Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which theme for January's Together Retro (Pick 2, pls read 1st post!)

Treasure Box (Treasure games)
26%
Ultimate Play Rare's Games (Rareware games)
15%
The Legend of the Zelda Clones (top-down action adventures)
22%
Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D platformers)
37%

Total votes : 54
marurun

Re: Let's vote on January's Together Retro theme!

by marurun Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am

I voted for Treasure and Licensed, because that's just how I feel, yo!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am

alienjesus wrote:Anyone who submitted once, I've added the option to resubmit your votes so you can easily just go and add the second one.

I'll still be sure to add yours at the end dunpeal!

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 am

Quick question: you have suggested selections, but if we were to branch out on our own with a choice that relates (say licensed platformers wins, and I go with Disney's Bonkers), that is perfectly cool, right?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am

Ack wrote:Quick question: you have suggested selections, but if we were to branch out on our own with a choice that relates (say licensed platformers wins, and I go with Disney's Bonkers), that is perfectly cool, right?

Absolutely. They were just ideas to illustrate the types of games you might want to play.
Ack

by Ack Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 am

Awesome, thanks for the info. This could be quite interesting.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Daaang, these are some tough choices. I actually have an Unfinished Game for each of them!

Treasure Box = Mischief Makers
Ultimate Play Rare's Games = Donkey Kong Country
The Legend of the Zelda Clones = Crystalis
Licensed To Thrill = Batman (NES)

I chose the bottom two because those are the most I am excited about playing. I think I might be able to participate on it, but it depends on what games I am playing in the New Year.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Treasure and licensed platformers for me. I did vote for both, so don't add anything to the tally for me!

I like all of these choices, though. If Zelda clones somehow slip through, I've got a few suggestions, and I'd love to see everyone else's as well!

(Markies, all of those games are phenomenal.)

My personal choices for each category:

Treasure: Combine two categories by playing McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure!
Rare: Battletoads, baby. Although I really don't want to try to beat that again, so... how about the updated version of Perfect Dark?
Zelda: For retro, gonna go with Willow. For modern-retro, Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King.
Licensed platformers: Tempted to go with DuckTales 2, which seems to get ignored compared to its predecessor, but I think Aladdin on SNES is a fine choice as well. It also gets less respect for not being the ultra-fluid Genesis version, but I like the gameplay and level design better in the SNES game.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Treasure - I'd definitely do Ikaruga
Rare - Conker's Bad Fur Day
Licensed - Probably McKids. Maybe Tiny Toon Adventures
Zelda - Crystalis
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm

These are all great choices.

I absolutely LOVE Treasure's game library, but I feel like we have already covered Treasure a lot in Together Retro. Don't you agree?

On the other hand, Rare is a company that we maybe have not given a lot of playtime in Together Retro. Much like Noise, I haven't given sufficient playtime to my Rare compilation on XBOX One. I also get the chance to plow through Donkey Kong Country on my SNES mini.

I really love the licensed 2D platformer idea. There are tons of great hidden gems here, plus most of this would be super easy to emulate. Also, this covers a bunch of the Treasure games that we haven't already played for Together Retro already. Plus, I've always been a sucker for puns. "Licensed to Thrill" :lol: Let's do it!

Legend of Zelda clones is also a neat idea, but I'm not sure I can commit the time to play multiple games in this vein. I would probably wind up starting a bunch and never finishing knowing me :roll:

Ultimately, I'm voting for Rare and Licensed to Thrill.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 pm

What I'd play for each category:

Treasure Box - I can replay Gunstar & Guardian Heroes and try for completion on Mischeif Makers. Plus I've been meaning to pick up Gunstar Super Heroes and Wario World for ages. I'd also highly recommend Bangai O and Bangai-O Spirits to people, they're fantastic.

Ultimate Play Rare's Games - I'd be looking to pick up at least 3 of my remaining 4 Rare N64 games and play those - Goldeneye, Killer Instinct Gold and Mickey's Speedway USA. The last game I'd need is Conker's Bad Fur Day, but that's a bit outside my price range for now!

The Legend of the Zelda Clones - I have a few of these already waiting to be played - I've got Soleil (Crusader of Centy in the US) and Crystalis to play. 3D Dot Game Heroes too, even though it's not retro, would be a fun one to finish the month with. I also wouldn't mind just straight up replaying Zelda 1 or A Link to the Past, it's been a while.

Licensed to Thrill - I have a few unfinished games that'd fit this already - Batman and Little Nemo for NES and Mickey's Wild Adventure for PS1. I'm sure finding more wouldn't be too hard either.
Return to Together Retro