Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which theme for January's Together Retro (Pick 2, pls read 1st post!)

Treasure Box (Treasure games)
26%
Ultimate Play Rare's Games (Rareware games)
15%
The Legend of the Zelda Clones (top-down action adventures)
22%
Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D platformers)
37%

Total votes : 54
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Let's vote on January's Together Retro theme!

by noiseredux Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 am

I'm thinking I'll use this month to replay the Ducktales remake which was excellent.

I'm thinking this will be a good excuse to look at the Disney Afternoon Collection, and there's also that Castle Of Illusion remake.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 am

noiseredux wrote:I'm thinking I'll use this month to replay the Ducktales remake which was excellent.

I'm thinking this will be a good excuse to look at the Disney Afternoon Collection, and there's also that Castle Of Illusion remake.

Those sound like my plans!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Those remakes came out in 2013, and are not legit retro games. They're modern games aping a retro style. I don't think they're compliant with what TR is supposed to be.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Exhum, you're continuing your slide into grumpy old manhood.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:24 pm

MrPopo wrote:Exhum, you're continuing your slide into grumpy old manhood.

If suggesting people should play legitimate retro games for together retro makes me "a grumpy old man", so be it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 pm

But if the goal is participation then a remake of a retro game seems cool to me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Those remakes came out in 2013, and are not legit retro games. They're modern games aping a retro style. I don't think they're compliant with what TR is supposed to be.

You aren’t serious, are you? TR has always welcomed people playing games from any era that have a connection to the chosen title(s).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Exhum, you're continuing your slide into grumpy old manhood.

If suggesting people should play legitimate retro games for together retro makes me "a grumpy old man", so be it.

That plus your Gen X thread and your comments in games beaten about not enough people listing older stuff.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:01 pm

I'll probably play Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu as well, though I'll be playing the PC Engine version.

Probably also play Magical Quest 3 on Super Famicom, and... Tarzan on n64? That's "2.5d", does it count?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:17 pm

dsheinem wrote:You aren’t serious, are you? TR has always welcomed people playing games from any era that have a connection to the chosen title(s).

I had been under the belief that Together Retro was based on playing a game that was actually old.

Using your description above, if the Together Retro was "Zelda", someone could play Breath of the Wild, and despite BotW releasing this year, it would still count as somehow participating in a retro event. That circumstance doesn't make logical sense to me. If someone wanted to play DuckTales for "licensed platformer" TR, it would make sense for that person to play the 1989 NES release. Not so much for a 2013 remake.

This is not me being a "grumpy old man", but rather explaining how I perceived Together Retro to work. I always thought the point of TR was to play legitimately old games, and then talk about them. That's just my take on the matter is all. I'm not trying to tell you, or anyone else, what they should, or should not play. I'm not saying; "I'm right, you're wrong". Nor do I claim any dominion over the proceedings. But I do encourage fellow members to play games that are at least ten years old for Together Retro, as I believe it fits the concept more sincerely.

MrPopo wrote:your comments in games beaten about not enough people listing older stuff.

God forbid a guy to expect the majority of games beaten in a "retro forum" to actually be retro. I don't know what I was thinking with that nonsense. I apologize for my misunderstanding of this forum's intent.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro