Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platformers)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

Post by Exhuminator »

ESauced wrote:Well if you didn’t like Rescue Rangers 1, then you won’t like the sequel either. It’s just a worse version of the first one.

This is so true.

I was surprised Elkin didn't like C&DRR. I had the game as a kid and enjoyed it (usually played co-op). So I may be nostalgia biased there.

alienjesus wrote:You're blasting through these! Well done!
Well
There's a few factors at play here. For starters, platformers are one of my favorite genres. Another aspect is I really enjoyed searching the platformers of yesteryear for unusual licensed games. And lastly, platformers are pretty short to beat in general. Most platformers take less than an hour to beat, provided one is moderately decent at the genre. That said, I don't see myself beating 10 games for each successive TR this year. This month was kinda special due to the above factors.

-

We have about a week left in January, I hope a few more folks chime in with some licensed platformer experiences. If you guys are wore out on the Disney train, but still want to play it safe with mainstream selections, don't forget about Looney Tunes. Bugs, Daffy, Porky, Taz, Wile E. Coyote, even Speedy have many games across a wide variety of systems.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Oh yeah, here's my review of Duck Tales 2.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

And my final pick was...

An Aliens game. Made by freaking SquareSoft, during their darkest days.
For the MSX.
It was also made for the Famicom!
But that version was never published.
Threw that money away didn't ya SquareSoft?

Please understand:

Ripley's gotta save Newt, but who can save Ripley from this game?
Not a great licensed platformer. But you will jump. And you will shoot.
And you will die from rolling into holes.
There's so many weird things about this game's existence.
Full review here.

-
The 10 licensed platformers I beat for this TR were:

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis) 7/10
2. Hyper Iria (Super Famicom) 8/10
3. RoboCop Versus The Terminator (Genesis) 6/10
4. Appleseed: Oracle of Prometheus (Super Famicom) 3/10
5. Hyper Speed GranDoll (PlayStation) 7/10
6. RoboCop (Arcade) 5/10
7. The Terminator (SEGA CD) 7/10
8. Zillion II: The Tri-Formation Cycle (Master System) 8/10
9. Super Back to the Future II (Super Famicom) 7/10
10. Aliens: Alien 2 (MSX) 4/10

This was a fun theme AJ. Great Job!

And I'm done folks. See ya next month.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I know it's not a platformer, but since I'm trying to go through the whole Disney Afternoon Collection, I decided I'd include TaleSpin anyway.

nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Mickey Mousecapade [NES]
I managed to squeeze another one in this month, but to be fair this game is a lot shorter than I ever remember it being. And in truth I didn't remember much about this game whatsoever, which is probably a testament to that brevity. It's ... a'iiiiight, certainly nothing to get terribly worked up about. I recorded some thoughts over in the Games Beaten thread. It has some historical significance in that it's the first Disney licensed Capcom game to be released on the NES, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's a historically good game (and it was actually developed by Hudson Soft in the first place). Despite the length issues I had some fun blowing through this one, and it's certainly better than some of the other licensed platformers I didn't even bother finishing this month. Yes, I'm looking at you Tintin. Walk away in shame.

This will probably be my last licensed platformer this month (although who knows!). I definitely enjoyed the theme this month, and I'm also looking forward to next month!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Beat another clump of games for the SMS, all from Sega.

First up was The Lucky Dime Caper featuring Donald Duck which sounds like mid-noughties crunk album but is really an occasionally good, mostly middling but never great platform adventure. I wanted to like this one as I have always preferred Donald over Mickey but there's some stuff that holds it back. One obvious flaw is the power up system which is never really explained. You start with a hammer to swat enemies away with but one hit removes your ability to use it. If you take another hit you die. That's fine, aside from some occasionally dodgy hitboxes, but the game fails to feed this information back to the player.

