32%
3D Zelda Clones
24%
Mizuguchi's Puzzles & Music
15%

Total votes : 68
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Vote Now!

by alienjesus Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm

I voted wonder boy and final fantasy spinoffs. I actually don't own anything for the latter, but I think it's an interesting topic idea. I have 3 games that could fit the wonder boy/ adventure island theme though!

The mizuguchi idea was great, but I think I've finished allowing of his stuff you listed. I almost chose it over FF spinoffs though
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm

ESauced wrote:For Adventure Island there is also an Adventure Island IV on famicom. It’s a shame it didn’t make it to America because it actually does something different with the series after 2 and 3 we’re both so similar. 4 is not linear; you explore levels and get new weapons and power ups. I’ve only played it a bit but I’ll probably devote time to it if that category wins.

Didn't even know about this one.

The only other one that comes to mind is Star Fox Adventures.

Good call! I knew there were definitely other 3D clones that weren't coming to mind.

ESauced wrote:And I changed my vote from Zelda clones to Mizuguchi's Puzzles & Music already.

I probably should have the original post before voting in the first place because I didn’t recognize the name and assumed I wouldn’t have any games. I own every game you listed for that developer and love them all. I got Child of Eden free with Games with gold recently month and haven’t had a chance to play it. I’d love to sink my teeth into these games.

I don't think that this will win, but it's still early. If it does win I'd be glad to play some of these games on XBLA with you.

Markies wrote:Also, those are 4 distinct, varied and unique categories, so I'll be curious to see how the votes stack up around here.

Thank you! I really tried to come up with some ideas that might encourage some interesting games get played. :D

As an aside, I don't think I'm going to vote myself - unless it gets close to the polls closing and there's something really close then I might put my 2 cents in.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 pm

noiseredux wrote:As an aside, I don't think I'm going to vote myself - unless it gets close to the polls closing and there's something really close then I might put my 2 cents in.

I think that might be a good idea in general when it comes to these threads. The thread maker can be the tie-breaker.

Or maybe just have Racket flip a coin or something. Whatever works.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Even though it's on more modern consoles, would 3D Dot Game Heroes count as a 3D Zelda clone?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Even though it's on more modern consoles, would 3D Dot Game Heroes count as a 3D Zelda clone?

I would vote no but not just because it’s modern. 3d Dot Heroes is 3d (duh) and a Zelda clone, but it’s not a 3d Zelda clone. It plays like the 2d Zelda’s, not like the 3d Zeldas, so really it’s a 3d 2d Zelda clone.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

3D Dot Game Heroes is a Golden Axe Warrior clone. :)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:06 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Even though it's on more modern consoles, would 3D Dot Game Heroes count as a 3D Zelda clone?

Yes. It is also 9 years old...almost old enough to be considered as a candidate for a TR game itself.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

dsheinem wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Yes. It is also 9 years old...almost old enough to be considered as a candidate for a TR game itself.

It is striking to realize the front end of the seventh gen is starting to hit sanctioned "10 year retro" territory. Slow down time! gyaddammm
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Exhuminator wrote:It is striking to realize the front end of the seventh gen is starting to hit sanctioned "10 year retro" territory. Slow down time! gyaddammm

holy shit... you just made me realize that I'm heading into ten years of being on this forum. Wow. Seriously, what the fuck, Time?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Maybe need to start locking down a year for a cutoff then.

I voted Final Fantasy since I'm already planning on playing Mystic Quest sometime this year.
Return to Together Retro