Join in on our classic gaming club!
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Re: Together Retro: The Quake Series / Quake Live server

by that1crzywhtguy Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:30 pm

OMG I'm totally in. Man... Reminds me of bein a kiddo... I played quake 2 online till my wrists were worn out! I remember the summer after 5th grade going with my dad to work (he worked at PC World Magazine in SF) so I could use the T1 connection... Good times... T1 internet in 97' was the truth!!! New saturn mod chip on it's way, and I'm gonna be def playin some quake.
Ghudda
128-bit

by Ghudda Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Yup, this is going to be good.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Ghudda wrote:Yup, this is going to be good.

Ghudda whooped my ass, but helped me make sure it was working. Thanks!

I'll look for some folks starting around 9pm EST. Who's planning to play?
Ghudda
128-bit

by Ghudda Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:28 pm

ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:42 pm

The last time I played the original Quake was 1997. I'm ready to do it again. Just installed the CD version and I'll be using DirectQ to play. It looks like a real Windows game now.

I also have Q3 Arena on the DC with the keyboard and mouse.

I'll be on Quake Live as well -- username TorgoPizza.

Anyone beside me play the Quake arcade game? It was a very limited release by LazerTron around 1998.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:48 pm

my only prior experience with the series has been Q3A on Dreamcast. I actually did play it online, which was cool. But yeah, my experience is limited.

I decided I'd start at the beginning (a good place to start, as they say). I bought the Steam version and loaded up the patch that DSH suggested. I'm also doing something pretty out of character here - I'm playing it w/ keyboard and mouse. I figured what the heck. Why not at least try the game the way it was meant to be played. Plus the one time I did try this game in the past, the Pinnacle controller profile for it didn't feel right. The CD-ROM version I swore I held on to, but can't find it now, although I've got copies of II along with 2 expansions and III.

Anyway, I'm on the 3rd level now and... wow. Just really wow. This game is excellent. I'm looking forward to playing through this one now.

As far as playing Quake Live, I'll plan to keep an eye on the schedule here. I *may* hop in tonight, but not certain yet. (Does QL have controller support?)
Ghudda
128-bit

by Ghudda Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:57 pm

noiseredux wrote:As far as playing Quake Live, I'll plan to keep an eye on the schedule here. I *may* hop in tonight, but not certain yet. (Does QL have controller support?)

They patched in support for controllers so it does work (though I havn't ever used a controller with QL). Evidently it's a breeze (especially if you're using a 360 controller) and you just have to enable it in settings. Quake Live is much easier to setup and get into since they gave access to it via Steam (used to have to get browser plugins and launch via browser).

On the topic of Quake single player, i've played none of it and I should. I'll do some of that during the together retro for sure. Looking forward to playing some matches with everyone. I rarely play Quake Live on my own so it'll be fun to play with some familiar faces.
Ack

Re: Together Retro: The Quake Series

by Ack Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 pm

MrPopo wrote:The regular shotgun is good for action at a distance. It's spread is quite tight so it's useful for sniping enemies. Granted, the machine gun is also good for that, but there is a level of ammo management in the game that can make the regular shotty good for sniping.

Thanks for the advice, this really upped my game in the jail section, especially when dealing with those flying drones. I had some issues there at the start because I didn't have any heavy firepower yet to deal with the groups I came across, and at one point I ended up going back to the pistol because I was near empty on everything and needed to conserve. I have since rectified that situation by finding the grenade launcher and hyperblaster. I have also killed the first boss, deactivated the security computer, and have gone on to the Mines.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Since I'm done with Descent I'm going to bounce back and forth between Q1MP2 and Q2MP2. My way of approaching them is I'll play until I die, saving at the beginning of each level. It keeps me from getting too frustrated when I get off my groove.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Quake Series / Quake Live TONIGHT 9p

by noiseredux Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:57 pm

dsheinem wrote:password: racketgibs

how is the password not BALLZ3D? Lame.

Anyway, up to the boss of Episode I and Quake now.
Return to Together Retro