The HUD is very minimal with the only indicator on the screen being a mostly superfluous time meter. No life counter, nothing to show which weapon you have equipped (or don't), no health bar. You collect star shaped power-ups but even then they seem to do nothing until five are collected and a brief window of invincibility is activated. Apparently what you want though is to stay at four cards as this powers up Donald's hammer/frisbee as collecting the fifth gives the invincibility but resets the counter.

It's not a bad game though by any means just an unnecessarily flawed one. A bit more care and attention to the gameplay to match the stellar graphics and music and it would be a genuine classic.

Next up was Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse. This was much better. I liked Castle of Illusion on the SMS a lot (it is also sufficiently different from the MD version to be worth owning both) but it's a pretty easy and quite short affair. Land of Illusion, while not really a tough game does beef up the challenge and adds some meat to the bones. There's some light adventuring here and there with Mickey often unable to progress until he backtracks to a previous level to find an alternate path. You pick up a few handy items along the way, even if only two of them (shrinking potion and climbing rope) have any use inside levels but they're needed to get to the end of the game.

Like I say there is backtracking of a sort and the potion and rope open up more potential but don't go expecting this to be some sort of Mickeyvania; the game is still pretty linear and level based despite the connective tissue of a world map.

Overall though I did really enjoy this one. It's just some clean, fun platforming goodness.

Finally rounding out my SMS voyage was Asterix and it is the best of the bunch. Essentially two games in one it kind of reminds me of Sega's own World of Illusion on the Mega Drive in that you can choose between both the titular Asterix and his buddy Obelix and tackle the levels as you see fit. I don't think there are different paths for the two unlike WOI but you can swap characters between levels here. So if you're stuck at a part with the more nimble but weaker Asterix you can come back in and try and brute force it with Obelix. At least you can if you lose all your lives anyway. It's not a perfect system but it does give you some flexibility which is always a good thing.

Asterix and Obelix play completely differently as well which is cool. As mentioned Asterix is kind of your standard platform character and has a basic punch to defend himself. Obelix however is a big lumbering guy, slower than Asterix and less useful on any forced scrolling sections due to his sheer size but he is able to destroy silver blocks without the need of any power ups meaning he's good for slower more methodical collection based play. He also wrecks bosses.

The game is pretty chunky outside of Obelix's frame, with 7 locations across the Roman Empire, from Gaul to Illyria to Eygpt, each split into 3 levels with a final climatic showdown at the Coloseo itself. This game is more overtly what I'd call an adventure platformer, that is, quite a few levels require you to obtain keys or items to progress and this will mean backtracking in a level. It's not a chore though and Asterix is very well paced. There are again some niggles with hitboxes, probably owning to the gorgeously drawn but pretty massive character sprites both for enemies and player characters but it's not as annoying as in Lucky Dime Caper. This game can also be a real challenge later on with some pretty precise platforming needed.

Great stuff though. You can see Sega really squeezing the most out of the Master System with these games. They might not be the deepest or longest set of games on the console but Asterix and LOI are two of the most fun. And the Master System is still the king of blues and greens. So much pop!

I also popped in and to my surprise finally beat Super Star Wars. God damn this game. It's relentless with enemies flying at you from all over the place and little time to stop and think. In fact if you do try and stop for a breather, SSW will just throw and additional 40,000 wamp rats at your face to get you moving again. Madness. The actual platforming is the wrong side of stiff and the unrelenting barrage of enemies is exacerbated by levels that go on and on, it's too easy to get locked in hit-stun and there are even a few unforgivably irritating leaps of faith moments, the lightsabre really is no match for a good blaster and bosses take the approach of covering the screen with as much unavoidable bullshit as they can as opposed to being a challenge. And still I actually think it's a pretty good time all round. The Star Wars branding definitely helps alleviate things but I'd say overall, while it can be annoying while actually in the game, you do feel a real sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after you beat that level or boss. The mode7 bits add some nice variation as well. Recommended but only for the patient.

