be happy to see someone playing it now and posting their thoughts.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:25 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:It is striking to realize the front end of the seventh gen is starting to hit sanctioned "10 year retro" territory. Slow down time! gyaddammm

holy shit... you just made me realize that I'm heading into ten years of being on this forum. Wow. Seriously, what the fuck, Time?

You know what they say: time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin into the future.

I voted Final Fantasy since I'm already planning on playing Mystic Quest sometime this year.

Awesome! I always had a soft spot for that game. It's super easy, yes. But I don't know. Nostalgia I guess. I always thought it was kind of unfairly hated. I think it was good for what it was, and I'd be happy to see someone playing it now and posting their thoughts.

It has an amazing soundtrack. I think the main reason it gets hate is because we were getting crazy stuff like SoM, FF4 & 6, and CT at the same time. If you played Mystic Quest after playing an NES RPG it presents much more favorably.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm

MrPopo wrote:I think the main reason it gets hate is because we were getting crazy stuff like SoM, FF4 & 6, and CT at the same time. If you played Mystic Quest after playing an NES RPG it presents much more favorably.

that's a really good point. It was the first SNES RPG I played, so I would have been comparing it to Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy (1) at the time. I didn't get to play Final Fantasy "II" and "III" until later.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:03 pm

MrPopo wrote:time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin into the future

♫♪ Turn and play the strange
G-g-games
Oh, look out you video gamers
G-g-g-g-games
Turn and play the strange
G-g-games
Pretty soon now you're gonna get older
Time may change games
But I can retrace time
I said that time may change games
But I can press rewind
♪♫

-

Personally speaking as a retro-Nazi jerkface, I think any TR pick should be at least ten years old. But that's just little ol' me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:30 pm

I've been able to free up some time to get back into the gaming groove lately. I'm feelin' some 3D Zelda clone action.

And the retro label is kinda hard to draw a line on. It probably should be an old game but if the category was "Metroidvania", I'd have a hard time telling somebody that they shouldn't play Ori and the Blind Forest or Shadow Complex.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Ack

by Ack Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Don't turn this into a debate about the nature of "retro" games. I've seen it play out a dozen times. It never ends well. The decade rule works pretty well, so just go with that.

Also, 3D Zelda clones... Okami instantly comes to mind. Dark Cloud has its moments, but I do not know about the sequel; I thought it was further into RPG territory. How about Beyond Good & Evil? Alundra? Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy? Legend of Kay?

Shoot, is Maximo close enough? Or Mark of Kri? Does 3D hack and slash enter the picture, or is that impeded by linearity?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 pm

I voted for Wonder Boy, and Mizuguchi games, because I didn't see any other choices. Also, I would love for more people to play them. I think we should just have both themes for February, combine the votes for those two categories, and call it there.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:56 pm

I love how varied the response has been. These categories are almost too competitive. Only one has more than 1/3 support!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:51 pm

marurun wrote:I love how varied the response has been. These categories are almost too competitive.

I have picked out ten wildly different categories for March's vote. It's going to be a bloodbath. :twisted:

-

Totally cool with retro 3D Zelda clones. Got a few in my PS2 and Game Cube collection I need an excuse to play. On the other hand, I can say the same thing about DS and PSP entries concerning FF spinoffs. It's a hard decision, but I'm happy either way.

Ack wrote:3D hack and slash

3D hack n' slash in general doesn't adhere to the Zelda template necessarily. I spent some time a few weeks ago playing Golden Axe: Beast Rider on 360, it was nothing at all like Zelda.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Tough decision. I rolled Monster World and FF spinoffs. 3D Zelda clones are also appealing, but I worry I've beaten most of those, haha!

Actually, I might have beaten most of the spinoffs, too. :( I'm totes up for finishing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, though.
Return to Together Retro