Still got one more game I'd like to beat then I think that'll do for this month. Good choice for the first new TR and has been a good way to tackle my backlog.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So, with Asterix - some of the levels are the same regardless of which character you play, but some levels are entirely different stages - it's worth playing the game twice and choosing the opposite character for each stage if you want to see everything the game has to offer. I personally really like the sequel too!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think Super Star Wars is the hardest of the trilogy to beat because of the lack of passwords. Super Empire has the hardest levels, but you can practice them all without having to go through half the game first each time.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Trucking along through the Disney Afternoon Collection. See my thoughts here on Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

alienjesus wrote:So, with Asterix - some of the levels are the same regardless of which character you play, but some levels are entirely different stages - it's worth playing the game twice and choosing the opposite character for each stage if you want to see everything the game has to offer. I personally really like the sequel too!

Cool, I'll have to go through with Obelix then as I did a pretty much 100% Asterix run. And yeah, I've got the sequel coming soonish. Bought it pretty much as soon as I finished the last game. Noticed Master System stuff is starting to get up there now in price but hey ho.

MrPopo wrote:I think Super Star Wars is the hardest of the trilogy to beat because of the lack of passwords. Super Empire has the hardest levels, but you can practice them all without having to go through half the game first each time.

Hmm, thanks for this, I wasn't aware. I may have to scout out a copy of Empire and Jedi then.

If Asterix and the Secret Mission comes before February starts then Disney's Action Game Featuring Hercules, as it's rather ponderously know here in Europe, is...well an action game based on Disney's Hercules.

Quick story: a demo of this game's Big Olive level came on certain discs with the Playstation around 1997 when I got my first PS1. I played a lot of it and really liked it thinking it like an updated Aladdin, what with the platforming and sword slashing. Never bought it though, could never find it in shops. Had a million copies of Tarzan and Quack Attack in my local Electronics Boutique but never DAGFH.

Hercules is an interesting title. It's a Eurocom game which explains a lot. They tended to make solid 7/10 games, stuff that could have been really great but for a few flaws. Thinking of The World is Not Enough and 40 Winks here. With Hercules they've made a very solid 2D platformer with lush graphics, great music, some cool bosses and set pieces but then let themselves down with some stiff controls and a bunch of redundant features.

So the controls are kind of a given for this sort of highly animated type of game. Everything seems to have a delay and it can get a bit tiresome when you're doing some of the trickier segments. It also easy to get swarmed by enemies and be hopelessly slashing at the air half a second after you asked. This stuff sucks but it is manageable and the game is fairly generous with health and lives to mitigate this.

What is most bothersome though are stuff in the game that is just pointless. At the lesser end of this is the punch move. It's slow, doesn't have as much reach as the sword and while your sword can be temporarily powered up, you fists can't. Pointless.

Worse though is the game's continue and save system. Throughout the games 9 main levels you will find letters that spell out our titular heroes name. Collect all the letters and you get an extra continue. Pretty sweet, eh? Well not really as the letters are so well hidden and gated by the toughest platforming challenges it's more than likely that to find them all, you're already so proficient at the game you don't actually need them.

Saving is even worse. In each level there are pots. These pots can either give you an extra life or, if you get four non-life giving ones, allow you to save on completion of the level. Again though, the pots are so well hidden or trickily placed that to get them all on one run, you will probably not need to save anyway before the showdown with Hades. Really bizarre. There's a password system anyway which means these days it takes as much effort to get back to the level you were on as a google search.

Still, searching for these bonuses is kind of its own reward, despite their lack of functionality. At least Eurocom learnt their lesson for Tarzan and made the secret items unlock bonus games and clips from the film.

DAGFH is a £5 game to me. Graphically it still holds up and the game mixes things up with a few chase sections and even one pseudo-shooter level to compliment the pretty standard but quite enjoyable platforming. But it's also hella short, pretty easy (the final boss is a joke) and prone to spurts of bad design.